Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

new conection and dlm

This is a discussion on new conection and dlm within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi been with sky bb a number of years at old house, just mooved and found out that you now ...

lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

new conection and dlm

hi

been with sky bb a number of years at old house, just mooved and found out that you now get put on that line testing dlm.

connection went live yesterday, but as yet no testing is going on, when does this kick in? im on unlimited and heres the stats.

Connection Speed 4094 kbps 510 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.5 db 18.0 db
      Noise Margin 15.2 db 22.0 db

should it be in line testing mode or does it take time to kick in?

cheers

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: new conection and dlm

It can take up to 72 hours apparently but usually kicks in much sooner.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

well still no dlm, also what do you guys think im looking at speed and conection wise with the above stats?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I believe all new profiles start at 4mb and DLM is meant to increase that over the stabilisation period if possible - has your router re-synced at all with a different speed or has it stayed at that speed? I would have thought with your upload that DLM would be running.

Attenuation wise, you'd be looking at 13mb or so, but with the SNR at the moment you wouldn't be able to push to that. If you have a test socket in the house, stick it in there (assuming the previous stats weren't from the test socket) and re-post the stats.

Exchange:
      Thanks

no that was not at test socket, its a new house and new line new face plate etc and no extensions, and dlm has finaly kickd in, here we go day 3

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9210 kbps 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.5 db 18.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.9 db 10.0 db

liking the upload speed, but theres more to go on both speeds, and im not a happy chappy just yet... ill keep this updated, hope theres more to go.
      Last edited by lee2007; 07-08-09 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes lol

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Well looking at those stats it would suggest some problem with the line as such a low noise margin already wont give you that much more in connection speed. Obviously its best to wait until DLM has finished before seeing exactly what you'll end up with and what if anything you can do to improve the situation. Hold tight for now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With your attenuation 12-14Mb should be possible, but as pointed out, your DS noise margin is a bit low. You may even find it drops when the line gets a bit noisier. If you only have one socket, there is not much you can do internally, a filterplate would not help. All you can do is make sure the filter is fitted properly, it should be the first thing plugged into the phone socket, with any splitters plugged into it. Also try another filter, some of the ones supplied by Sky don't perform too well. If you have a Sky box plugged in, you might want to uplug it and see if you stats improve. Sometimes these effect the connection, even when properly filtered.

Also check your phone for any noise on the line, as this can impact on broadband. Just dial 1 digit and listen, you should only hear a very faint hiss at the most.

One thing to remember is do not unplug your router too often as DLM may see it as a fault and cap the line down further. If you wan to make any changes to your set up try to do everything in one move. If you have plugged the filter in first, there is not much you can change, except the filter itself.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok, i was using a brand new filter that came with the sky router, have just replaced this with my old filter form the old house, and now the noise margin has risen, is this any better, only had router disconected for 10 seconds so hope it aint messed the dlm up

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9210 kbps 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.5 db 18.1 db
      Noise Margin 8.4 db 10.0 db

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It's made it slightly better but not enough to make any real difference, it may even be normal noise margin fluctuation rather than an improved filter.

Exchange:
      Thanks

well the phone line is crsytal clear and the volume is much louder then what it was on my old phone line at the old house (about 500 yds away) at the old house i also had a very similar noise margin (same exchange) but i got sync to exchange at 16mb and could download at just under 15mb and my connection never once dropped attenuation was a little lower at old house as its closer to exchange, maybe the noise level is just normal for my exchange.

at the moment its rock soild and have never had any connection issues at all (just like my old addy)

hoping my line will be stable at 14mb ish after the dlm, if not ill be ringing up to get a manual config, as my exchange never gives problems to me or any of my mates connected to same exchange, ill keep this updated over the coming days and weeks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast