Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

This cannot be right

This is a discussion on This cannot be right within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have read up on many previous posts with regards to down/upload speeds and Line Attenuatiion and Noise Margens. Im ...

Sparkeys is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Strood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry This cannot be right

I have read up on many previous posts with regards to down/upload speeds and Line Attenuatiion and Noise Margens. Im new to skybroadband Unlimited and my line testing has now finished and this is what ive ended up on.

Connection Speed - Downstream 7004
      Upstream 252

Line Attenuation - Downstream 31db
      Upstream 8.5db

Noise Margen - Downstream 22db
      Upstream 28db

I have the Netgear DG934G router and its connected directly to my PC via Ethernet cable. I have speed tested on speedtest.net and D/L = 6.08mb upload is 0.17mb. My local exchange is Strood and using a journey planner it is less than 1km away.

Do these speeds seem correct to you all ? Im sensing they are a fair bit below what they should be, if possible what should i realisticly be looking at ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      izools is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: This cannot be right

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeys View Post
      I have read up on many previous posts with regards to down/upload speeds and Line Attenuatiion and Noise Margens. Im new to skybroadband Unlimited and my line testing has now finished and this is what ive ended up on.

Connection Speed - Downstream 7004
      Upstream 252

Line Attenuation - Downstream 31db
      Upstream 8.5db

Noise Margen - Downstream 22db
      Upstream 28db

I have the Netgear DG934G router and its connected directly to my PC via Ethernet cable. I have speed tested on speedtest.net and D/L = 6.08mb upload is 0.17mb. My local exchange is Strood and using a journey planner it is less than 1km away.

Do these speeds seem correct to you all ? Im sensing they are a fair bit below what they should be, if possible what should i realisticly be looking at ?

Thanks in advance.
      You need to speak to Customer Solutions.

That line should be capable of around 15 or so meg with ease.

You need to ask CST to put you on the "20 Meg / 1.3 Meg Profile with 7dB noise margins and as lower interleave depth as possible"

Then your speed should atleast double.

You will however have to go through a big list of pointless questions with Tier 1 before they transfer you to Customer Solutions (CST). Might be on hold to them for a while, too. Can be upto an hour; but it'll be worth it to get the speed increase.

I take it you have Sky Talk? As the support numer (08442410515) is free if you do

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

interleve depth is irrelevent if not gaming...20Mbps profile won't be applied if line can't attain it, 1.3Mbps will probably be set but haven't seen anyone get near it yet...7db is default so will already be on it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Phone Sky and ask them to reconfigure your line. Don't try to tell them what to do or you will just rise backs up. Tell them you have been on DLM and it has left you with a low speed. If you are a gamer you could ask at the same time for your delays to be reduced. If you are not a gamer, don't bother as it can lead to your download being reduced.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thank you for the kind replies, i am a heavy online gamer but to be honest ive had no issues with pings or lag at this time so i might just leave that issue alone until a point it needs raising with sky. But for sure i will give them a call and raise the points as you all have mentioned.

izools is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      interleve depth is irrelevent if not gaming...20Mbps profile won't be applied if line can't attain it, 1.3Mbps will probably be set but haven't seen anyone get near it yet...7db is default so will already be on it...
      Why would any subscriber allow their latency to be needlessly increased on a line that is clearly short enough to run fine with low interleave delays?

What does it matter having the line coding set to a maximum of 20480K sync rate if the DSLAM is forcing a 7.0dB margin anyway? If the line isn't capable of it then it will sync slower, no fuss, no problem. And if line conditions improve in future there is headroom for a higher sync rate.

There's no point in mentioning the subscriber "Already being on" a 7.0dB margin if their sync rate is being capped at a speed much lower than one the line would achieve with a 7.0dB margin!

Christ it's no wonder the DLM doesn't work properly with people like you looking after it.

Thanks

Well the best i could get so far is being put back on DLM. Only difference so far is 8mb d/l instead of 7mb.

Thanks

One phone call, less than 30 minutes on the phone, 7meg to 17meg. Thanks for all your help.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by izools View Post
      Why would any subscriber allow their latency to be needlessly increased on a line that is clearly short enough to run fine with low interleave delays?

What does it matter having the line coding set to a maximum of 20480K sync rate if the DSLAM is forcing a 7.0dB margin anyway? If the line isn't capable of it then it will sync slower, no fuss, no problem. And if line conditions improve in future there is headroom for a higher sync rate.

There's no point in mentioning the subscriber "Already being on" a 7.0dB margin if their sync rate is being capped at a speed much lower than one the line would achieve with a 7.0dB margin!

Christ it's no wonder the DLM doesn't work properly with people like you looking after it.
      1. Latency, unless a gamer, should be left alone as it has no affect on the day-to day connection...browsing is just as quick as it is with delays set to 8s...it might allow sync to rise slightly but can also lead to intermittency issues...besides, DLM set's almost all lines to 8s anyway...

2.Because the DSLAMs used don't have SRA turned on (apparently) so the SNR doesn't adjust as it should so it would lead to drop outs, leading to poor connection and more calls to Sky...

3. The line will be on a 7db profile, the only reason the SNR is so high is due to the cap imposed by DLM (which must've seen something to leave it that low - probably some AM noise somewhere so it probably thought a high SNR will give a consistant connection...which is the aim of DLM)...one the speed is increased the line will give the best speed it can at the 7db default...

And I don't look after DLM - that's dealt with by the creators of the DLM engine...we purely turn it on/off and read the findings once complete...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket