Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Capped?

This is a discussion on Capped? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Now i realise sky dont cap, however i cant understand whats wrong with my friends sky line. I suggested that ...

Jabbed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Capped?

Now i realise sky dont cap, however i cant understand whats wrong with my friends sky line.

I suggested that he ring them and politely ask them to manually configure the speed, however i still cant understand why he is getting such a low download speed when he has a pretty decent noise margin.

He also complains that he gets random disconenctions and that the broadband sometime interfears with the phone line (as in when he picks up the phone the internet will go off 50% off the time) He said that it had stopped for a while but then the problem came back.

Here are the stats.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capped?-barns-internet.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Capped?

First how long has he been with sky broadband.
      Second he should try disconnecting everything from all the phone sockets, then at the master socket try each filter in turn with the phone and pick up the phone, do that for all the filters until you find the faulty filter.
      Thrid ask him to try the test socket also, see link below for details i would recommend doing the filter testing from the test socket if he has one if not do as above.
      And last make sure that the ring wire in terminal 3 are disconnected from all phone sockets in the house.

Hope this info is of some use.

Meltdown365 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

I am the person in question, and I've had Sky for about 18 months if I can remember correctly

I've rang Sky countless times about mainly the internet cutting off, and got through to the REAL technical people, and they've run tests on my line and eventually the phone interference with the internet stopped, but a few weeks ago it came back and it's not as bad, but still interferes

And the download speed is awful, it's 768kbps on the stats of my router

It's never been great, but I think it's gradually got worse

There are microfilters on the sockets around my house, but only for phones

The main socket in my house is in the Computer room, and I also have a phone on the desk, so the microfilter is necessary in this room, and the main socket is just around the corner of the wall (the main BT line, as I used to be with BT)

It suddenly hit me that the download speed was rawly bad when I tried to download a game demo that took my friend with 10 meg internet 10 minutes, whereas it took me about 30 hours, I was downloading at a give or take 70-ish kbps

This needs sorting, and next week I will ring Sky and get this sorted, but I need to know what to say to get it boosted or whatever, and what tests I can do before I ring them to see if the fault is my own

Thanks for any help

Quik0706 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT23
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdown365 View Post
      There are microfilters on the sockets around my house, but only for phones
      Thanks for any help
      What else have you got connected without a filter?

Seems as if something isn't being filtered atm.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quik0706 View Post
      What else have you got connected without a filter?

Seems as if something isn't being filtered atm.
      You'll have to elaborate, I don't understand

The phone sockets only have one hole for the phone obviously

There's only 2 unused sockets in my house, one put in if needed in future and one where an old phone used to be, these sockets are not used

My router is plugged into my main socket with one of my phones using a microfilter

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Do any of your sockets have a groove / split in the plate, it does sound like either a filter is not working properly or something is wrong on the line. To speed things along when you call tier 1 you would be best doing certain things before calling and if possible calling from the test socket if you have one.
      First thing to check is remove everything else from the telephone line and swap out to a new filter, only plug the router in, check what stats you get.
      If you have a socket on the line that has a split going left to right above the screws then you have a BT test socket, plugging into this with a filter is the primary test position so finding out if you have one is key to a quick call as phoning tier 1 while in the test socket with the router plugged in showing the slow speed will get you a ticket opened very quickly.

Exchange:
      Thanks

My main socket is a BT socket, it has a line across it and the BT sign in the top left corner

When I rang up Sky a while back they got me to remove the microfilter and plug the phone cable directly into the socket by getting the screws out and taking the panel off, this did not help

I'm not the best person at computers and internet, but I don't understand this tiering thing ? Any explanations ?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

What Paul means by Tier 1 is the first level of support person you get when you call Sky, if they cannot resolve your problem they pass you further up the chain to customer support.
      Now before you call Sky again could you check that when you unscrewed the bit from the master socket, that there is no dial tone at any of the extensions. To be clear there should only be a dial tone at the test socket (the one underneath) with the bit removed from the master socket. Check all your sockets wether you use them or not.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I did that before

If you could recommend what I need to say to get to tier 2 or whatever so that this problem can be solved, that would be great

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your line is heavily capped as is shown by the very high noise margin. Just ask the first line support to troubleshoot you for speed as you have made improvements to your wiring (not true but you are better giving a reason for your request) If they cannot do it they should pass you to the CST who will be able to help. When you phone, be plugged into the Test socket as they will ask you to do this, also use a different filter so you can confirm you have tried another one. With your present figures you should get 6-7Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast