Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Connect - Should I be worried?!

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Connect - Should I be worried?! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all! (Sorry if this has already been posted but I'm new here...) I recently signed up for sky broadband ...

ryanmckernan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gortion, UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Post Sky Broadband Connect - Should I be worried?!

Hi all!
      (Sorry if this has already been posted but I'm new here...)

I recently signed up for sky broadband and sky TV, during which I found that I had to get Sky Broadband Connect at the lowered price of 10 (I think this has a signifance as I remember someone saying something like, "the lower the price is, the sooner LLU will be coming to your exchange") and being drawn in by the 40GB cap, I went for it. Days after I went on here and saw all the unberably negative feedback it has got about capping etc.

So I was just wondering, If for the first three months, I take it easy, don't torrent and don't do anything to overbearing on my connection will Sky still throttle my speeds at peak times? Already my speed is very very low (Below) and I don't need it any lower so I am hoping that being a good little Sky customer will mean that they do not throttle.

And if they do throttle, what approaches should I take with Sky to stop them from doing so and what should I hope for if there was a resolve? I will be very very annoyed if my connection is throttled as I do not download a lot (14GB a month (and thats when I go mad with downloading, its normally about 7-8GB)) and I could stop downloading and seeding torrents for a few months if I had to

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Connect - Should I be worried?!

ryanmckernan
      Hi I have you looked at Sky Broadband Term`s and Conditions
      Quote:
      Sky.com - Sky Products>Broadband>Terms and Conditions
      In addition to the monthly Usage Cap, this Traffic Management Policy applies to you if you take Sky Broadband Connect.
      Excessive use during peak time

We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times from 5pm to 12am each day. This is when the majority of customers use the network and when speeds could be affected by the excessive usage of a minority. If we consider that your usage is excessive during peak times we may slow down your connection for the rest of the day so that it has less affect on others. Only a very small number of customers will be affected by this (less than 2%). If you are affected, we will only slow down the speed you can get during peak times for applications which use a lot of bandwidth (for example, streaming, peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative effect on other customers. You will still be able to use Sky Broadband to do other things normally such as browsing, email, instant messaging and VOIP. There are no restrictions in place outside of peak times.

Traffic management of our Network

To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to 12am each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.
      Quote:
      at the moment connect Customers are having problems from 9am till 1am. Traffic Shaping seems to be running for 16 out of 24hrs there is a lot of connect Customers that are complaining with problems throughout the day
      I hope this explains some of the connect package problems

Thanks

So at the times they "monitor", I should just watch what I am doing and hope for the best?

Thanks

ryanmckernan
      Hi I think you will find that no matter what you do your line will be throttled at sometime To do speed tests it is better to use Bt performance tester Test Result which can only be done every 3hrs
      so you cannot run 2 or 3 to get an average. You can get information on how to do the test from top of the first page of the link
      Some connect Customer are having problem like these
      at the moment connect Customers are having problems from 9am till 1am. Traffic Shaping seems to be running for 16 out of 24hrs there is a lot of connect Customers that are complaining with problems throughout the day

Thanks

Yes, But it says in the T&Cs

We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times from 5pm to 12am each day. This is when the majority of customers use the network and when speeds could be affected by the excessive usage of a minority. If we consider that your usage is excessive during peak times we may slow down your connection for the rest of the day so that it has less affect on others.Only a very small number of customers will be affected by this (less than 2%). If you are affected, we will only slow down the speed you can get during peak times for applications which use a lot of bandwidth (for example, streaming, peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers. You will still be able to use Sky Broadband to do other things normally such as browsing, email, instant messaging and VOIP. There are no restrictions in place outside of peak times.
      So that basicially means that while they monitor the line, if there is not a lot of usage, there will be no throttling. And if there was, it would only be for certain apps like p2p and newsgroups. So, by shaping and throttling, Sky is violating their own T&Cs ?! This is so confusing

Thanks

One of the main problems is the connect package is over subscribed there is still some connect Customers who pay 5.00 and have done so for sometime now Sky have stopped unbundling exchanges and there is no sign of Sky starting again. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Thanks

You B*stard! My hopes were so high! Lol.

I guess all I can do is hope that nothing happens. If my speeds were reduced to someting like 30Kbp/s I would DIE!

I remember you saying in another post something about Sky Connect switching over to a new service (stream-something?) and I was just wondering how that was getting along. It seems very dissappointing that Sky would shaft people in such way. They should at least make it very apparent that traffic shaping and throttling is in connect. I thought I was getting a good deal

Thanks

Are you talking about this everything seemed great for 3wks then really slow speeds a couple of quotes
      It could be all those PSN connections using P2P being barred caused the increase in speed. Now they are back on line, you are suffering.
      the Connect product is changing this month from using BT Centrals to IP Stream Connect.
      grossly over-subscribed/under capacity
      I have done a lot of speed tests and the speeds vary day and night they are on the link Steve's Sky Connect speedtest blog the only thing I use my connection for now is the Skyuser site mainly at night sometimes very slow and hard use through the day

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Your screwed, get out now if you can, you have 8 days.

Check your exchange for O2 or Be LLU and run to the hills.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Steve...

"at the moment connect Customers are having problems from 9am till 1am. Traffic Shaping seems to be running for 16 out of 24hrs there is a lot of connect Customers that are complaining with problems throughout the day"

think you mean SOME are having issuse 9am-1am...as the majority are not...

I, as always, have no issues outside of peak time...and very few during...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast