Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

new conection and dlm

This is a discussion on new conection and dlm within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme The test will come this evening when the lines get noisier. If you are lucky, your ...

lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: new conection and dlm

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The test will come this evening when the lines get noisier. If you are lucky, your router will hold the connection if you are not, the drop in noise margin will disconnect it and it will reconnect at a lower speed.

You are not the only one to discover how badly DLM can perform. It seems to be so finely set that the least problem with the line causes it to reduce the speed. There is a chance you got straight through to CST, unless they have given more responsibility to Tier 1 to take some of the pressure off CST.
      possibly could of got staright through to cst, but this guy was in a call center in a different country, hope i dont have anybother tonight with the noise, ill post back and let you know mate

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

but this guy was in a call center in a different country,
      Unlikely to be ex-CST then. Did he tell you he was offshore? Sky actually employ a lot of 'foreign' sounding agents in this country.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I know in one call centre, they're understaffed at the moment and some tier 1 team leaders are even taking calls. Could have possibly gotten through to a TL with LAMA access (but I think it's only read-only?)

Exchange:
      Thanks

he never told me he was in differnt county, but im 100% he was i could just tell, and could hear his fellow workers with similar accents, unless he was able to "type" to tier 2 somehow or instant message.

this is the second time ive had to contact sky, first time was few years ago at old house, they had me on gmt and refused to put me on adsl2+ even though i was much closer to exchange as i am now, customers should not have to do this, i take pitty on other users in same position as i was.

also unsure why sky didnt just open up the full 24meg service and be done with it
      Last edited by lee2007; 13-08-09 at 08:36 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

right, connection has stayed stable, checked the router and its never dropped out all night, noise margin did drop to 4ish but router seems to be able to handle this.

at later date i might get sky to investigate this more, but i have a feeling they would just lower the speed rather then look into the actual problem, which i dont want.

ive just powered off the router as i was dooing some painting around the wall socket, fired up the router and now the speed has increased yet again to the following:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15547 kbps 1022 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.5 db 18.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 8.0 db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There isn't any problem. It looks like you have been given an 'open' connection speed. ie, it is not capped, if it is, it is to a speed above that which you are likely to get. The speed you are syncing at is very good for your attenuation, just don't try to fix it it is not broken. Let the router do it's job and it will settle to the best stable speed you can get. It may be a bit lower than it is now, but not by much.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234