Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Broadband only works when phone is turned on.

This is a discussion on Broadband only works when phone is turned on. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I know exactly what your problem is. I had it for a year with Orange and it was a nightmare. ...

pdoherty76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Broadband only works when phone is turned on.

I know exactly what your problem is. I had it for a year with Orange and it was a nightmare.

You have what is called a "high open fault". Somewhere along your line to the exchange there is a tiny break in the copper, either in the wire itself or in a junction.

The adsl can't get over this gap.....but when you lift up the reciever on your phone a current passes across the gap and allows the adsl to jump it.

2. Advertisement
      skyuser007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hello,

i have the same problem and been looking high n low for a solution until I found this site.

I hav just noticed the static on the phone line when the broadband is connected and it is so bad now the only way to get the broadband connected is to leave the phone unhooked after dialling a random number.

May I know how did the BT resolve the issue? did you have to fork out 160 for it?

thanks

Meree

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyuser007 View Post
      hello,

i have the same problem and been looking high n low for a solution until I found this site.

I hav just noticed the static on the phone line when the broadband is connected and it is so bad now the only way to get the broadband connected is to leave the phone unhooked after dialling a random number.

May I know how did the BT resolve the issue? did you have to fork out 160 for it?

thanks

Meree
      If there is any problem with the voice line example noise, then the repare is free of charge because it is on there side of the line (the external line to the exchange)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyuser007 View Post
      hello,

thanks

Meree
      I hate to be be the doom monger but my issue was never resolved. Orange arranged for a BT engineer to come who said he thought the fault was 75 metres from the house and he would sort someone else to come out and fix it. I phoned orange the next day and they said the engineer had reported no fault!

I was so annoyed at this that I threatened to take orange to court and they let me out of the contract. I then moved house so I'll never know if the fault was resolved.

To this day I am convinced the problem was in a faceplate or something in oranges equipment at the exchange. The reason I think that is because the line was perfect before orange LLU'ed the line. I never had a voice or broadband fault when I was with wanadoo then orange took over and the nightmare began.

Apparently a lot of these faults are from lines being moved in terminals in the exchange.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The reason I think that is because the line was perfect before orange LLU'ed the line.
      That is quite possible, but in addition, Orange would be using ADSL2 or +, Wanadoo would not. ADSL2+ requires a cleaner quieter line to run properly, little faults which are hardly noticeable with ADSL1 are magnified by the faster Mode. This is very apparent when a long Sky line is moved from G.DMT to ADSL2+ with terrible results.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is quite possible, but in addition, Orange would be using ADSL2 or +, Wanadoo would not. ADSL2+ requires a cleaner quieter line to run properly, little faults which are hardly noticeable with ADSL1 are magnified by the faster Mode. This is very apparent when a long Sky line is moved from G.DMT to ADSL2+ with terrible results.
      No, the LLU occured in april 2006. It was the same mode as wanadoo. Orange didn't roll out ADSL2 until later.

As soon as Orange took over my wanadoo account my wonderful full speed, always connected, broadband service immediately became capped at 0.5 meg and would disconnect unless I had the phone off the hook.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12