Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky IP Address and Personal Info

This is a discussion on Sky IP Address and Personal Info within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Does sky release certain info about the IP address it allocates it's users. I am asking the question as ...

SniffTheGlove is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Malvern
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Sky IP Address and Personal Info

Hi,

Does sky release certain info about the IP address it allocates it's users.

I am asking the question as I happened to do an IP lookup for my IP address and the result returned also has the town I lived in.

Clicking this link Domain Name Details - 90.211.208.130 will show that (The IP address currently registered to me by sky) I am in Malvern which is correct.

Does this happen when you search your IP address?

I would of thought that the sky IP address is dynamic however there must be some data stored somewhere for it to link to my town. In the past when site try to guesstimate your location it would almost show the location of the RIPE addresse, in this case SKY's HQ

2. Advertisement
      joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Re: Sky IP Address and Personal Info

Yes it does happen, its not rocket science to tag your person details to any allocated dynamic address.

SniffTheGlove is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Malvern
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joss View Post
      Yes it does happen, its not rocket science to tag your person details to any allocated dynamic address.
      Could you explain how?

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

your Ip address is logged against your details. SO if every you re boot or what ever and get a new ip address it will always be logged to your details or matched if you like.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Most (but not all) of the IPs on Sky's LLU network are allocated to specific exchanges. I.E. they are geographically static ao a specific local area.

There are online databases which will collect geographic information and link it to an IP address.

MaxMind Geo IP service states:
      "We obtain the known IP location pairs from sites that ask the web visitor to provide their geographic location. The geographic location along with the web visitor's IP Address is forwarded to us."

If you're a Sky connect customer your IP is not geographic static, which means MaxMind's system is highly likely to be wrong. If you're a Base/Mid/Max customer then it's almost always going to be correct (to an exchange coverage area).

Edit:
      The two answers above are talking about an internal accounting system, yes, Sky does keep records of which IP you have been assigned so that if someone complains (spam/hacking/DDOSS etc...) they can trace it to you. Usually your details will only be released when required I.E. Court Order such as in the Dream Pinball case.