Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Static IP address and Subnet mask being reset to 0.0.0.0 - why ?

This is a discussion on Static IP address and Subnet mask being reset to 0.0.0.0 - why ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Running Vista 64bit SP whatever the latest is Home Premium. Using Firefox 3.5 and Sagem F@st 2504 BB Checked my ...

return2base is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Static IP address and Subnet mask being reset to 0.0.0.0 - why ?

Running Vista 64bit SP whatever the latest is Home Premium. Using Firefox 3.5 and Sagem F@st 2504 BB

Checked my port forwarding yesterday and it was knackered. I saw that it was set to auto IP (everything had previously been set up ok for static IP and PF working fine) and wondered how that happened but ..... whatever. Reset it and went back out to Local Area Connection Properties where it remains ok (when gone back into) but when you check back out another level to Local Area Connection Status, somehow, something puts 0.0.0.0 in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings which overrides the real static IP address I have input.

The only thing I can think of (I'm no expert) is that crossing from Local Area Connection Status into Local Area Connection Properties means going through User Account Control where it asks you for permission to continue. After you say yes, then the 0.0.0.0 re-appears in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings for IPv4.

Any ideas ? Certainly this was not the case before a Windows update. Don't know where to start looking for the problem.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Static IP address and Subnet mask being reset to 0.0.0.0 - why ?

If you allowed Windows to update your NIC drivers, then that is the probable cause. Roll back the driver and see if it helps. I don't see anything else in the recent general updates which could cause the problem, by as I am 32 bit, they could be different. If you haven't received driver updates, try uninstalling all the recent updates you have received. They will be downloaded again so don't worry about loosing them. If it clears your problem, put them back one at a time till you find the culprit.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply but I don't get you. My PC updated with SP1 or whatever for Vista. I cannot guarantee that that was the culprit as I am not downloading 24/7. I doubt it.

Something has asked for "0.0.0.0" and something is either reinstating 0.0.0.0 or not allowing my static IP address to be saved.

I'd love to go through things one at a time and rebuild the whole engine, or I would if I had time but I don't. I have no idea whether I received any driver updates or any other updates as that is supposed to be dealt with by the auto pilot thingy.

I don't see it being a 64 bit problem as it worked before. It doesn't now and I think I've identified where but have no idea why. What I want to know is what is putting the 0.0.0.0 or making it reset to the default and then fixing that.

Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Thanks

You are a bit late getting Sp1, Sp2 has been available from the end of June. Sp1 messed up several things on different PCs. That is your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldson2121 View Post
      Thanks very much for that.

I tried the link and went through to the user page The Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties dialog box might display 0.0.0.0 after you upgrade to Windows Vista SP1 and after you manually configure a static IP address but it advises not deleting files going through this process and after not deleting files, I still had the same problem.

"Delete the driver software ?" is what is says.

I didn't delete these files and the problem remains. Sort of stumped again !

Thanks

Have the new drivers from the manufacturer ready to install and uninstall the adapter completely, including the software. Click Computer at the top of the Device Manager list and click 'Scan for hardware changes'. You adapter will be detected and you will be asked for the drivers. It may be reinstalled automatically, if it does, open it Properties and on the Driver tab, click Update Driver. Point it to where you saved the driver. If the driver comes as an exe, double click it to install the new drivers.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have the new drivers from the manufacturer ready to install and uninstall the adapter completely, including the software. Click Computer at the top of the Device Manager list and click 'Scan for hardware changes'. You adapter will be detected and you will be asked for the drivers. It may be reinstalled automatically, if it does, open it Properties and on the Driver tab, click Update Driver. Point it to where you saved the driver. If the driver comes as an exe, double click it to install the new drivers.
      And my downside if it all goes **** up is ?

Microsoft (I'm using Vista HP) say don't delete this (or that) and whilst I don't kiss their backside very often, they think it is an issue post SP1 and say don't delete files.

This thing is a network adaptor so can I guess that if it all goes wrong, I've no connection, no network, no internet and to all intent and purpose, no computer ?

I do appreciate your help but at my level of digging around in the inner working of the beast, it sounds like a "give it a go and see" as opposed to a "this will fix it" and the downside looks like a knackered PC.

If I've misunderstood, forgive me but it just sounds too risky. And I wouldn't be able to come back here and ask for help

Thanks

There is no reason why it should go wrong. I do not really understand MS's advice not to delete files, what they mean by this I have no idea. To uninstall any hardware you have to delete the drivers or the hardware will not be properly un-installed.

I can assure you, if you have the correct drivers ready to install, there is no risk whatsoever. Go to the manufacturers site and get the latest drivers for your network card. Most NIC drivers cover both 32 and 64 bit OSs, but make sure the ones you download, specifically mention 64 bit. If you are not sure, send me the make and model of your NIC and I will trace them for you. If you are not sure what card you have, download and install this application, it will tell you everything you have on your PC.
      |MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 Download

TomD

Useful Utilites

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

as isitme says as long as you have the correct drivers for your nic uninstall cannot go wrong , on reading windows support blurb basically just warning incase you uninstall without having drivers to reinstall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast