Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

new conection and dlm

This is a discussion on new conection and dlm within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by lee2007 well the phone line is crsytal clear and the volume is much louder then what it ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: new conection and dlm

Quote Originally Posted by lee2007 View Post
      well the phone line is crsytal clear and the volume is much louder then what it was on my old phone line at the old house (about 500 yds away) at the old house i also had a very similar noise margin (same exchange) but i got sync to exchange at 16mb and could download at just under 15mb and my connection never once dropped attenuation was a little lower at old house as its closer to exchange, maybe the noise level is just normal for my exchange.

at the moment its rock soild and have never had any connection issues at all (just like my old addy)

hoping my line will be stable at 14mb ish after the dlm, if not ill be ringing up to get a manual config, as my exchange never gives problems to me or any of my mates connected to same exchange, ill keep this updated over the coming days and weeks.
      I know you touched on your physical set-up a bit earlier, but if you can just confirm:

You're only using one telephone socket? Is it a filtered faceplate or a standard BT NTE5 master socket? Your set up into the socket goes like: filter > phone line or splitter into phone port with the light grey ADSL cable SKY supplied into the modem port of the filter.

If you can, put it in the test socket and post the stats if possible. If you have no test socket, then as Isitme suggested unplug all devices on the line and just have the filter and ADSL cable connected and post the stats.

Failing this, contact sky and get it investigated a bit more.

2. Advertisement
      lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      I know you touched on your physical set-up a bit earlier, but if you can just confirm:

You're only using one telephone socket? Is it a filtered faceplate or a standard BT NTE5 master socket? Your set up into the socket goes like: filter > phone line or splitter into phone port with the light grey ADSL cable SKY supplied into the modem port of the filter.

If you can, put it in the test socket and post the stats if possible. If you have no test socket, then as Isitme suggested unplug all devices on the line and just have the filter and ADSL cable connected and post the stats.

Failing this, contact sky and get it investigated a bit more.
      ok mate, its a standard open reach face plate with the test socket, there are no extensions or anything like that in the house, there is no sky box pluged in. using the grey cable supplied by sky

it goes faceplate - filter - phoneline and router.

yes there does seem to be a problem, ive sat and watched the stats and the noise marging can hit 6.

there is no bell wire either, the line comes from the pole to the house, then through the wall, the openreach faceplate is then connected to this wire, its strange cos like i say theres no noise on the line or anything, as we just moved in theres only the tv and sky appliances on, nothing else.

but ive never lost my connection, but also dlm has not done any thing since it stated, ive had no more speed increase and its still just over 9 meg.

bit stuck here now as thers nothing i can do my side of the face plate....

Exchange:
      Thanks

also how accurate do some of you guys think this is:

The ADSL and ADSL2+ Line Capability Estimator

acoording to that, with a attenuation of 32 and noise margin of 6, based on my current sync of 9200, i should be able to see a sync of 15mb plus even with that noise margin.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think it is too accurate. I think you will find that it does not matter what noise margin you put in it will still say you should get 15Mb+. Which is not really correct. eg, put in a noise margin of 0 and it still says 15Mb+. It means it is really just using the attenuation to give you a figure, this does not take into consideration line conditions, which the noise margin indicates.

You could try plugging straight into the Test socket, just on the off chance that the faceplate is faulty. You should get a very similar reading, if the noise margin/speed rises, the plate could be faulty or not making proper contact in the socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think it is too accurate. I think you will find that it does not matter what noise margin you put in it will still say you should get 15Mb+. Which is not really correct. eg, put in a noise margin of 0 and it still says 15Mb+. It means it is really just using the attenuation to give you a figure, this does not take into consideration line conditions, which the noise margin indicates.

You could try plugging straight into the Test socket, just on the off chance that the faceplate is faulty. You should get a very similar reading, if the noise margin/speed rises, the plate could be faulty or not making proper contact in the socket.
      already tried the test socket got same results whilst typing this now my noise margin is 3.9

Thanks

You definitely have a fault on your external line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

also using the white router, but ive also got a black one that i got out of them 6 months ago, shall itry that router or will it mess the dlm.

Thanks

The less you mess around with your connection the better, at least until DLM completes.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

You definitely have a fault on your external line.
      i really wish u could hear how crystal clear my telephone is, as theres no visable fault how am i supposed to get bt to loik into it mate

Exchange:
      Thanks

The less you mess around with your connection the better, at least until DLM completes.
      i hear and understand what your saying, this is going to drive me mad lol, im a stickler for perfection with my technology and gadgets

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast