Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I think my Sky Broadband unlimited is capped at 4 Meg.

This is a discussion on I think my Sky Broadband unlimited is capped at 4 Meg. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, i dont know what else to suggest except ring sky and get them to send an engineer out free ...

Jabbed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: I think my Sky Broadband unlimited is capped at 4 Meg.

Ok, i dont know what else to suggest except ring sky and get them to send an engineer out free of charge as he should be able to find out whats causing your problem.

Alternatively you could get through to sky tier 2 support and ask them to run tests online...

You could also try cuttiing some of the wires in each of your phone sockets (ONLY THE ONES THAT ARE NOT NEEDED) Ill let someone else help you with this if you decide to do it as i have no clue on what to do im afraid and i would not want to give you advice thats wrong.

2. Advertisement
      dwranson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rose Street (ESROS)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

ok, my extensions do have wires goin to unused extensions from a previous provider.... dam i bet i cut the wrong one

p.s is there anything i can say to be put through to tier 2 easily?

Thanks

I did say not to cut any wires without the guideance of a more knowledgeable member as i have never cut wires before. Ill try and find a guide.

Yes Demand. Say you have definately got a very serious speed issue and that you need to be given a tier 2 ticket number so you can be passed immediately through to tier 2

Thanks

Think ill get sky to send an engineer. Im quite sceptical though as the previous engineers ive had for tv installation and linking my boxes to the lines werent exactly great.

Thanks

Ok, read this page here Speed Issue

Not exactly the detailed guide ive seen before (I cant seem to find the detailed guide) but smithy does give quite good details, however i wouldnt touch anything your not comfortable with doing (for example cutting wires) id wait until a more knowledgeable member can explain, or until sky send someone out.

Thanks

thanks for that thread. I noticed smithy told you to conenct it to the test socket before DLM have finished, this would have been SO GOOD to know before my line testing finished... ah well. I hope sky will be willing to fix my internal wiring or whatevers wrong with it, heres hoping... Ill sacrifice my boxes being connected. so none of my extensions are completely necessary.Also im sure a socket isnt active if nothing is connected, so i think the problem could be with the master socket itself. Just to clarify, my problem is that when my router is connected at the master socket by itself with none of my sky boxes connected or any phones, the noise margin is still very low (7db) at 8 meg. I even get slightly better noise margin if i conenct the router to one of my extension sockets. But when plugged into the test socket on the nte5 master socket, the noise margin is considerably increased to about 21db.
      Last edited by dwranson; 15-07-09 at 04:48 AM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Buy a filtered faceplate and that will sort out your problems.

For now, connect directly to the test socket and ring Sky, tell them you have improved your wiring, they will run through some tests and hopefully will eother get CST to configure your line manually or put you through to them.

Don't DEMAND as you have been advised or you may very well see your phone call terminated, there really is no need for this approach, also, dont ask for Tier 1, 2 or 3, they don't exsist anymore and haven't for nearly two years, it is 1st line suppost and CST.

Be polite and try what they want you to, ensure you are in the test socket so you don't have to disconnect everything etc.

Thanks

Ok, many thanks! So your sure that an adsl filter plate will do the job then? Is there a particular make or model which you can recommend?? Im also going to be phoning sky in an hour or so to try get them to increase my speed. wish me luck! thanks guys! (what a great forum)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I agree with Smithy, your problem is in your internal wiring which Sky will do nothing about. Unless you are prepared to leave the router plugged into the Test socket it will be pointless phoning Sky until you fit a filtered faceplate.
      What you could do in the meantime, is remove the ring wire from terminal 3 of the Master socket backplate. Just pull it straight up out of the connectors. This wire activated the 'bell' on old type phones and is not required with the modern system. It causes a power imbalance between the 2 main wires and can cause a great deal of noise on your line. Do this and try the stats in the faceplate, see if it makes much difference.

Have a look here for advice on faceplates, in the end it comes down to personal choice, none are much better than others.
      ADSL Faceplate Filters - SkyUser Reviews

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ok, phoned sky, they said there is a ticket been sent to higher level of support who are going to reconfigure my line. i have ordered the adsl nation XTE-2005 Master Faceplate, so im going to hope that does the job, and meanwhile just keep my phone and router plugged into the test socket. If it is my internal wiring im finding it hard to understand why just using a filtered faceplate will fix my noise margin, but heres hoping anyway. Sky support said the reconfiguration can take up to 72 hours. Ill be keeping a firm eye on my speeds the next day or 2. Ill post my results after. here are my results with the router plugged in at the test socket.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I think my Sky Broadband unlimited is capped at 4 Meg.-screen-capture.jpg  
      Last edited by dwranson; 15-07-09 at 06:40 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast