Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just finished DLM and am unhappy

This is a discussion on Just finished DLM and am unhappy within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Skystories Just had a look at the stats I was getting when I was with Nildram at ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Just finished DLM and am unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Skystories View Post
      Just had a look at the stats I was getting when I was with Nildram at the end of June & I was getting speeds of around 7.2mb.

Excuse my ignorance but why would my speeds be lower now I'm with Sky?

Oh and I'll have another go with my screwdriver tomorrow!
      You are connecting at over 8mb with Sky so you are doing better.

Have you tried a wired connection yet?, I wouldn't bother with the test socket yet until you have.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

No extension cables and a filter fitted at the main box.
      Do you mean you are not using an extension on the router or that you have no extensions? If you do have extensions it will be worthwhile persevering with the screw you can't get out. You should be syncing much higher, you attenuation has the potential to give 13-15Mb on Max. You are sure the screw is not actually out and not just being held by a retainer? Some faceplates are a bit stiff and need waggled about to get them loose.

You may have to experiment with changing the router channels to get a better download speed, but first connect by cable to establish that the low download is due to wireless and not some other reason.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky stories I hear you frustration, and I too was in a similar posistion as you a few days ago.

I was at an advantage to you though becuase I knew my line could handle faster than what Sky's DLM found (or didn't as the case may be). Becuase I came over from Ukonline - who use the same network (easynet LLU) and was getting 16mb with them and 8mb with Sky.

It basically bolied down to the Sagem router they sent me was is either faulty, or just plain rubbish.
      At 8mb speeds it was showing my SNR or 8db, Attenuation 30.5db = no room for more speeds.
      I used a non sky netgear router and the SNR at 8mb was 16db with Attenuation of 26db = room for almost double speeds

Then i could phone sky broadband and after over an hour of messing with incompetant level 1 support I was passed to level 3 who saw that my line could handle more (due to the stats on the netgear router being much better).
      In a few seconds I was bumped up to 14.5mb.

Upload is still crap for me, but i'll ring em back next week re that one, can't face it again so soon.

p.s i'm already in the master socket with a filtered faceplate so if your haven't done that already make it top priority !!!

Skystories is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishen
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have the phone box with a filter plugged in. This has the Sky TV connector & router plugged in with the phone finally going in the Sky TV connector. There are no other phone lines off the main one.

Just connected wired and no difference in the speeds, still around 5mb.

Suppose I'll have to get the screwdriver out again to try & take the faceplate off unless anyone else has any bright suggestions.

Thanks for everyone's patience!

Thanks

If you have no extensions wired into the main socket, the test socket will give much the same results as he faceplate, unless your faceplate is faulty, which is unlikely.

You are syncing at the full speed for your package so the drop in speed is probably down to your PC settings, or you have malware or badly set security software running on your PC. If you are using XP try doing the Tweak Test. DrTCP link below. If it makes recommendations, download the application and make the recommended changes.

To check for the others start your PC in Safe Mode with Networking and try a speedtest on Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester

You could also open a Command Prompt and type netstat /b Make sure you recognise everything that is running.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Thanks

Skystories so you only have 1 x phone socket in your house ?

If so i'd still open the facepate and disengage the ring wires (theirs tutuorials all over the place about this)

2ndly get some good microfilters, they can make a good difference to your speeds - the ones supplied my sky sky are obvioiusly cheap and nasty.

This one is good, same filter as used in the famous XTE-2005 faceplate
      XF-1e Professional ADSL 2+ Microfilter

Thanks

If so i'd still open the facepate and disengage the ring wires (theirs tutuorials all over the place about this)
      If there are no extensions there should be no ring wire present.

TomD

Useful Utilites

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickric21 View Post
      Sky stories I hear you frustration, and I too was in a similar posistion as you a few days ago.

I was at an advantage to you though becuase I knew my line could handle faster than what Sky's DLM found (or didn't as the case may be). Becuase I came over from Ukonline - who use the same network (easynet LLU) and was getting 16mb with them and 8mb with Sky.

It basically bolied down to the Sagem router they sent me was is either faulty, or just plain rubbish.
      At 8mb speeds it was showing my SNR or 8db, Attenuation 30.5db = no room for more speeds.
      I used a non sky netgear router and the SNR at 8mb was 16db with Attenuation of 26db = room for almost double speeds

Then i could phone sky broadband and after over an hour of messing with incompetant level 1 support I was passed to level 3 who saw that my line could handle more (due to the stats on the netgear router being much better).
      In a few seconds I was bumped up to 14.5mb.

Upload is still crap for me, but i'll ring em back next week re that one, can't face it again so soon.

p.s i'm already in the master socket with a filtered faceplate so if your haven't done that already make it top priority !!!
      Rash statement to say to brush all of tier 1 with being 'incompetent'. Perhaps you should refer to the agent you were through to instead, rather than the dept. itself. Also, if you get through to the right people in Belfast, a lot tier 1 as of recent are ex-CST.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12