Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Speed just dropped (DLM?)

This is a discussion on Speed just dropped (DLM?) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Recently (1 week ago) we just upgraded to Sky Unlimited due to this new Mid package usage limit! ...

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear D7800 (AC2600) Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Speed just dropped (DLM?)

Hi all,

Recently (1 week ago) we just upgraded to Sky Unlimited due to this new Mid package usage limit! And during the upgrade time I was continually watching our download speeds (In router stats.) just to keep an eye on things. Now after the upgrade had completed I noticed that our download speed had halved so I got straight on to sky BB to tell them. I went through all the tier 1 India stuff and was then presented with tier 2 (or CR team.) The chap was very helpful and within minutes had my connection (in router) up to 11542Mbps down, and 750kbps up

However last night I noticed (after a BB speedtest) the router page was now showing 7611Mbps down and 796kbps up? Almost 4Mbps less download speed. I rebooted a few times becasue normaly there is at least a change in the connection speed, however tonight nothing! (the router seems to be locked at 7611Mbps download.)

Question.. Has this DLM thing kicked back in for me or somehting?

Thanks guys

Router stats
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7611 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.5 db 20.3 db
      Noise Margin 13.6 db 15.0 db

2. Advertisement
      gareth86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Speed just dropped (DLM?)

You weren't meant to interrupt DLM by calling them in the first place. It would have raised your speed by itself.

Looking @ the upload it looks like it's gone back to the stats after you upgraded or dlm has kicked in again as it didn't have the chance to before.. or someone may have noticed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gareth86 View Post
      You weren't meant to interrupt DLM by calling them in the first place. It would have raised your speed by itself.

Looking @ the upload it looks like it's gone back to the stats after you upgraded or dlm has kicked in again as it didn't have the chance to before.. or someone may have noticed?
      Sorry, maybe I didn't explain clearly...

1. On Sky Mid (before upgrade to unlimited) I had 8.1Mbps download and about 350kbps up ok. These speeds were stable in router stats for about six months. (even after reboots)

2. After my Sky upgrade to unlimited (I initially got) 4.5Mbps down and 600kbps upload (= worse.) So I called Sky! After talking to Tier 2 they got me to 11.5Mbps download and 750kbps upload.

3. Now my router stats are lowered again showing 7.6Mbps download and 796kbps upload.

Alright the upload has gone up, but download speed has dropped by 4 Mbps from the speed the helpful technician at Sky got me to whilst I was talking to him on the phone. He actually tried for 13Mbps but said it was unadvisable as It may have been unstable for my line. This was ok and for me 11.5Mbps was the best he could do.

So what do I do guys.. Call them again tomorrow to regain my better 11.5Mbps connection or just wait till DLM has finished?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky should not have manually confirgure your line following the upgrade, DLM was supposed to run and configure it for you.

If DLM is running, it should be allowed to finish, if not and it had been suspended, you will have to ring again for find out what has happened.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ exactly...you should've been told by sales at POS and tier 1 that an upgrade = DLM and they shouldn't have passed you through to CST until it shows complete...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Sky should not have manually confirgure your line following the upgrade, DLM was supposed to run and configure it for you.
      So will my speed actually increase automatically whilst DLM is running because today my download has risen from 7.6Mbps to 8.1Mbps?

you should've been told by sales at POS and tier 1 that an upgrade = DLM and they shouldn't have passed you through to CST until it shows complete
      How can I tell this please? Service Details in My Sky show.... Service unavailable
      Sorry, this service is currently unavailable. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regards

orb
      Last edited by orbiter; 10-07-09 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks

it's on your activation letter - at the bottom - telling you speeds start at 4Mbps Unlimited/3Mbps Everyday/1Mbps Base and PoS should have also made you aware of DLM and tier 1 when you called saying it's slow as they can see if it's running or not...having said that it seems people aren't getting their activation letters, or not reading them...in your case you wouldn't have got one as you're already on Sky BB hence why they should've said that when u[grading your speed will go down to 4Mbps and increase again in the next 7-10 days...looks like Sky suspended DLM, manually configured it and left DLM off...could be wrong though...

basically if you've just gone live/upgraded any call to CST should've been refused...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      it's on your activation letter - at the bottom - telling you speeds start at 4Mbps Unlimited/3Mbps Everyday/1Mbps Base and PoS should have also made you aware of DLM and tier 1 when you called saying it's slow as they can see if it's running or not...having said that it seems people aren't getting their activation letters, or not reading them...in your case you wouldn't have got one as you're already on Sky BB hence why they should've said that when u[grading your speed will go down to 4Mbps and increase again in the next 7-10 days...looks like Sky suspended DLM, manually configured it and left DLM off...could be wrong though...

basically if you've just gone live/upgraded any call to CST should've been refused...
      Ok, I'll see what happens over the next week or so.. I guess 8Mbps is not so bad, but to be honest we had this happen once when we on the Mid package and only after getting to CST was it sorted out.

Thanks

but it shouldn't HAVE got to CST, as you were on DLM...surely you've read enough on here to know if you're new/upgrade you get put on DLM??...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      but it shouldn't HAVE got to CST, as you were on DLM...surely you've read enough on here to know if you're new/upgrade you get put on DLM??...
      I didn't realise I would be put back on DLM due to just the upgrade, I thought that it was just used when first connected to Sky. I know now though thanks.
      I would have thought the person I spoke to initially at Sky would have just informed me of DLM though as I did explain straight away that I had just been upgraded to unlimited. Anyway that's done and gone now.

Am I right in thinking that I just wait now for my line speed to increase back to around 11.5Mbps (router speeds) ?

Regards

orb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast