Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Endless Problem

This is a discussion on The Endless Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone, well i have had a problem ongoing for months with sky broadband so here goes. I originally had ...

Magz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehaven
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The Endless Problem

Hello everyone, well i have had a problem ongoing for months with sky broadband so here goes.

I originally had a problem where the internet would only connect whilst on the phone speaking to someone and then disconnect when the phone was put down for nearly 2 and a half months.

I tried 4 sets of filters, i have tried both extension sockets, i have tried the master socket and i have tried the test socket.

They did several line tests including tests with the phone unplugged and they said everything was fine but i had a very slow speed (about 1mb on sky max)

However i also have alot of noise on the line (Which goes when you unplug the DSL cable) and when the internet light on the router (sagem f@st 2405) flashes amber i can hear it on the phone line, the screaming noise of the old 56k connections.

I have been through to the customer solutions team several times, different departments, alsorts.

It worked for 2 weeks straight and i had changed the grey dsl wire that comes with the router to the white one from my old BT broadband router and it worked for 2 weeks untill today, someone rang and it cut off, works while speaking to someone on the phone etc.

We also had an engineer out and he said he could not find any line faults (he did say he heard the noise on the line though) and showed me the test results and everything was green ticks, all he did was install a filter faceplate (NTE5 adsl faceplate) on the master socket but he said that was just because they are better, not because a filter was the problem.

So ive been on the phone to them again today and the women i spoke to did several tests, tested the line with the BT Broadband router aswell to rule out a problem with the Sky router and she said the line was very unstable and because of the BT router it rules out no problem with the sky router (but why did it work with the BT cable instead of the sky cable? ) she kept saying something about URPS on her end (i have no idea how you spell it or if thats correct but thats what it sounded like) but to be honest she had a really really thick irish accent and i couldnt understand 90% of it, now im waiting for Sky's BT department to ring back which could be several days, but as said before when an engineer came out he couldnt find a fault.

They have also said several times the line is on some new network and there will be teething problems and not everyone is trained on it, we never had any problems with BT Broadband for 6 months on the same line (apart from they didnt connect it at the exchange when we first got it, we had a new line put in)

So we had an engineer out yesterday for the 3rd time and he did alot more than the first one, he said the phone line was right next to a power line (or something like that i wasnt there this is what ive been told so i could be missing bits out) and he has fit a small box next to the main socket and something with the wires as far as i can guess he was in the attic and stuff so but i dont know to be exact.

I'd like to say it fixed it, well it did.....for a day now back to square one, But the problem has not been found, no one has said yet there is a specific problem with either the line or router or exchange or anything, Engineers couldnt find a problem and seen as how BT worked i believe it is the router, when i told them it worked when i changed the DSL wires around they sent out a new cable...which isnt what i needed because its not the cable at fault...for example i just had to do it now.

Cable A is plugged in, internet stops working
      Plug Cable B in, internet works for a while
      Cable B is plugged in, internet stops working
      Cable A is plugged in, internet starts working for a while

and so on and so on.

Engineers test showed no faults, placed a micro filter faceplate (NTE5 adsl faceplate), didnt fix it.
      Engineer 2 checked wiring and saw something was close to an electrical wire, moved it, didnt fix it.

So after all of that it was working for a week or two and now since 3 days ago its been disconnecting/connecting every other half hour or so, and when it is connected it is amazingly slow i mean look...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 69 kbps 66 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0 db 33.0 db
      Noise Margin 9.4 db 25.0 db
      (Thats in the test socket)

So now they are sending a new router out which was supposed to arrive today but hasnt, so ill have to see if that will fix it, i hope so because its really starting to get annoying when it takes nearly 20 minutes to load a website.

Thanks

P.S Here is the little box thing the 3rd engineer installed which we thought fixed it however obviously not. (Btw you dont want to know howlong it has taken to upload the image because of the 69kpbs speed....)
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Endless Problem-hpim0744.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: The Endless Problem

The noise on the line is the give away, you have a line problem and you will have to keep going on at Sky and Openreach untill it is fixed, accept the new router, and when it does not fix the problem, get back to Sky.
      The "little box" fitted beside the master is an RF3 filter and will not cure your problem. Sorry not to offer more help, but there is really only one way to fix your problem and that is a line repair, or a swap to a new line if there is sufficient spairs going back to your exchange.

Thanks

Just got the new router, using it now and guess what...

Connection Speed 72 kbps 66 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0 db 32.8 db
      Noise Margin 16.6 db 23.5 db

Same again...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

It's not the same, you noise margin is much higher so you should see more speed.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

Actually, not quite the same again. You now have a much better downstream noise margin which in turn should give you a better connect speed.

- Sorry smithy69 you just beat me to it

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Lol, i'm on the ball today

Thanks

Ok so its went up from 69kps to 72kps lol, which was what i ment by how its the same which is why the problem is still there, 2 routers, 3 engineers, several of everything else its a fun life haha

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Yes the noise margin is better and you could contact sky and see if they will lift the capp on your speed, but I suspect this is a red herring and the real fault is still there waiting to put in an apperance.

superping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

You could even be on faulty equipment in the exchange have sky ever tried a tie pair shift?

Thanks

Well just now it has sped up, stats atm are:

Connection Speed 3731 kbps 700 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57.5 db 32.7 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 10.5 db