Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Promised 4mb only getting 800kbps, absolutely flabbergasted

This is a discussion on Promised 4mb only getting 800kbps, absolutely flabbergasted within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello to you all Recently I joined up with Sky for TV, phone and broadband... everything else has been good ...

diamount is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leagrave
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Promised 4mb only getting 800kbps, absolutely flabbergasted

Hello to you all

Recently I joined up with Sky for TV, phone and broadband... everything else has been good except the broadband, we signed up for the max package which the top speed you would get would be 20mb however after 'testing' our line they said the max we could get was 4 however I have only been getting 800kbps with a max download speed of 100 kb/s which is terrible, I am only 2 miles away from the closest exchange and after numerous emails they said the cookie clutter emails saying its a fault on my end.

Does anyone know what I can do?

I'm starting to regret even joining Sky for broadband...

My router stats:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 625 872 0 2176 22888 00:00:41
      LAN 100M/Full 1319 1153 0 8528 1286 00:02:10
      WLAN 11M/54M 130 0 0 205 0 00:01:56
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1024 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 18 db

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Promised 4mb only getting 800kbps, absolutely flabbergasted

Email is not always the best route for this, how are you connected to your line with the router? Your line attenuation is very high but you have a little breathing room on your noise margin to get a bit more from the line unless it's been capped to stabilise it.
      Post your physical setup, (are you on your main socket/ test socket) and we can see if anything there is causing a drop in speed.
      By the way, no speeds should be promised by anyone when selling ADSL as there are so many things that can impact it.

Thanks

I am currently connected to the main socket and I have no extensions (since my computer is right next to the modem, and the modem is next to the telephone socket), while I did use the test socket last night in response to the email they sent me however there was little to no difference at all, and for some reason they thought the best speed for my line is 1mb!

That is what they said in the email however in My Sky the speed is still said to be 4mb... I do not see any reason to keep this package if this will be the constant speed I will be getting with my 12 month contract with them.

Is there anything I can do to speed the line a bit more or am I doomed to have this connection with Sky?
      Last edited by diamount; 27-07-09 at 07:48 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

stats from test socket please...with an attenuation of 63 you're currently on the limit of BB (although slightly capped, 2Mbps easy at the mo)...

if it goes down/SNR goes up then you can get more but internal wiring is holding you back...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

SNR fluctuation is the sign of an unstable connection. If you are on Sky Connect, (not LLU), then you will be subject to BT's infamous line profiling, which reduces the throughput speed if line instability occurs. Keep on to Sky, and insist that they contact BT Wholesale about the problem..... that's if you really are on Sky connect, of course (looking at your upload speed, I think you may be).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      SNR fluctuation is the sign of an unstable connection. If you are on Sky Connect, (not LLU), then you will be subject to BT's infamous line profiling, which reduces the throughput speed if line instability occurs. Keep on to Sky, and insist that they contact BT Wholesale about the problem..... that's if you really are on Sky connect, of course (looking at your upload speed, I think you may be).
      Nope, I am on Sky Max/Unlimited anyway these test socket results you wanted:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 644 784 0 990 4470 00:02:07
      LAN 100M/Full 1279 1181 0 3194 836 00:04:12
      WLAN 11M/54M 86 0 0 77 0 00:03:58
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1024 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 18 db

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When you remove the faceplate to expose the Test socket, are all your other extensions dead?

Do you have any noise on your voice line?

With the cap removed, as things stand, you should see 2+Mbs, not much more.

You are on LLU and your upload indicates that you are on G.DMT, which is probably the best mode for your line length.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      When you remove the faceplate to expose the Test socket, are all your other extensions dead?

Do you have any noise on your voice line?

With the cap removed, as things stand, you should see 2+Mbs, not much more.

You are on LLU and your upload indicates that you are on G.DMT, which is probably the best mode for your line length.
      1. I don't know as I do not use any extensions, my computer is right next to the telephone socket afterall.
      2. No noise whatsoever.
      3. Even when they said it would be 4mb? (this was after DLM or whatever it is was tested)

That is unfortunate if that is indeed the case, there would be no reason for me to stay at this package as I'm not getting anything beneficial out of it.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't know as I do not use any extensions, my computer is right next to the telephone socket afterall.
      It does not matter whether you use them or not, if they are incorrectly wired, they can interfere. Could you check please, to put the possibility out of the picture?

If they said you would get 4Mb you have a good case to cancel without penalty, with your attenuation you are very unlikely to get anywhere near that. I would take a screen grab of your broadband details, as this is the only proof you have of their statement.

What speed did you get with your previous ISP?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

10mb but I was on cable so speed was never really a problem with them and sorry for my ignorance but I really don't know what you mean when you say extensions. I have only been using the equipment sky gave me, nothing else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast