Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

8 Meg ADSL capped to 0.6meg - Absolute joke

This is a discussion on 8 Meg ADSL capped to 0.6meg - Absolute joke within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; http://www.speedtest.net/result/516683031.png Recently (past 2 months or so) my internet has started to play up. Originally i just thought it to ...

KieranA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

8 Meg ADSL capped to 0.6meg - Absolute joke

http://www.speedtest.net/result/516683031.png

Recently (past 2 months or so) my internet has started to play up. Originally i just thought it to be a fault, but then it became apparent Sky have been capping me.

I don't use my internet for too much, i watch BBC iPlayer about twice every week - Which isn't a lot really, the rest is just general browsing. I'd understand if they capped me to say 2 meg but 0.6 meg is ridiculous.

Apparently you need to actually TELL the people on the phone what they need to do, you need to INSTRUCT them, because frankly they don't have a clue. So yesterday they pushed me to the edge, they told me they wasnt capping my internet and that they would only do that if i overused my connection. I asked them what their definition of "over use was" and then i asked the woman "can you send me my usage stats for the past month."

She said no, I'm a pretty harsh person when i don't get what i want over the phone, I'm sure many people would admit to that - simply because the fact is they're meant to be providing you with a service, you expect a company to actually go out of their way to help you, some companies do - but Sky isn't one of them. I then asked to speak with her manager, who apparently wasnt there. So i asked to speak to his manager, which is fair enough. She put me through to him and i got the same old crap, technical nonsense which was complete lies - i hadn't told them yet that i do know a lot about Networking as i used to work for BT.

Anyway it got to the point where i remembered that i could in fact use the Freedom of Information Act to make them send me all of the personal information stored on me, and usually that includes the data about my account.

I'm waiting for it to come through, so we'll see!

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 8 Meg ADSL capped to 0.6meg - Absolute joke

There are no reports of Sky capping anyone on the Base, Mid or Max packages due to over usage "Yet". So if you are on one of these packages and your speed has dropped it's most likely that your line has developed a fault or DLM "Dynamic Line Management" has automatically reduced the speed due to issues with the line. If you have worked for BT then I guess you will know how to test for these problems.
      If however you are on the "Connect" package, this is just a rebadged BT product for areas where Sky dont have there own equipment in the exchange. This package doe's contain throttling and bandwidth restrictions at certain times of day.
      If you posted some detailed stats from your router someone on here may be able to help.

GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

I think the OP is on connect,,, Judging by this post: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...ost200277Being ex BT, one would have thought he/she knew the score lol...

Mike

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

GSMGuy
      Hi Mike you are right KieranA posted twice on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? and is on the connect package.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KieranA View Post
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/516683031.png

Recently (past 2 months or so) my internet has started to play up. Originally i just thought it to be a fault, but then it became apparent Sky have been capping me.

I don't use my internet for too much, i watch BBC iPlayer about twice every week - Which isn't a lot really, the rest is just general browsing. I'd understand if they capped me to say 2 meg but 0.6 meg is ridiculous.

Apparently you need to actually TELL the people on the phone what they need to do, you need to INSTRUCT them, because frankly they don't have a clue. So yesterday they pushed me to the edge, they told me they wasnt capping my internet and that they would only do that if i overused my connection. I asked them what their definition of "over use was" and then i asked the woman "can you send me my usage stats for the past month."

She said no, I'm a pretty harsh person when i don't get what i want over the phone, I'm sure many people would admit to that - simply because the fact is they're meant to be providing you with a service, you expect a company to actually go out of their way to help you, some companies do - but Sky isn't one of them. I then asked to speak with her manager, who apparently wasnt there. So i asked to speak to his manager, which is fair enough. She put me through to him and i got the same old crap, technical nonsense which was complete lies - i hadn't told them yet that i do know a lot about Networking as i used to work for BT.

Anyway it got to the point where i remembered that i could in fact use the Freedom of Information Act to make them send me all of the personal information stored on me, and usually that includes the data about my account.

I'm waiting for it to come through, so we'll see!
      Free of Information Act doesn't cover usage limits, just the notes put by Agents on your Sky account - usage isn't in the public domain so you won't get them...

Regarding the agent having access to your usage - they don't. Only people that have access are the network ops (who aren't public facing) and only then they have to run a huge report to get all your usage and then break it down into traffic type and the like...

I think the agent did everything they could and depending on how you came across I'm surprised they didn't end the call - if it was anything like your rant here I certainly would have...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

coolchris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goldthorpe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I think what u mean is Subject Access Request which will cost you 10 fee by law. That will give you access to all records that Sky holds for you.