Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Unlimited BB - Only getting 768kpbs........

This is a discussion on Sky Unlimited BB - Only getting 768kpbs........ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hope someone may be able to help! Been with Sky 2 years, and over the past year connection speed has ...

mikuma is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Unlimited BB - Only getting 768kpbs........

Hope someone may be able to help!

Been with Sky 2 years, and over the past year connection speed has dropped significantly. Paying that extra tenner for upto 16 mb downloads and line tests show only 768kpbs.........

Been away for last year travelling and parents didn't even notice!

Phoned Sky who gave me an excuse they can only configure my line to 768kpbs downstream as BT have limited the "power" to the line? Are they giving me a BS excuse here? I have my line rental through BT.

They said i need to phone BT to see if they can maybe increase the power, but seen as im not thier BB customer SKY thought they wouldnt be very helpful. Which doesn't really help alot.

SKY mentoned getting my line rental through them instead and they could then give me more speed? Any extra cost involved in this?

Details of the router are:

ADSL Firmware Version : A2pB023b.d20e
      DownStream Connection Speed : 768 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed : 412 kbps
      VPI : 0
      VCI : 38

Line Attenuation 54.0 db 35.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.3 db 13.5 db

Thanks for any insights!

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Unlimited BB - Only getting 768kpbs........

Quote Originally Posted by mikuma View Post
      Phoned Sky who gave me an excuse they can only configure my line to 768kpbs downstream as BT have limited the "power" to the line? Are they giving me a BS excuse here? I have my line rental through BT.

They said i need to phone BT to see if they can maybe increase the power,
      They are bs'ing you, and from the sounds of it misinforming you that things would be better with line rental via them.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

With that attenuation, you should be looking at 3-4mb or so as a rough guestimate. Are those stats from your master socket or an extension socket? If so, then put it in the test socket. Just search for the master socket (look for any BT/Openreach logos in the top left of the socket) and unscrew the two screws in the bottom half of the socket then put a filter with the router connected into the socket to the right after you have taken the faceplate off.

Stick up the stats after you've done that and we'll be able to tell you if you're being capped. It'd also be good to supply the following info:

Any crackles/pops/static on the telephone line?

How many telephone sockets do you use? Where are they located in the house?

What do you have connected to each socket (be as specific as you can) and is the router connected to the master socket at the moment?

Lastly, the router - is it connected with the light grey ADSL cable SKY supplied or an extension rj11 cable?

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikuma View Post
      Hope someone may be able to help!
      Details of the router are:

ADSL Firmware Version : A2pB023b.d20e
      DownStream Connection Speed : 768 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed : 412 kbps
      VPI : 0
      VCI : 38

Line Attenuation 54.0 db 35.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.3 db 13.5 db
      Those stats are pretty high. Do you know your line length at all? Those stats would suggest a line length at roughly around 3.5Km-4Km line distance from the exchange. If your recorded line length is shorter than this then we have a real problem here. Follow the instructions from the previous post as your speed does go on a few factors and 1 being the length of cabling and quality of cable from your telephone exchange to your master point in the house. Go back to the very basics of your physical setup. Put 1 filter into your master socket (closest to the front door with either a T logo, BT logo or BT openreach logo on the faceplate) and connect the short grey cable from the modem side of the filter to the back of your router where it says ADSL. Off course add power to the router and then copy and paste your router stats into a notepad. Do the same in the test socket and copy and paste the router stats and we can see if there is a massive difference between the 2. As far as the whole "power" thing on your line that is the biggest load of BS i have heard in my life and whoever that agent was they need a serious kick in the ar**. What you are trying to elimate here is the fact of any possible internal wiring issue or setup issue causing your speed to decrease due to the amount of errors gathering on the connection. Your connection could be dropping out and you do not notice this which means that everytime it comes on the speed is alot slower. When testing these 2 factors make sure there is no other equipment connected just the router and 1 filter via the grey cable.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Just to clarify, the master socket is not always the one nearest the front door but it should be the first box connecte to the cable that comes into the house from the outside.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      With that attenuation, you should be looking at 3-4mb or so as a rough guestimate
      More like 5-6mbps.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      More like 5-6mbps.
      I think 4-5, amy more takers???

mikuma is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys!

Right found the master socket, took faceplate off and plugged just the filter and grey adsl cable from the router in. The results are nearly the same.

Connection Speed 768 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.5 db 35.3 db
      Noise Margin 18.4 db 12.0 db

We only have 2 phone sockets, the master socket is left unused in the hallway (has no power connection anywhere near it!) and another where we connect our phone and broadband into behind the TV. When I ran this latest test I disconnected the phone too.

Phone line also doesn't have any crackles that i can hear. Haven't a clue where my nearest exchange is though.

Very odd. Might try phone Sky and speak to someone else and see what they have to say.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      I think 4-5, amy more takers???
      I've got the same attentuation and I could achieve 6mbps, more if I tweak the coding.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Just because a line has an attenuation of "x" and gives a speed of "y" is no guarantee that another line (even on the same exchange, same attenuation, same cab, even going to the same building) will perform in the same way, there are just too many variables, like joints constructed in a differant fashion, with the tails not twisted but left loose.
      We also dont know just what Sky's DLM looks for so it may well set a line with a high SNRM that appears to be wrong to the customer, but is if fact correct when all errors are taken into account, and I know it is possible to then get Sky to tweak the line for you and get better speed with a lower SNRM, but unless DLM has made a total horlicks of it, I think you would be better to let it run using the DLM set, at least for a while to see how the line performs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast