Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Turning computer on kills connection?

This is a discussion on Turning computer on kills connection? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, For about a year we have had problems with our connection becoming unusable at seemingly irregular intervals. The router ...

d00fus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Clapham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Turning computer on kills connection?

Hi,

For about a year we have had problems with our connection becoming unusable at seemingly irregular intervals. The router indicates that it is still connected, but basically no data transfer takes place. It didn't seem to be based on time of day or other factors which I've seen in the FAQs here so we were a bit lost.

However, just recently we've managed to narrow down exactly what causes it: turning my PC on. Even disconnected from the router (we don't use wireless), with all peripherals disconnected (incl monitor), and no matter where in the house the box is plugged in. As soon as I push the power button, the internet connection becomes unusable (testing it on my flatmate's PC). Doing it the other way around (mine already on, then turning his on) doesn't kill the connection. Turning my computer off makes the connection start working again, as does rebooting the router with my machine already on.

I've had the same PC unmodified for the past 3 years, and this didn't occur for the first year or so that we were in the house, and neither has the wiring changed since we moved in. So I'm totally lost as to what's causing this Does anyone have any ideas? Is it likely to be some aspect of the electrical wiring, or a fault in my PC power supply or something like that?

Thanks,
      James

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Turning computer on kills connection?

It is possibly the PCs PSU that is faulty. As an experiment, try this.
      Have the router powered up and connected, open the router settings and and click the 'Show Statistics' button. Change the Poll interval to 1 second, it is 10 seconds by default. Make a note of the noise margin. Now power up your PC and watch the noise margin figure, what happens?
      You could also try starting your PC first, then the router, check what speed and noise margin you have. Compare this to what you have without your PC plugged in.

If it is your PC feeding 'dirty' current back into the mains, you could try running it ,or the router through a surge suppressor this may clean the current. The only other solution may be to change the PSU in your PC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for that Isitme, it does seem to point to the PSU given that nothing in the configuration has changed. I'll try what you suggested and post back, thanks again!

Thanks

I've run the tests, here are the results (bear with me!):

When I got home the router had been connected at 10768 since I rebooted it this morning, now with noise margin 8.7. After turning my machine on, the NM dropped straight away as far as 5.4, before recovering slightly up to 6.2. I then rebooted it, and it reconnected (with my machine still on) at 10590 with NM 7.0. I turned my PC off, and the NM jumped to 8.9 then lowered down to 8.0. With my PC still off I rebooted it again, and it synced at 11900, NM 7.1. Turning my machine on back on, the NM dropped to 5.7, and after rebooting it connected at 10436 with NM 7.1.

So it seems that turning my PC on instantly boosts the noise level, turning it off drops it again, and connecting with my PC on drops our speed by about 1500kbps. Does this suggest it is indeed my PSU? I have managed to find a couple of forum posts saying it's not the best model and has a tendency to self-destruct, so I'm not averse to getting a new one if so

Thanks

So it seems that turning my PC on instantly boosts the noise level,
      It actually reduces the noise margin, which is what is causing your problems. Did you try a surge suppressor? If you don't have one, they are a good investment, so not a waste of money if you buy one to try it. Not a fix if it works, more a work around.

I would say that your PSU is causing the problem and you should replace it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks Isitme, I think I'll grab both As I said earlier my PSU doesn't sound like it's up to much anyway, and it's pretty noisy to boot so I'm happy to replace it (although it's a bit of a pain), and as you say a surge suppressor is always handy anyway. Here's hoping it works...

Thanks

Just wanted to say in case it helps someone else that I put the new PSU in and everything's now fine - no more disconnections and we now connect at about 1500-2000kbps higher! So a win all round. Thanks for your help and confirming that what seemed unlikely initially was actually the case!

Thanks

That's good to hear.

It is another one of those unlikely things that can effect ADSL. I have no doubt that others are suffering from the same problem, but insist on blaming Sky for it.

TomD

Useful Utilites