Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Test answers my intermittent connection speed problem

This is a discussion on Sky Test answers my intermittent connection speed problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, just thought I’d share my recent frustrating experience with the Sky Broadband technical help… The problem I was ...

CoolAsLife is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Wycombe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Test answers my intermittent connection speed problem

Hi all, just thought I’d share my recent frustrating experience with the Sky Broadband technical help…

The problem I was have was that my connection speed would drop from 2048kbps to less than 300kbps. I have raised about 7 support calls over the last couple of months and have been getting nowhere. It have been escalated twice with a solution.

They told me it was due to the number of errors I was getting in the download data, so my speed was reduced in order to compensate. Next I was told that my exchange (SMHY) could only support 1 meg and that my line attenuation at 63db was the reason for slow speeds. Next it was my internal wiring – I have two socket spurred of the Master socket for the sky sat box and the house alarm, in addition to the land line phone (which plugs into the front of the master socket). So I disconnect the other two sockets from the master socket – still no effect, download speed still drops to 300kbps.

Next thing to try was using my telephone cable (not the router modem cable) and plug it directly into the master socket with no filter. This was to isolate a batch of faulty modem cables and filter. Guess what – connection speed drops to 898 kbps.

Back on the phone to sky tech help yet again and got through to customer solutions – the guy asked me to do a simple test.

- Open admin view in browser
      - Connection status
      - Disconnect from Sky
      - Sky Test

It reported back a DNS Network Connection error :300. This meant that it was a problem between the Sky servers and the SMHY exchange. It wasn’t me after all! So now I have a 48hr wait for them to fix the error and I should be sorted.

Apparently it’s a rare problem, but not everyone in the Customer Solutions team knows about this quick and simple test.

Thanks, Danny

2. Advertisement
      GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

Re: Sky Test answers my intermittent connection speed problem

Hang on - If you choose "Disconnect" and then "Sky Test" it WILL fail as it's not connected... Just confirmed this by doing it on mine..

Mike

CoolAsLife is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Wycombe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Did you get the 300 error? If I disconnect and then do sky test, it tries to re-establish the connection before giving me the error. Now I’m concerned that Sky Customer Solutions are spinning me yet another yarn… Just as I thought I was getting it sorted…

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

CoolAsLife
      Hi Danny have a look at the link gives explanation on error codes