Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router hangs when downloading

This is a discussion on Router hangs when downloading within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When I download game demo's at full speed (1.2meg for me) most of the time i cannot access the router ...

stevvie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router hangs when downloading

When I download game demo's at full speed (1.2meg for me) most of the time i cannot access the router until the download has stopped. I have the origional white netgear modem and I have tried with the sky software (which just stops PnP working after a few hours) and James custom firmware V1.03.87 (CU3.04) (which is MUCH better) both with the same results. Is it possible that my router is actually dying ?
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router hangs when downloading

Simple really, if you are using up all your bandwidth downloading, there is nothing left to surf with. If you are using torrents to download, adjust the download speed to leave a bit for doing other things.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nope, that doesn't explain why you can't even log into the router and I get this sometimes . It's not the fact that surfing becomes slow, I could understand if other websites become slow as you have a set amount of bandwidth and if you're using it then you can't surf. It's the fact that I cannot even log into the router at 192.168.0.1 and thats at only 1.2meg, so there's PLENTY of router bandwidth headroom.
      Last edited by stevvie; 19-07-09 at 11:57 AM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Wink Re: Router hangs when downloading

Are you using wireless? if so you may be saturating the bandwith available to it. Try a wire.

Thanks

Do you have 2 or more machines networked? If so can they 'talk' to each other when you are downloading?

I had this router access problem a couple of years ago, using the original firmware. I had to use the full address for some reason, ie http://192.168.0.1/start.htm to get access. This applied at any time, not just when downloading. With the later firmware, it has been OK. You might also like to try using a different browser, this sometimes worked for me when I was having problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am permanently connected to port lan1 through a cable using a realtek 8169 (10/100/1000) network card. There are other machines plugged in but they are very RARELY switched on. I have tried with only the power/adsl/Lan1(my pc) connected to the router and get the same thing sometimes. I have also tried to copy some data across the LAN from 1 machine to the other when this is happening and it goes at a snails pace. I either have to stop downloading and wait a minute or 2 or reboot the router, then it's OK for a while. The router doesn't really get any hotter and I have tried it with the feet in the vertical position (which I use) and without the feel in a horizontal position, Neither seems to make any difference. sometimes when this happens I can log into the router and sometimes I can't.

Thanks

It looks like your router may be failing, you could try phoning Sky and see if they will send you another.

TomD

Useful Utilites

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It may well be a router fault, however I've had the web interface of a netgear dg834g slow to an absolute crawl and frequently fail to respond while I had a problem with my line, the problem with the UI vanished as soon as the line was repaired - I suspected the router's CPU was too busy working on error correction to handle the UI as well.

If you are using bittorent, maybe you have too many open connections.