Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BB Max Re-connection

This is a discussion on BB Max Re-connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello a few months ago i moved home, and immediately had my broadband transferred without problem, and was getting a ...

wupfunk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BB Max Re-connection

hello

a few months ago i moved home, and immediately had my broadband transferred without problem, and was getting a full 14meg download, however i did not immediately transfer my TV services as well. about 1 month ago i had my TV services sorted out at my new address, and through a mix up my broadband was also re-activated even though they said it would'nt be touched during the TV setup after i explained the broadband was sorted out when i originally moved in.

now, after the mix up, my broadband has been reactivated and i've been through the DLM, but i'm now only getting just under 10meg, when before i was getting 14meg and there's been ZERO change to anything except a new dish on my wall and going through the DLM process again.

i'm aware of the MAX speed changes and have noticed my upload is now at 95k, but i want my 14meg download bag, or close to 20meg if possible!!!!! (me, greedy, noooooo )

here's my stats from the skyuser pinger app:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9213 kbps 955 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 8 db

what should i be able to get? bearing in mind the line was handling 14meg fine a month ago.

also, a side note, if i request the Tier 3 gaming change, will that have any adverse affect on my normal PC internet usage???

thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: BB Max Re-connection

has DLM finished yet? if so you can call CST (no tier 3 for getting on 2 years now) and they can manually set you up...

as for delays, chances are they're already at 8 as DLM tends to do it by default - and with regards to general internet use it has no effect afaik...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

yeah DLM would've finished about 10-12 days go. i waited a few weeks before i decided to investigate should/could i be getting more DL speed.

thanks for the help

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Your stats indicate you should be able to get another 4-5mb so do as IANTE says and ring CST to get them to manually configure the line.

mrvanx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Melrosegate (MYMSG)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Just to tag onto this topic (as it is close to my situation), got reconnected to Unlimited (was max before i moved but now am actually on the new unlimited contract) the broadband was activated today and looks like DLM is well and truely in action... I hooked up the router (sagem) and am getting the following stats:
      • speed: 4095 (down) , 510 (up)
      • attenuation: 33.0dB (down) , 16.7dB (up)
      • SNR: 14.8dB (down) , 22.5dB (up)

I was acheiving around 8-9 meg at my old address with higher attenuation and lower SNR (snr was around 6-7dB, attenuation around 45dB), so hopefully the next ten days will show an improvment??? I hope im correct in saying DLM is still used at sky right?

EDIT: connection has been up for around an hour at time of posting.
      Last edited by mrvanx; 14-07-09 at 07:44 PM. Reason: EDIT: Uptime of the connection around an hour at time of posting.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

DLM should start within 72hrs of going live and can run for upto 10 days or so, usually, you will see a good speed increase quite quickly then it gradually increases it until it hits it's highest stable speed.

You should see 12-14mb with that attenuation but your noise margin doesn't seem high enough to get that, have you checked the ring wire is removed at the master?, it would also be worth connecting directly to the test socket via a filter during DLM and also posting the stats from there too.

Thanks

Im connected directly to the master socket with an in-line filter, rather annoyingly the previous owner of my new house buried the master socket slightly into the window-sill thus i cant get the front off and/or fit my adslnation filtered faceplate! GRR!

Im planning getting the master socket moved so i can use my faceplate and install extra phone wiring around the house (cat6e already run throughout).

I'll be happy with 8 or faster as I had before, anything else is a bonus.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrvanx View Post
      Just to tag onto this topic (as it is close to my situation), got reconnected to Unlimited (was max before i moved but now am actually on the new unlimited contract) the broadband was activated today and looks like DLM is well and truely in action... I hooked up the router (sagem) and am getting the following stats:
      • speed: 4095 (down) , 510 (up)
      • attenuation: 33.0dB (down) , 16.7dB (up)
      • SNR: 14.8dB (down) , 22.5dB (up)

I was acheiving around 8-9 meg at my old address with higher attenuation and lower SNR (snr was around 6-7dB, attenuation around 45dB), so hopefully the next ten days will show an improvment??? I hope im correct in saying DLM is still used at sky right?

EDIT: connection has been up for around an hour at time of posting.
      thats roughly about what mine first connected at, but by the next morning i was bang on upto 9meg.

i rang them yesterday and they agreed my line was capable of 16meg and would sort it out. waited on hold for a bit, then my call got disconnected after 10 minutes!!!!! right before i had to leave for work, so could'nt call them back

Thanks

How rude!!

My stats and sync havent changed yet, the connection has been up for over 27 hrs now so DLM aint kicked in yet (this also reflects in the broadband section of my sky).

I realise DLM will take up to 3 days to start and a further up to 10 days to finish, its not bad at the mo i suppose

Thanks

Quick update, DLM kicked in this morning (early), getting better than at my old address at the moment........the SNR does seem to change slightly with the time of day (the line heating and cooling no doubt) but its been up now for over 19 hrs solid, the SNR was around 7.4dB at around 6pm but the screenshot shows how it is right now.

One question, with DLM running the best sync rateof the line should be determined, does sky's equipment limit the throughput of the connection though? currently speed tests are showing around 2700 - 2900 kbit/s, I realise the connection should probably bounce around a bit during DLM but i figured the throughput would increase/decrease with the sync rate? a bit of clarification on this would be helpful
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB Max Re-connection-routerstats.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast