Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Please Advise Me On My Sync Speed

This is a discussion on Please Advise Me On My Sync Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy it seems no one's taking one bit of notice about DLM and the fact it HAS ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Please Advise Me On My Sync Speed

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      it seems no one's taking one bit of notice about DLM and the fact it HAS to run the first time before manual config can be done...such a shame as Sky have invested a ton of money in it for people to ignore it...
      They should have saved the money and used it to keep the 40gb allowance on mid

2. Advertisement
      Instinct is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southampton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I didn't know if sky had a training period or not to begin with because it was not mentioned in any of the letters sent to me. Also I didn't know it would take 24hrs to kick in.

I was quite happy to let it run its course but the advisor insisted to me he might as well just set it now because it wont make my connection any faster than what he would set it to now. Which of course was either ignorance or a lie.

Oh well, ive sent a support email stating ive improved my internal wiring and would like to have my connection returned to the DLM / un-capped.

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      tbh, i you went live a day or so ago, DLM wouldn't have started as it's takes about 24hrs for it to kick in...as said, you should've just waited as it's known that Max starts on 4Mbps and goes up...

having said that, it seems no one's taking one bit of notice about DLM and the fact it HAS to run the first time before manual config can be done...such a shame as Sky have invested a ton of money in it for people to ignore it...
      But surely it is skys own agents that are ignoring the DLM process ? I think you yourself have said as much. This is not a criticism of you by the way.
      Sky should make their policy crystal clear to the staff and members that as new members to sky BB you will go through DLM , no exception. SO why is this not happening, considering the cost to sky ?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Because people don't always do as thre're told and because in most cases this would actually benefit the customer.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Instinct View Post
      I didn't know if sky had a training period or not to begin with because it was not mentioned in any of the letters sent to me. Also I didn't know it would take 24hrs to kick in.
      I've heard a number of people say this recently, only if they bothered to actually read the stuff that Sky sends them. If you look at the Broadband activation letter that Sky sends out it's in there quite clearly, under the section entitled "About Sky Broadband Speeds".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      I've heard a number of people say this recently, only if they bothered to actually read the stuff that Sky sends them. If you look at the Broadband activation letter that Sky sends out it's in there quite clearly, under the section entitled "About Sky Broadband Speeds".
      I just dug out all the letters sky have sent me. I got one, dated June 24th, asking me to provide them with my MAC code, although I had already done this over the phone at the time of ordering. I ignored this letter and it all continued fine anyway.

I received another letter dated June 24th stating my activation date (2nd July), it waffles on about tracking my order on mysky and my mysky username, it says my sky router will arrive prior to my activation date.

It says on there I chose Skybroadband BaseBase (yes Base Base), to which it states the maximum download speed is 2Mb and it estimates my line is capable of about 10 - 20Mb. even though I ordered Unlimited, and it said Unlimited on mysky and I actually was put on Unlimited.

Then it states day-to-day speed vary dependant on a number of factors.

And thats basically it, nothing about a 10-day training period or DLM etc.

Thats all I received (apart from the sky router invoice), so please don't imply I didn't bother to read the information sent to me.

Any further advice on what I should do ? Thanks

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Apologies for the implication, no offence meant. It looks like they sent out the wrong type of letter in your case specifically aimed at Sky Base customers.

Thanks

Np. They sent out a couple of dodgy letters didn't they :P

Anyways, I sent a support ticket to them a couple days ago:

Hello.
      My connection with sky was activated a few days ago, I called the day after activation and I was put through to the CST. The advisor removed me from the 10-day training period (DLM) and set my line sync speed to 12.5mb. I have now improved my internal wiring and would like to have DLM run on my line / have my line "un-capped".
      I recieved a response at 2:43am today:

I can confirm that your line has been configured to 16mbps, and DLM has been activated on your line.
      Please monitor your connection for the next 10 days, ensuring that you leave your broadband router on.
      Much Happier Its now at exactly what it was on with my old ISP. DLM will ensure that my line is stable too :P Happy Happy Happy

Thanks for your advice everyone.
      Last edited by Instinct; 07-07-09 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Changed "not" to "now" :P Oops xD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12