Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Faulty connection much faster WITH tele extension?

This is a discussion on Faulty connection much faster WITH tele extension? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So I've previously posted a thread on here about my terrible speeds on Max despite the physical setup remaining the ...

paul_m_s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Faulty connection much faster WITH tele extension?

So I've previously posted a thread on here about my terrible speeds on Max despite the physical setup remaining the same, I was receiving speeds of between 500kbps and 1000 on Max. After much hassle Sky finally sent out a new router but this seems to have made little difference.

Despite it being known that you should avoid telephone line extensions, I decided to insert one between the router and the phone line, even through the router is right next to the phone socket, so the extension was just acting as a buffer. Since then my speed has risen to 4000kbps (still a far cry from the 8000 i received prior to the connectio difficulties).

Does anyone have any ideas what this would signify?
      (the fact that plugging the phone cable through an extension produces a much greater speed than when the router is directly connected to the phone socket)

2. Advertisement
      Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Faulty connection much faster WITH tele extension?

how strange..... perhaps theres a problem with the actual front socket on your NTE5? Can you post youre current stats?

Then again from your test socket to see if they are reduced?

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul_m_s View Post
      So I've previously posted a thread on here about my terrible speeds on Max despite the physical setup remaining the same, I was receiving speeds of between 500kbps and 1000 on Max. After much hassle Sky finally sent out a new router but this seems to have made little difference.

Despite it being known that you should avoid telephone line extensions, I decided to insert one between the router and the phone line, even through the router is right next to the phone socket, so the extension was just acting as a buffer. Since then my speed has risen to 4000kbps (still a far cry from the 8000 i received prior to the connectio difficulties).

Does anyone have any ideas what this would signify?
      (the fact that plugging the phone cable through an extension produces a much greater speed than when the router is directly connected to the phone socket)
      Ok lets try and figure this out

1. You had your router plugged directly in to your master phone socket via filter?
      2. Your speeds where poor with the above
      3. You have now wire in an extension cable, so your router now connects to the master socket via an extension?
      4. Buy adding an extension, you speed has jumped considerably?

Ok is your master socket an split face NTE5 master socket with test plug behind the face plate? If so then did you "hardwire" the extension, that is to say you connected an extension to pins 2 and 5 on the front plate? or did you just buy a bog standard extension and plug in to the master socket?
      More over, did you replace the RJ11 cable from your router to the master socket with the new extension? If so that could point to a possible duff RJ11 cable between router and master socket.

Did you check the wires in your master socket prior to doing the extension? I mean the BT side? were they ok? was there an orange bell wire to slot 3 connected?

Just trying to go through things logically, well my logic anyway

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joss View Post
      Ok lets try and figure this out

1. You had your router plugged directly in to your master phone socket via filter?
      2. Your speeds where poor with the above
      3. You have now wire in an extension cable, so your router now connects to the master socket via an extension?
      4. Buy adding an extension, you speed has jumped considerably?

Ok is your master socket an split face NTE5 master socket with test plug behind the face plate? If so then did you "hardwire" the extension, that is to say you connected an extension to pins 2 and 5 on the front plate? or did you just buy a bog standard extension and plug in to the master socket?
      More over, did you replace the RJ11 cable from your router to the master socket with the new extension? If so that could point to a possible duff RJ11 cable between router and master socket.

Did you check the wires in your master socket prior to doing the extension? I mean the BT side? were they ok? was there an orange bell wire to slot 3 connected?

Just trying to go through things logically, well my logic anyway
      Thanks for the response.
      It is just a cheap phone extension plugged into the master socket.
      I swapped the RJ11 cables with no discernible effect on the connection at all, I received a new one yesterday with my replacement router. I've been plugged into the test socket for a month now to speed up any tests with the broadband help team.

It seems to work most efficiently when the setup is Router>extension>RJ11>phone socket.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Would it be possible for you to post your stats a)Plugged into the Test socket using just the RJ11 cable and b) Ditto but using extension.

On the face of it they only reason you would get a better result using an extension is if the Filter plug is not making proper contact in the phone socket, but is in the extension socket.

If you can do the above and then do the 'wiggle' check. ie, put the filter plug into the phone socket them withdraw it very slightly and wiggle it about, then push it fully home. If you have something like WD40 give the plug a small squirt before you put it in. Don't use ordinary oil. When you have done that take your stats again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yes, is bound to be something silly causing this.

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

And it is not entirely unknown for cables to be wired wrong into the plugs!
      Trust me I have come across this a few times.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have tried a different telephone socket now with no difference.

Here are my different stats from the test socket

Standard Setup:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 992 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 db 24.5 db
      Noise Margin 2.1 db 13.0 db

Setup Router>Extension>RJ11>Phone Socket

Connection Speed 2496 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 8.0 db

Setup Router>RJ11>Extension>Phone Socket

Connection Speed 3776 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.4 db 9.0 db

For the first 10 months of my contract we received between 7000 and 8000kbps before this occurred.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Logged onto MySky and found that they performed more testing on the line which has now been set to 4mb. I was unaware of such testing however and had been toying with the router for a good portion of the past few days in case this has affected it. Either way I'm certainly not getting 4mb.

pureplayz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 014638710
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

why are we not getting what we are ment to i am ment to be at 7mb i have been running speed test getting under1mb sky asked me to use speedtester.bt and test 3 diff times of the day at night 407kb 9.30am 4470kb and the shocker at 1pm i got 13kb yes i said 13kb shocking i thought i had someone useing my line i got new router used test socket setup correct still really bad i am on the connect setup due to no sky lines in my ares so they ars getting it from bt can bt cap my speed as we parted on not very good terms there seems to be lots off us not getting correct speed but we still have to pay for it bit i heard on radio today that we should be getting bb at lower rate as thats what other isp are doing with this problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast