Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless connects to network, no webpage connection.

This is a discussion on Wireless connects to network, no webpage connection. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, hope this is the right forum for this – I have been connecting to my homes wireless router ...

grandmaster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless connects to network, no webpage connection.

Hi there, hope this is the right forum for this –

I have been connecting to my homes wireless router (netgear dg834gt) for the past six months with no issues, but randomly, whilst I could connect to my network – I could not access any internet sites.

What I’ve been doing is logging into the router at 192.168.0.1 and going to the ‘Sky test’ (PPPoA) tab which will tell me that an internet connection cannot be found (error code 300) then If I run the test again, I can connect – even if it does sometimes come up with (error code 200).

Then my internet will work for several hours, or an hour, or 10 minutes or 10 seconds. Etc.

I can load 74.125.67.100 (google) in the browser, so I think it might be a DNS issue – I just don’t know how to solve it. I tried to change the DNS settings manually in XP to OpenDNS, all that happened is that I got the ‘limited or no connection’ as oppose to the strong signal I usually receive, and as a result couldn’t even access my router.

I also connect a laptop wirelessly which suffers the same problems

My landlady who uses a wired connection to the same router, experiences no issues.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this? It’s slowly driving me mad.

Thank you very much

Gm
      Last edited by grandmaster; 30-07-09 at 12:00 AM. Reason: PPPoA not PPPoE

2. Advertisement
      Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wireless connects to network, no webpage connection.

Post your router stats that way we can see if theres a noise problem on your line, it could be that your ADSL is dropping out but your wireless link to the router will stay up. Restarting the router will re-initiate the ADSL connection and depending on noise margin at that time of day it may re-sync and hold or drop out again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

My landlady who uses a wired connection to the same router, experiences no issues.
      This seems to suggest that it is a wireless problem or you PC settings are wrong. A few things you can try -
      Change the channel on the router, start at 13 and work your way down until you find the best one.
      Download and run Download WinSockFix 1.1.0.13 - WinSockFix - A free Winsock/Tcp repair utility - Softpedia this will repair your stack and even if it does not help it will do no harm.
      Do a Tweaktest by clicking the DrTCP link below, download and use the application if it makes any recommendations.
      Try using OpenDNS, if done correctly it should not prevent you connecting. Use the following settings
      IP Address..........192.168.0.100
      Subnet.................255.255.255.0
      Gateway..............192.168.0.1

Preferred Server.. 208.67.222.222
      Secondary Server.208.67.220.220

Finally uninstall your wireless adapter and re-install it using the latest drivers from the manufacturers web site. Don't trust drivers from MS.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This seems to suggest that it is a wireless problem or you PC settings are wrong. A few things you can try -
      Change the channel on the router, start at 13 and work your way down until you find the best one.
      Download and run Download WinSockFix 1.1.0.13 - WinSockFix - A free Winsock/Tcp repair utility - Softpedia this will repair your stack and even if it does not help it will do no harm.
      Do a Tweaktest by clicking the DrTCP link below, download and use the application if it makes any recommendations.
      Try using OpenDNS, if done correctly it should not prevent you connecting. Use the following settings

Finally uninstall your wireless adapter and re-install it using the latest drivers from the manufacturers web site. Don't trust drivers from MS.
      Good spot, i didnt read the post thoroughly enough and missed the fact a wired pc is working fine.

grandmaster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

Thanks Itisme. And to Donaldson2121 too!

Tried the different channels on the router to no avail.

Tried the Tweak tool and the Winsock/Tcp repair utility - again, same results.

It did let me connect to the router this time with the manual settings and OpenDNS, alas - no improvement with the internet.

And finally, went to the Belkin site and re-downloaded the driver for my wireless adapter (it's a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO USB Network Adapter) And again, no improvement.

Anything else I can try? Anything else on the router that can be altered? Any diagnostic stats I can post that might give people a clue?

Here's the C&P of the router statistics.
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 974 1041 0 214 909 00:11:36
      LAN 10M/100M 4179686 2750159 0 15277 1455 34:35:08
      WLAN 11M/54M 15349 12842 0 3701 578 01:02:13

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1024 kbps 248 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.5 db 25.8 db
      Noise Margin 18.3 db 25.0 db

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

You have a big cap on the line, you should be getting much better speeds with your stats.

Have you tried a wired connection to your computer, if this is ok, you may want to get a couple of homeplugs or run in an ethernet cable.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The stats suggest you have noise problems on the line which is reducing your speed considerably. This in itself will not cause wireless disconnections but if someone else is using the connection at the same time, especially with ethernet, it could reduce the bandwidth so much that none is left for you.

You should plug into the Test socket, link below, and take your stats from there and post them here. You can use a wireless connection for this if wired is inconvenient.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.