Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Router shows good speed but download very poor....

This is a discussion on Router shows good speed but download very poor.... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok just had a look and does not look promising, there is no master/test socket just a face plate next ...

dormerm1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLCLY cantley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Router shows good speed but download very poor....

Ok just had a look and does not look promising, there is no master/test socket just a face plate next to the front door (house is approx 1970-80s). behind is crappy looking old cable that maybe is the main line in to the house? It has a green, black, white and orange wires in it and only the white and orange are connected via a block to the [blue with white bands] and [white with blue bands] wires of an extention cable ( in that order). At the other end of the extention which emerges under the stairs is a filter with one phone and the modem connected. There are no other sockets in the house that I have come across.

does not look like the best set up (dont shoot me I have inherited it from the previous owner) but I have had good speeds on occasion like this morning (3mbps) and the wiring does not change so can this be the problem that causes the low ip profile? Do i need a BT engineer out to come and sort things out?

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Matt what connection are you using hard wired (ethernet) or laptop wireless on post 18 on this thread
      you went from Laptop I P Profile 135kbps to ethernet and your I P Profile went op to 2500kbps did you plug the ethernet cable into the laptop. Just trying to find some more info

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

At the other end of the extention which emerges under the stairs is a filter with one phone and the modem connected.
      If there is only one cable going into the box, with none coming out you will not have any extensions. That being so there will not be much wrong with your internal wiring. Just check that the wires in the junction box a secure and screwed up tightly. Have a look outside and if your wire is overhead, check that it is not touching any trees or walls. If there is nothing obvious, then the fault may be further down the line. You could try phoning your phone rental supplier and report that you are getting some crackling noise on your line. Emphasise that it is intermittent, sometimes it is bad and others it goes away. They may be prepared to send an engineer out to check your line, if they find a fault and fix it, that will cure your broadband problem. Don't mention broadband when you phone or they will not come out. If the engineer seems a reasonable sort, you might mention you are having broadband problems. Tea and biscuits often help.

but I have had good speeds on occasion like this morning (3mbps)
      That is one advantage of the BT system, if your line is stable over a period it will retrain back up to its best speed. This cn happen quite quickly in some cases, but can take days in others.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

HI Steve
      yes used ethernet and got the beter result but think it was coinsidance as the iP profile keeps switching between 135kpbs and 2500kps on ethernet or wirless
      tonight i have these results

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 3776 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 796 kbps

So back to not bad again.

I do have a crackle on the phone line so have called sky. They asked me to disconnect everthing from the phone socket but said system said I still had something connected. Operator said it will be detecting the cable (the only one) that is connected via blocks to what I assume is the main wire comming into the house at the face plate at front door. She said that the system is detecting a fault 'between the house and BTs systems' so they have logged it with BT open reach who are meant to investigate it.

There are no overheads comming into the house it must be under ground as I cannot see anything coming into the house. Lets hope BT can find a fault and correct it. Will keep you posted.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

basically its dropping to 135 as sync is dropping to 160kbps and back up again, leading to 72hrs odd for it to go back up...prob a line fault somewhere or noise on the line...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

dormerm1
      Hi Matt well at least a movement to find any problems

Thanks

Update

Thurs 6th Aug -called sky in evening reported crackerling phone line they passed on to BT.

Fri 7th Aug -Bt engineer showed up in morning and installed a master socket.

Filter now attached to that master socket with the modem and one phone attached to that.

Results...
      Fri night- crackling seemed reduced with an acceptable (to me) broadband speed with IP profile of 3200mbps.
      Sat morning- IP profile back to 135kbps and crackling back on phone line

Am impressed with speed of response from Sky (got a UK call center) and BT. However continuly dropping IP profile has not been resolved yet, at least the internal wiring is aliminated now so BT/Sky have to look away from the house to thier own systems.

Will keep on with sky on the crackling phone line and via the (kana) email re rubbish IP profile (from 2 fronts!) Have sent them everthing via email including current Btspeedtest results and copy of all the router stats as suggested.

On we go.......!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234