Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

This is a discussion on Disconnects 'n Speed Issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Would it be possible for a you or a representitive of your landlord/ freeholder to be present and have acess ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

Would it be possible for a you or a representitive of your landlord/ freeholder to be present and have acess to the common parts of the block when the Openreach tech next visits? My thinking here is that the fault may be within your block, and if acess is possible the Openreach tech may be perpared to do a visual check on any distrubution panels there may be. I'm sure that this will turn out to be a simple fault in the end.

2. Advertisement
      hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Would it be possible for a you or a representitive of your landlord/ freeholder to be present and have acess to the common parts of the block when the Openreach tech next visits? My thinking here is that the fault may be within your block, and if acess is possible the Openreach tech may be perpared to do a visual check on any distrubution panels there may be. I'm sure that this will turn out to be a simple fault in the end.
      The factors of the property would need to be involved for access to common parts of the block. I'm not sure if arranging and coordinating different parties would be so easy to do with the time remaining? Plus, I can't see them being so accomodating at this stage, unless the engineer points out that he defintetly needs access based on his investigations; also, the visit is anytime between 13:00-17:00 this coming Monday. So its pretty short notice and i can't guarantee when the engineer would turn up.

However, i still totally agree that it would defintely help narrow the fault down if it could be arranged. I can't even call on Monday, as its a bank hoilday.....so i guess there's not much chance in it happen. If i did call i pretty sure they'll just shoot me down and tell me to arrange an agreed date and time if such access was required. Thats assuming the factors are fine to allow a third party come in and poke around with the equipment; as this is normally outsourced to a specific company? So it might be a no no?

I'll just have to wait and see how it goes really?
      At worst case, i do have a special key (that the builders sneakly gave me) that grants me access to some of the common area doors.
      I believe one of these doors does contain various junction boxes, t.v feeds etc.....pressume it may also contain phone feeds? but could be located elsewhere..?
      I probably won't go there, unless the engineer asks to have a "Visual" look only......as i'm not even supose to be there.
      Last edited by hyeung; 18-07-09 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks

When the Openreach tech gets there, grab the bull by the horns and offer to open up the cupboard so they can have a look, what have you got to loose?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      When the Openreach tech gets there, grab the bull by the horns and offer to open up the cupboard so they can have a look, what have you got to loose?
      Cheers Brian.
      I'll certainly mention it to the tech when he goes about his investigations
      Shall let you know the outcomes tommorrow...

wish me luck.

Exchange:
      Thanks

An update...
      Open tech guy arrived and did his usual tests - hawk etc...
      The next thing that was carried out was the D side changes.
      Luckily, i had the key to the common area where the distribution point was located.....as Brian had mentioned earily!

I originally thought in order to do the D side changes, it could be all done on the outside cabinet box. But it appears that we need to access the distribution point as well.
      Anyways, accessed the common door, and there was the distribution box. Intrestingly there was a message left by another engineer - warning about some pairs having split legs? Didnt mean much to me.....but he thought this might have been the problem!?
      So he moved me to another pair at the distribution box; following this he had to move me to a corresponding D side pair on the outside cabinet box.

So far, i'm still awaiting for a call by Sky to uncap me and so whatever relevant tests to see..
      In the meantime, i'm not sure if it has had any effect based on these changes. I have had routerstats running an hour or two, and i'm still getting to odd fluctuation in snr as before but nothing major....

But i supose time will tell if i get further drops....

Btw, whats your thoughts on thing about some pairs having split legs?

Will update after speaking to Sky at some point?

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have your stats changed after the work on the line?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thats more like it!!. Split pairs occure when you line pair is formed from one of each of a true pair (bear with me) A true pair is a twisted pair within a cable, a split pair uses one from each of two pairs. It has little effect on telephony, but has a much greater effect on broadband, the signal becoming prone to interferance.

Thanks

Like using orange/blue and blue white/ orange white, instead of blue/white blue and orange/white orange?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes, very well put. You may be thinking how such a error can occure, and bearing in mind this is just a block of flats with a few (prob less than 100 lines) so am I

Thanks

Colour blind engineer?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast