Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Problems with wireless

This is a discussion on Problems with wireless within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; for the last week i have been experiencing a number of problems with my wireless connection. It started about a ...

Dargan1989 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Question Problems with wireless

for the last week i have been experiencing a number of problems with my wireless connection. It started about a week ago when i notocied one evening that i was disonnected from the internet which i though was unusual as ive never had connection problems before. After about 30 mins it came back and had no further problems until about 3 days later when the same problem happened again this time it took much longer to connect (whilst trying the usual restarting laptop, turning modem on and off etc) it eventually however came back. Again a day later the same problem happened again however this time the connection never came back so i decided to see if a wired connection would work which it did. I then noticed that when i took the ethernet cable out in the same room as the router the internet worked with no problems but as soon as i left the room it again disconnected after a few minutes. Going back to the wired connection i performed various troubleshooting techniques such as ipconfig which didnt help. yesterday morning i tried wireless again where it worked ok however was still a bit slow at downloading youtube videos with some stopping, this carried on until the night until about 11 oclock when it again disconnected.
      I am starting to think that the problem may lie on skys side as i have also notcied that my playstation 3 which is again in anotha room to the router is experiencing similar problems. I would just lke to know if anyone if experiecing the same problem?????

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      East London

Re: Problems with wireless

Hi and welcome to the forum. For starters try changing the channel on your router .

Configure your Sky Netgear Router's Wireless Settings

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Problems with wireless

You will have to establish whether this is the internet dropping or just your wireless. Post your stats for a start, first taken from your normal position then from the Test socket, link below. You can do this by wireless if it is more convenient.

Also download and use Inssider or Netstumbler (links below) to check if you are getting interference from nearby networks. The former is better for Vista.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.