Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

More than 15mb?

This is a discussion on More than 15mb? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme If the line is capped it does not matter how much you tweak the noise margin, ...

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: More than 15mb?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If the line is capped it does not matter how much you tweak the noise margin, you will get no more. That only works on an uncapped line, this one is obviously capped or, given the noise margin, it would sync much higher.
      I read this from the OP

"Anyway he tried to up it back to 15mb which was fine then he set it to 20mb but the router is always stating 15mb, my question is has anyone on here had the Netgear V1 router report back with a speed of more than 15mb? Or is that the absolute maximum im gonna get. Heres the router stats for reference."

So it was capped at 20mb but he was only seeing 15mb on the Netgear.
      In which case lowering the SNR pecentage with DMT or Dgteam FW would enable him to sync higher.

I think he should ring back and insist on speaking to CST. A good way to do it would be to enquire why he's not getting a better upload.
      Even the ridiculously under knowledged tier 1 couldn't argue that his upload is **** poor for his line stats.
      Once through to CST then ask about downstrean aswell.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So it was capped at 20mb but he was only seeing 15mb on the Netgear.
      In which case lowering the SNR pecentage with DMT or Dgteam FW would enable him to sync higher
      It is obviously not capped at 20Mb or he would not have a noise margin of 18dbs. What you are suggesting would only work if his noise margin was near the default of 6.9dbs. It will do no good whatsoever with his high noise margin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tscotsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingswells
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I believe it was capped at 16mb and not the 20mb that was stated. I agree with the higher noise margin the line could easily be set to 20mb. Even the upload could be more I believe. I have someone looking into it so we will see what happens. Tech support even told me that it was fixed at 16mb last night as that's all the line could handle, clearly didn't know what they were talking about.

Here's hoping for 20mb when I get back from work and check the router. I will let you all know how this saga unfolds....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is obviously not capped at 20Mb or he would not have a noise margin of 18dbs. What you are suggesting would only work if his noise margin was near the default of 6.9dbs. It will do no good whatsoever with his high noise margin.
      So lowering the high SNR of 18dbs with DMT for eg, won't do anything for speed ?
      And then you imply tweaking a SNR which would already be border line at 6.9db would work ??? that would just make the line unstable.
      Hmmmmmm I must be missing something here, anyway moving on....

Its entirely feesible and not "obvious" as you claim that the Netgear could be syncing at only 15mb even if the line was capped at say 20mb.
      There is numerous threads all over the place even on this forum lately about the Broadcom based router not obtaining high syncs with the Easynet Globespan DSLAM's.
      Also my own experience showed me that when my line was set at 16mb by CST my Netgear synced at 15000k, with SNR sitting around 8db.
      When I tweaked (lowered)it with Dgteam FW to 90% i synced at 15400k and the SNR sat at 7db.
      The Billion syncs at 16mb no tweaking nessesary.

But the point here is really how inept at setting up lines Sky really are.

to tcscotsman,

I reckon as soon as someone who knows what they are on about at Sky gets hold of your case and see's your line stats you'd be expecting the full 20mb/1.3mb - even with the Broacom based Netgear router, you've just got so much headroom for improvement.

Thanks

Also my own experience showed me that when my line was set at 16mb by CST my Netgear synced at 15000k, with SNR sitting around 8db.
      When I tweaked (lowered)it with Dgteam FW to 90% i synced at 15400k and the SNR sat at 7db
      This was only possible because your line was set to 16000 and you were syncing below that. If Sky have capped a line at 16000, no amount of tweaking will force a sync above that. The whole point is that the OP has been lied to and you appear to be believing the lie. ie, that the line is set to 20Mb.

I am pretty sure that when the OP gets through to an agent with something between his/her ears, he will be fixed very quickly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ahh I see now where our wires were crossed.

Wasn't trying to suggest he could sync above his line cap, maybe I worded it badly... i do that alot.
      I was originally going on the assumption he was set to 20mb and syncing at 15mb only.

Having said that if he's capped at 16mb he should be syncing at Circa 16392k and not 15300k.
      So I doubt he's capped at 16mb either - more like 15mb.

When i was being told I was set at 16mb/1.3mb I didn't believe CST either becuase the Netgear wouldn't get anywhere near those syncs...... untill i go the Billion router that is and attained them instantly.

Anyway let us know how you get on tcscotsman !!!

P.S how did you contact Sky about it this last time did you e-mail them or ring them?????

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

if he was set to 16384 with delays at 32 then it'll sync at 15323...for the record...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

tscotsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingswells
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

all fixed now heres the new settings from the router.

System Up Time 11:38:25
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 124794 225719 0 2036 57762 01:34:50
      LAN 10M/100M 19270 0 0 127 0 11:38:22
      WLAN 11M/54M 365861 217497 0 12013 600 11:38:14

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 20223 kbps 1012 kbps
      Line Attenuation 10.0 db 6.2 db
      Noise Margin 8.9 db 7.5 db

very happy with those speeds. seems thats the fastest upload speed with that download speed. but dl speed is more important to me than upload so well happy.

Thanks

Excellent!!! I think that is the highest sync I have seen reported on the forum. If you do feel the need for more upload, a good tech should be able to tweak your connection so that you will loose very litle, in any, download speed. Even if they can't, let's be honest, when you have such a high speed, will loosing a Mb make much difference.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tscotsman View Post
      all fixed now heres the new settings from the router.

System Up Time 11:38:25
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 124794 225719 0 2036 57762 01:34:50
      LAN 10M/100M 19270 0 0 127 0 11:38:22
      WLAN 11M/54M 365861 217497 0 12013 600 11:38:14

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 20223 kbps 1012 kbps
      Line Attenuation 10.0 db 6.2 db
      Noise Margin 8.9 db 7.5 db

very happy with those speeds. seems thats the fastest upload speed with that download speed. but dl speed is more important to me than upload so well happy.
      Excellent news, that'd be a result then

Full marks for persisting and getting your connection setup to your liking and not just accepting the initial nonsense you were given.

Who did you get to do the line for you, was it a call to CST or did you send a e-mail ? If so who did you send it too ?
      I'm looking at a way to get some tweaking on my line done ,but can't stomach that dreaded phone call gauntlet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12