Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Who is getting the newly advertised speeds?

This is a discussion on Who is getting the newly advertised speeds? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; once it gets around no one'll be doing it!! just waiting on the brief... end of the day, all business' ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Who is getting the newly advertised speeds?

once it gets around no one'll be doing it!! just waiting on the brief...

end of the day, all business' have procedures that have to be followed and if they're not you get in trouble...I'd never expect anything to go out their way for me so I don't expect people to ask the same of me...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      hitenhirani is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale - LWCOL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Did he ask CST to go out of their way?
      Or did he simply ask about DLM and when or if he could get upgraded?

If the CST was just doing their job, and fulfilling a customer request, and thought that going above and beyond their call of duty to help a customer could possibly be a good thing, raise the profile of Sky and their cutsomer service?

Given the recent public surveys and reports on Sky's reputation for customer service/satisfaction, maybe the CST thought it would not only raise the profile of Sky's customer service, but also the CST own job satisfaction, to say they helped someone, they put a smile on someone's face, doing their job, which involves customer service, not customer disservice.

To do the job of the CST, should involve skill, technical expertise and a level of customer service.
      If you lack in an area, required in the job specification and/or person specification, then your performance appraisal/assessment will surely be affected.

I don't work for sky, I dont know what the job specification or person specifiaction is, or the performance appraisal/assessment procedure is.

Thanks

I absolutely agree with your post(s) but end of the day there is a procedure to follow - and yes, it would seem some agents are chosing to ignore/don't know this procedure...what I'm saying is that everyone who posts on here knows that only new customers are getting the new speeds with everyone being upgraded between now and August - so calling to 'exploit' said agents who don't know better isn't fair...

It's nothing about making someone feel good, every colleague I've informed about the DLM process has either said sorry for doing it or they weren't aware - and I've even gone as for as to call a customer to ask them about their knowledge of DLM and reset it as it shouldn't have been manually configured...it does seem it's poor communication on Sky's behalf as everyone I've spoken to wasn't informed of DLM at PoS, Tier 1 OR CST - and everyone failed to read their activation letter. Once informed about it they said they'd not have called otherwise...and existing customers I'd spoken to weren't told when upgrading from Mid to Max that speeds will drop to 4Mbps before entering DLM - it's actually quite shocking!!

End of the day, I'm not going to risk my job to 'help someone out' - regardless of Sky's reputation...I'll give customers the correct information and enlighten my colleagues if I need to...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      End of the day, I'm not going to risk my job to 'help someone out' - regardless of Sky's reputation.
      What, not even me, go on you know you want to

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme! It's my age you know. All these 3, 4, 5 & 6 letter anachronyms are beyond me now!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

jay.s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Albert Dock
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

I've had 1 call about someone upgrading from Mid to Max purely on the grounds of the limit reduction...everyone else it was due to the increase in speed...I just tell them that DLm has to run and it'll be faster in the next week or so. if they still feel it's slow then we'll manually configure it...if they went live pre-22nd June I tell them they'll be upgraded soon when we roll it out...everyone has been fine with it but you chose to put someone's job at risk by asking something that's not available to you yet...it's people like you I have no time for as it's all about now now now...

what happened to good things come to those who wait? no one has any patience any more...
      ive put no ones job at risk, i never put a gun to the agents head and forced him to upgraded the line lol i simply phoned and asked if my line was able to be upgraded as i was previously told by another cst agent that the line had been tested for 20mb. as someone else has said if you dont ask you dont get.
      Last edited by jay.s; 15-07-09 at 08:54 PM.

hitenhirani is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale - LWCOL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Smile Re: Who is getting the newly advertised speeds?

I absolutely agree with your post(s) but end of the day there is a procedure to follow - and yes, it would seem some agents are chosing to ignore/don't know this procedure...what I'm saying is that everyone who posts on here knows that only new customers are getting the new speeds with everyone being upgraded between now and August - so calling to 'exploit' said agents who don't know better isn't fair...

It's nothing about making someone feel good, every colleague I've informed about the DLM process has either said sorry for doing it or they weren't aware - and I've even gone as for as to call a customer to ask them about their knowledge of DLM and reset it as it shouldn't have been manually configured...it does seem it's poor communication on Sky's behalf as everyone I've spoken to wasn't informed of DLM at PoS, Tier 1 OR CST - and everyone failed to read their activation letter. Once informed about it they said they'd not have called otherwise...and existing customers I'd spoken to weren't told when upgrading from Mid to Max that speeds will drop to 4Mbps before entering DLM - it's actually quite shocking!!

End of the day, I'm not going to risk my job to 'help someone out' - regardless of Sky's reputation...I'll give customers the correct information and enlighten my colleagues if I need to...
      Mate, I'm not after a slanging match, lets get that clear. I'm not implying you are/were, or thought I was/am. This is an open friendly forum.
      But it's exactly that, an open friendly forum, for the likes of all kinds of people, technically minded, not so, and the eager beavers.....
      Some may not know if they are being upgraded between now and August, they may have read it, but dont understand the meaning of it all, they are simply interested in getting the internet, and speed may play a part into which ISP they choose, they know nothing about the technical issues surrounding how it works. Hence they come on here, do a few searches, but still dont understanding anything, and so call up Sky.
      You are someone in the know, clearly. Others are not, and they shouldn't get 'shouted' at themselves or have their views on an open forum torn to bits. Isn't a forum supposed to be fun and friendly, and full of advice, where people help each other, a good source of information? The information may have been staring people in the face, but the lack of understanding clouds all this information to about...... nothing.

The agents are working for Sky, everytime they speak to a customer, they are representing Sky. Individual names dont matter, all agents are Sky, if I speak to you, very knowledgable, great, I would thank you for your help, and let you know of my appreciation, and I would appreciate Sky as company, seen as I'm paying for a service. But, the ones who are not in the know, are also representing Sky, and its, as you say, Sky's poor communication or training, if you want, that shows, and Sky's reputation will suffer. Its this lack of training that lets the system down. In this case, Sky themselves, and the customer ended up getting a better result.

You should not put your job on the line, of course, no one should ask anyone to put their job on the line, and if its expected then the 'expector' should taking a running jump.
      But the point is, the customer in question never chose to put the agents job on the line, the agent did that themselves, and have Sky to blame if they werent trained properly, or the information wasnt communicated properly.

Lets not get to off topic, I apologise if I caused any offence, I was simply making a point to say the cutsomer never chose to get someone the sack.
      I would of course understand if you still had more to say, but I dont want to hijack the thread as such, lets get back on topic of whose getting the new advertised speeds.

Thanks

I know - but the thread is highlighting the fact that existing customers are calling in fully aware they shouldn't be upgraded yet and the agents are doing it...so it's everyone's fault!!

What you've posted is not offending me, just that this site annoys me in the fact everyone here knows about Sky and how they work yet still choose to exploit it where they can - 3rd party routers being a prime example...

Now, if Sky actually enforced it from the beginning this wouldn't be an issue (and, tbh, it's not) but the last thing I want is for Sky to start enforcing it and me get a call from someone who was using their own and (stupidly) sold their Sky one on eBay kicking off that they can't get online...it's the same with this situation...

But meh - looks like there's nothing I can do about other than enforce the correct policies in a hope there are others doing the same...

Everyone is going back onto DLM at some point anyway - so these people with the fast speeds will probably go back down again before DLM finished anyway - so if anything it might actually get worse!! I hope not...

F022Y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASUD
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

IANTM i feel for you i really do, i work in IT for a council and our policy clearly states that .pst files are forbidden (along with a few other bits) but has that stopped people getting shirty because they choose to ignore us, create them then yell at us because all of their project material is lost.......... NO!

Its for this reason (and following your comments across the forum) that i have decided not to contact Sky about my little problem until after DLM has run on my line. I for one have never had any issues with sky and understand the pressures of customer services, however i also understand the pressures of policy and compliance and the fragile balance between them.

Keep fighting the good fight

P.S before i get flamed for "we didn't say that they do a bad job" my comments simply come from a 'sitting on the fence' view from which i can see both sides.

*End Rant*

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123