Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

This is a discussion on Disconnects 'n Speed Issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been with Sky for over 3 years without any issues; and i'm about 1.2km from my exchange. Been getting ...

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

I've been with Sky for over 3 years without any issues; and i'm about 1.2km from my exchange.
      Been getting synced around 9-10meg in the past consistently...

Anyways, every since the last 2 weeks i've noticed a number of issues with my connection. Tends to drop and fails to resync automatically until a good few hours; unless i force a reboot on the router. In which case, i get synced at a very low speed i.e. 1-3 meg. If i try and reboot a number of times thereafter, i can't seem to get it above 3 meg? At times, its simply syncs lower and lower i.e. 2meg, 1.5meg, 1meg....
      I even had CST look at this when it happend, and they couldn't understand why it wouldnt sync higher? We even tried another old router with CST and we confirmed that it wasnt a router issue.

However, when i leave it for a period of time....and then force a reboot, it syncs back to usual speeds of 9+meg. But after a good few hours (3-16hours) the same issue would repeat i.e. disconnect.

I've raised a call back on Thur 11/06 and up until now, i've had no resolution or even a callback on progress! I have literally had to call almost every day to chase this up and seems to go in loops i.e. dealing with different people and going thru the whole story again and again....All i know now is that its supose to be with the 3 tier for a the last few days?
      Its shocking that they even closed off the initally call without me knowing! Until i phoned up and had it reopened again. They claimed that because my line was stable for 16 hours it was resolved? Just after that the disconnects happend again.

So far this is my stats below:

System Up Time: 08:38:30

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 27063 30777 0 191 676 08:37:29
      LAN 100M/Full 111899 108936 0 1788 498 08:38:25
      WLAN 11M/54M 24848 4695 0 155 23 08:38:13
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11836 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33 db 18 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 15 db

I have used routerstats-lite to monitor the noise margin; and noticed that it does vary quite alot at different periods of the day.
      However, i'm not sure if its good or bad, or if it did this in the past when i didnt have issues? It normally sits around 7-8, but at most times it does vary from 8 thru to 4 for a good few hours. Occassionally even dropping as low as 3 or 0 for one point; and then jumps back to 7-8.

I believe the times it does disconnect, the noise margin is at either 0 or negative i.e. some very high noise margin number.

I'm not sure what to do with all this? Looking for some advice.....

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

When the connection drops do you have any noise on your phone line? What you describe seems to be a bad joint somewhere on your line which occasionally causes the noise margin to fall, disconnecting your line. This type of fault is the worst kind to trace as it is not present all the time.

If you have not already done so, plug into your Test socket, link below and see if the problem still exists. This would help rule out internal problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I don't have a test socket.....its not your standard BT socket i'm afraid.
      I'm in the new build property and builder has used metal face plates on these phone sockets....so not your usual BT sockets.
      Hence no test socket there....

I haven't had to oppertunity of checking at the time of the drop......sometimes it drops when i'm not in....or late hours.....So can't confirm for sure? In general when its not dropped i havent heard of any noise or interference when using the phone.

I know this problem is a rite pain cos its intermitten.....i'd rather wish the thing wasnt working at all consistently......in which case we would track the problem more easily..

My noise margin basically goes up and down consistently thru the day.....pretty scary as to how low it gets some times....i.e. 2-4db... But still able to hold the connection fine.

At the moment the issue is with esculations team who have called me and have made some adjustments to my line? What these are i dont know.....so have asked me to monitor it over the course.....

I'm gonna try and switch it over to the main master socket for a period of time to see....

Thanks

It is difficult if you do not have a Test socket and when new builds are mentioned, I tend to think of Roy Rodgers. Contractors do not always use the best of materials or practises. The only way you can check is to disconnect the extensions in the Main socket, which should not be done unless you are confident you can put them back properly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is difficult if you do not have a Test socket and when new builds are mentioned, I tend to think of Roy Rodgers. Contractors do not always use the best of materials or practises. The only way you can check is to disconnect the extensions in the Main socket, which should not be done unless you are confident you can put them back properly.
      Nah your rite in that i don't feel confident taking it apart.....

But even when plugging into the master socket, i'm still getting a very varied noise margin.....plus its sync'd at a lower speed that before with the upstairs extension i.e. 9.3 rather than 11.5

Think i'm gonna switch it back to the extension and let it run from there for a remainder of the time until they phone me back at 4pm today.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyeung View Post
      Nah your rite in that i don't feel confident taking it apart.....

But even when plugging into the master socket, i'm still getting a very varied noise margin.....plus its sync'd at a lower speed that before with the upstairs extension i.e. 9.3 rather than 11.5

Think i'm gonna switch it back to the extension and let it run from there for a remainder of the time until they phone me back at 4pm today.

Just switch the router back to the original spot i.e. an extension upstairs.
      Its now synced at 11.8meg? Can't for the life of work out why i always get a better connection when connected to this socket rather than the master socket downstairs?

Its like i said before, i still get varied noise margins when connected to either sockets. However as we speak the noise margin is pretty stable at 7db now....
      but i'm sure this will change as time goes on...

Thanks

Can't for the life of work out why i always get a better connection when connected to this socket rather than the master socket downstairs?
      Are you sure it is not the Master socket? Unless the wiring has been done wrongly you should not get a better result, the same maybe, but not better. Take the faceplate off and see what is inside. If it is an extension there will be nothing but the wire terminals, if it is the master it will have a capacitor and other bits and pieces. It is possible you have an XNTE, so there may not actually be anything inside any of your sockets, bar terminals. I don't know a lot about these as they are a fairly new concept. Brian, the phone guru, will know what is what.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You say you have been in your home over three years? I dont think you have a XNTE as they have not been around that long, however if you are not sure, and your line arrives underground, then look for a grey box about the size of a paperback book on the wall outside.
      As Tom says, one of your sockets will be the master and you need to find it.
      Have a look where the line enters and check the socket nearest.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      You say you have been in your home over three years? I dont think you have a XNTE as they have not been around that long, however if you are not sure, and your line arrives underground, then look for a grey box about the size of a paperback book on the wall outside.
      As Tom says, one of your sockets will be the master and you need to find it.
      Have a look where the line enters and check the socket nearest.
      We've been at the property from new since 2004.
      But we've only been with Sky for just over 3 years.

I'm certain that the socket downstairs is the main master socket next to the main sat and tv point.
      I recall one of the contractors had opened this up before to sort out some extensions within the flat i.e. they were not working, so he did some stuff on that main socket.....looks like all the extensions are wired up directly to this main master socket. Thats what i recall back then.

Again, with regards to the speed i've not observed it ever getting better sync speeds than with the extension upstairs. As tested this afternoon, within the master socket it was only syncin at 9meg; but once i connected it up to the extensions upstairs i got 11.8meg.
      But could be just the noise level at that moment in time perhaps? As i'd assume that would affect the sync speed at the time?

However, my connection has dropped recently again....and hasnt been able to resync itself.
      After a reboot, its now syncin at 3.4meg.....still the same after a few more reboots.

Thanks

After a reboot, its now syncin at 3.4meg.....still the same after a few more reboots.
      There is a good chance Sky support have 'adjusted' your line by capping your speed. This is one of their favourite practises. What is your noise margin now?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast