Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Experience with sky resolving connection speed problem

This is a discussion on Experience with sky resolving connection speed problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Not sure if this is the best forum for this or not...but hopefully this information may be of some ...

dgodf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Experience with sky resolving connection speed problem

Hi

Not sure if this is the best forum for this or not...but hopefully this information may be of some use to anyone else who ends up in a similar situation to me.

Several months ago we asked Sky to upgrade us from Mid to the Max package. This was done, however, we found, after the upgrade, we were only getting around 5Mbps connection. Talking to Sky, we were told, basically, "you can only get about 7Mbps where you live, you should have been told when you ordered". So, we downgraded back to the previous package.

Then, our speed went down to about 1.5-2Mbps. Sky tech support, I presume an Indian call centre, tried really hard to pass the buck and make it sound like it was a problem with *anything* but sky, even though the speed was now less than it had been before we originally upgraded. They blamed the line, either the BT one or inside our property.

We spoke with BT, and they could find no fault. I paid for an independent telecom engineer to come and check our phone extension wiring, and he found no fault. In addition, I changed all our microfilters, moved the router to different sockets, and generally tried everything I could.

So, about three months on, with all this info in hand, and still getting lousy speeds way below what is published, I tried Sky tech support again.

By some random miracle, I ended up speaking with a guy in the UK, who clearly knew his stuff and wasn't working off a script. Explained the whole sorry story, and within 15 minutes he had the line tweaked/retrained and connecting at 10Mbps!! This is 3Mbps faster than BT reckon should be possible!!

I mention all this just to show that a) by and large Sky Tech support seem fairly clueless, especially based on my dealings with what appeared to be an Indian call-centre with staff working off scripts, and that b) if you are stuck in such a situation, you need to persist and I would suggest, insist on speaking with the chaps in the UK who were totally professional and knowledgeable.

I reckon there must be a *lot* of people out there getting the brush-off from Sky in these situations who just put up with appalling connection speeds way below what is advertised. Shame that Sky doesn't price it's services in the same way it advertises it's speeds, e.g. "up to 10Mb" at say "up to 15"!!

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Experience with sky resolving connection speed problem

You should have looked here first, these forums are full of information and with the min of DIY you could have checked out and rectified any problems there may have been with your wiring. As for Sky, I have always found them o.k but I do accept this is not always the experance of everyone, and Sky are not alone in having customer advisers of differing ablities

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

dgodf
      Hi Pleased everything has gone well in the end. I think the of shore help is not in India but Malaysia (correct me if I am wrong)

Brian69
      Hi Brian yes you are exactly right
      Sky are not alone in having customer advisers of differing ablities
      Last edited by steve16751; 06-08-09 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Bit slow

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Always are good and bad people in the job. Tier 1 have to follow a set call flow guide, which basically for slow connection is checking what your line can handle, what it's syncing at now, changing filters, trying the master socket and finally trying the test socket and then escalating to CST. Problem is there are tier 1 agents who upon starting their shift will simply type in all their notes for each call flow they'll receive i.e.

- slow connection, dsl availbility: xx mb, EU syncing at: xx mb, changed filters, tried master and test socket, pass to CST

Doesn't particularly tell you much does it? I had some fella come through the other day and the previous notes suggested he was getting a slow connection and wasn't using any extension rj11 cable, had changed filters and had no test socket. Turns out he had two splitters on the line instead of filters, an extension rj11 cable, wasn't in his master socket and also had an NTE5 master in the house. After sorting out his physical set up, his SNR jumps from around 8 to the high teens and regardless of sky's line checker suggesting 4.5mb (gotta love that thing), he's comfortably syncing at around 7.1mb after configurations.

As I say, you'll get some people who can do their job and others that can't. Moral of the story is to tell tier 1 you've changed your filters, tried the master and test socket with no resolution and it'll be a pretty quick call.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Moral of the story is to tell tier 1 you've changed your filters, tried the master and test socket with no resolution and it'll be a pretty quick call.
      Provided you have actually done so I can imagine CST would be very annoyed to be passed a call where the user was using a splitter instead of a filter. That has been discovered to be the fault quite a few times here on the forum.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Provided you have actually done so
      That's what I meant.

There's a lot of talk of tier 1 work being 'nonsense' etc. and it is PROVIDED you've had a recent ticket to CST and it's been closed due to an auto re-grade, replacement CPE with no contact or no contact after a BT openreach visit for instance. However, before that then it's all relevant as far as I'm concerned. It's a pity, however, a minority of agents (I hope) create silly notes... e.g.

- active <- If they weren't active, you would have passed to sales.
      - no abuse <- I'm aware...
      - no HD2 tickets <- Or you wouldn't be troubleshooting.
      - bb box received <- Again, you wouldn't be t/s'ing if not.

Ahhhh, I'm going to flip out.