Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Faulty connection much faster WITH tele extension?

This is a discussion on Faulty connection much faster WITH tele extension? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by pureplayz why are we not getting what we are ment to i am ment to be at ...

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Re: Faulty connection much faster WITH tele extension?

Quote Originally Posted by pureplayz View Post
      why are we not getting what we are ment to i am ment to be at 7mb i have been running speed test getting under1mb sky asked me to use speedtester.bt and test 3 diff times of the day at night 407kb 9.30am 4470kb and the shocker at 1pm i got 13kb yes i said 13kb shocking i thought i had someone useing my line i got new router used test socket setup correct still really bad i am on the connect setup due to no sky lines in my ares so they ars getting it from bt can bt cap my speed as we parted on not very good terms there seems to be lots off us not getting correct speed but we still have to pay for it bit i heard on radio today that we should be getting bb at lower rate as thats what other isp are doing with this problem
      Start your own thread matey. It's bad manners to hijack someone elses!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is something wrong with your wiring, this should not happen-

Line Attenuation 42.0 db 24.5 db
      Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db

The attenuation should not jump from 42 to 62 dbs, this should represent a difference of a couple of miles in line length. I would say you have a very bad connection somewhere. For a start remove the inner part of the NTE5 box and check that only two wires are connected, 1 to the A terminal and 1 to the B terminal. Check that the screws are tightened properly on to the wires and no other wires are touching the terminals. It should normally be the blue/white and white/blue wires that are connected, but it does not really matter as long as the colour is the same. Maybe Brian could give some more advice?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

When you check the A and B connections on the master, check that the teminals themselves are not loose. They can break the soldered joints where they attatch to the circuit board if they are over tightened.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

pureplayz
      Hi the connect package is a Bt rebranded package which is Traffic Shaped from 5pm till Midnight paul_m_s is on Sky Max/Unlimited which is LLU not the same as connect as Ned said if you need assistance start your on thread and I am sure someone will try and help

paul_m_s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

The attenuation should not jump from 42 to 62 dbs, this should represent a difference of a couple of miles in line length. I would say you have a very bad connection somewhere. For a start remove the inner part of the NTE5 box and check that only two wires are connected, 1 to the A terminal and 1 to the B terminal. Check that the screws are tightened properly on to the wires and no other wires are touching the terminals. It should normally be the blue/white and white/blue wires that are connected, but it does not really matter as long as the colour is the same. Maybe Brian could give some more advice?

Thanks
      They are connected only to terminals A and B which appear to be perfectly tight.

After this check I reconnected without the extension ,it connected at around 3800, then disconnected and resynced with these stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1824 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.0 db 23.0 db
      Noise Margin 1.7 db 18.0 db

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks
      They are connected only to terminals A and B which appear to be perfectly tight.

After this check I reconnected without the extension ,it connected at around 3800, then disconnected and resynced with these stats

Connection Speed 1824 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.0 db 23.0 db
      Noise Margin 1.7 db 18.0 db

During typing this it disconnected again and stats are now...

Connection Speed 416 kbps 416 kbps
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 10.0 db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If these are from your Test socket, then you have a serious fault on your external line or at the exchange, or the actual linebox is faulty. That is the 4th different attenuation you have listed, which is very unusual. You should phone Sky, explain that your line is dropping constantly while in the Test socket. The should get BTO out to check your line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If these are from your Test socket, then you have a serious fault on your external line or at the exchange, or the actual linebox is faulty. That is the 4th different attenuation you have listed, which is very unusual. You should phone Sky, explain that your line is dropping constantly while in the Test socket. The should get BTO out to check your line.
      Thanks again. Yes these are all from the test socket, I think even Sky will admit a line check is the only logical step now after all the tests and replacement router etc...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unbelievable.
      Sky called me yesterday to check how my new router was doing, I explained the situation and the guy set the connection to around 5mb (even though I had received 7/8 months before, I was happy just to get that as long as it was stable). We went through numerous tests of plugging/unplugging, hanging up the phone to check the connection was maintained and all seemed fine. This only lasted around 24 hrs as I've not returned home to find the connection at 440 - and the guy closed the ticket so I hopefully won't have to go through the usual Level 1 nonsense again.

Exchange:
      Thanks

And the other strange thing was, that while plugged into my test socket, the other phone line still worked....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast