Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Max number of microfilters on one line?

This is a discussion on Max number of microfilters on one line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi Bit of an odd question, but hoping someone here can shed some light on it. My house has six ...

Commodore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: West Drayton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question Max number of microfilters on one line?

hi

Bit of an odd question, but hoping someone here can shed some light on it.

My house has six sockets (one Openreach master and 5 extensions, all pre-wired when we bought the place, it's new build).

Our Sky router finally arrived today, and the box contained the usual three microfilters. Now. while we have siz sockets, we only have stuff connected to three of them (the phone is plugged into one, the Sky HD box plugged into another and the fax machine and broadband router plugged into a third - none of them are the master socket).

How many microfilters do I actually need? Do I still need to put a microfilter on every socket regardless of whether we are plugging anything into it, or just the ones with active phone or broadband devices connected to them? What about the master socket, does that still need a microfilter in it even though no phone or DSL router is directly connected to it?

All help appreciated.

Thanks
      Chris

2. Advertisement
      Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Re: Max number of microfilters on one line?

You just need to add them if there is a piece of equipment being connected to the socket
      Ideally you'd want your router connected to the master socket for best broadband connection if possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldson2121 View Post
      Ideally you'd want your router connected to the master socket for best broadband connection if possible.
      Indeed, unfortunately the master socket is not an option for us as some bright spark decided to put the master socket in the hall cupboard = no mains power in reasonable reach to plug the router into alas.

Chris

Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thats a shame, hopefully with it being a new build your wiring is up to scratch so you wont lose too much in noise/sync speed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldson2121 View Post
      Thats a shame, hopefully with it being a new build your wiring is up to scratch so you wont lose too much in noise/sync speed.
      Fingers crossed. Just fired up the router (on the off chance that the broadband has been enabled early (it hasn't), using the following microfilter setup:

Master socket: no microfilter (no devices)
      Extension 1: no microfilter (no devices)
      Extension 2: no microfilter (no devices)
      Extension 3: microfilter (Sky Broadband router attached)
      Extension 4: microfilter (Sky HD box attached)
      Extension 5: microfilter (DECT cordless phone base station attached)

If there's any aspect of that layout that screams as wrong, someone please say.

Cheers
      Chris

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

A lot will depend on if it has been wired properly with the correct cable

I have seen many new builds were the electrician has ran in the wires in all sorts of cables, from two core flex to alarm cable.

Remove the faceplate of the master socket and remove any wires in terminal 3, you only need terminal 2 & 5 connected.

Also, you have a lot of extensions, I would remove any that you are not going to use assuming they all run back to the master socket (although I don't think you will be able to get 5 extensions to fit in the back so they may run into a junction box), you can just remove them from there and leave all the cables etc just incase you decide you want to use them in the future.

Also when the faceplate is removed from the master, check all the other extension to ensure they are dead, if the wiring is done right, they should be.

It would be worth taking a couple of pictures of the master socket showing the connections etc so we can have a look, Brian will be able to tell you if it is indeed done right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      A lot will depend on if it has been wired properly with the correct cable
      Indeed - herein lies the question, but that said, the Openreach engineer that turned up the day my phone line went live seemed happy with the state of the cabling going in to the master socket. So fingers crossed.

Remove the faceplate of the master socket and remove any wires in terminal 3, you only need terminal 2 & 5 connected.

Also, you have a lot of extensions, I would remove any that you are not going to use assuming they all run back to the master socket (although I don't think you will be able to get 5 extensions to fit in the back so they may run into a junction box), you can just remove them from there and leave all the cables etc just incase you decide you want to use them in the future.
      Unfortunately, given the crappy location of the master socket, I'm not comfortable or prepared to do any DIY de-wiring of anything connected to it. The cupboard where it is located is small, awkward to get into and has no light, so for the time being i'm going to leave it. If problems persist, then I'll get an engineer out to deal with it as the building is still in its defect period so all such fixes etc are down to Taylor Wimpey.

Also when the faceplate is removed from the master, check all the other extension to ensure they are dead, if the wiring is done right, they should be.
      We did that when the Openreach enginner visited, and they were, so that's one thing that's OK.

Cheers
      Chris

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It is a shame that you cannot go for a filter faceplate and shift the router close to the master, as it is internal wiring like yours with lots of extensions that has most to gain from this approach. I understand that the extensions are wired correctly and that the Openreach tech was happy as far as telephony goes, however broadband does suffer from lots of extensions all carrying the BB signal, wether used or not.
      I can understand you not wishing to interfer with the wiring, but I think an approach to the developer would land on deaf ears as the contract with whoever installed the wiring was likely to be just for telephone operation, and not BB