Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Problems: keeps asking for Network Key

This is a discussion on Wireless Problems: keeps asking for Network Key within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, we just moved to sky broadband and thought the wireless router that comes with it would be useful ...

Mandles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless Problems: keeps asking for Network Key

Hi there,
      we just moved to sky broadband and thought the wireless router that comes with it would be useful for my laptop, however, I've been expriencing a few annoying difficulties.

The router is connected to our desktop pc & the internet is coming through fine (even though the set up CD says no connection is detected, which is wrong as when we open firefox, we are definately connected lol). I also managed to successfully connect to our sky wireless newtwork via my laptop but often the network will just disappear. If I reset the router it reappears...for awhile. In addition, it often keeps asking me for the network key when I try to connect (even though the correct key has been entered & stored in my WPA settings). Often it says 'failed to connect, try re entering network key' which is getting very tedious as the key is the same key that allowed me to get online the previous time - it hasn't changed in my settings lol Sometimes when I re-enter it, I can get online - sometimes it asks me for it again & again. In my windows wireless settings it's sometimes ok & other times it says the requirements for this network do not match those on my computer.....but they haven't changed since my previous successful connection

According to the manual I should be able to find a wireless connection anywhere in my house but have tried using it downstairs, near the router & it makes no difference than when I'm upstairs.

I think it's drunk lol Any suggestions would be welcomed Thank you.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Problems: keeps asking for Network Key

if you have Sagem, log in and change the channel from 'Auto' to any of the other channels and see if this helps...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey, thanks for the reply! I have Netgear, not Sagem, can I still do as you suggested?

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Yes try changing the channel, start at 13 and work your way through to you get the best reception. While you are in the wireless settings, change the mode from auto to 'g only'.

What wireless manager are you using, the Windows one or the adapters? Many find that the Windows one is best, but others have no problems with the manufacturers.
      What OS are you running?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

as Isitme says, login to the router and change the channel to 13 and work backwards, if you can find a program to view networks in your area like WIFI Seeker, i have a good one at home ill get the name, and set it to G only..

Also on your wireless devices (laptop) go into networking and find were it stores your saved wirelss networks and delete SKY**** when you have the router set up.. you dont have to i just prefere to clear the old settings it stores!

Thanks

if you can find a program to view networks in your area like WIFI Seeker
      Inssider and Netstumbler linked in my sig do a good job. The former works well with Vista.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey thanks for all suggestions. Am going to try flicking through the channels - didn't realise it was ok to do that.

I have Vista & the network manager I'm using is actually one that came with my o2 mobile dongle. It's rather good.

Will get back to you! Cheers x

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

could be the issue, maybe try your wirelss networks using Windows also

Thanks

I have Vista & the network manager I'm using is actually one that came with my o2 mobile dongle. It's rather good.
      Use the Windows Manger and I think most of your problems will be solved.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for all the help. I've managed to stop the issue with with it constantly asking me to enter my network key - I did this by using the windows network manager instead of o2

I'm still having bad problems with my wireless connection though. Can't really use it upstairs at all, have to be in the same room as the router, downstairs which is a bit annoying. But even then I'm getting problems. It finds the network but often cannot connect or I lose connection often. Windows has tried to diagnose the problem several times but come up with nothing. Doesn't seem to matter where I place my laptop. I thought this wireless router was supposed to be one of the best?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast