Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

This is a discussion on Disconnects 'n Speed Issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem. It started about 10 days ago, with random disconnections (green light goes orange) ...

Pogostickio is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Max - 16mb
      Thanks

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues. Really? Me too.

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem. It started about 10 days ago, with random disconnections (green light goes orange) and today I've noticed a drop in download speed. I used to get a solid 13mb but now it barely reaches 4mb.

I'm a pc enthusiast so I know what I'm doing with a computer. I'm good with pc's but not so hot on router problems, although I know how to test my connection. I have full access to my router settings. That reminds me, I'll post my router status down below. I play online games for long periods of time so this situation has become an issue. I live in a shared building (two storey block of flats.)

I have read all eight pages of this thread and I don't pass the 'wiggle' test. Previously I have had severe damp problems in the hallway where the master socket is situated. Ever since moving in (August 2008) I have had to use the hidden connector behind the face-plate. Three months ago the damp problem was solved and you wouldn't believe how bad it was. The landlord had to get his insurance company involved to hire the right people to fix the problem. And they did a great job too. Now I'm assuming that the master socket has been damaged by the damp atmosphere it had to suffer in. I've not yet dismantled and examined the master socket to make sure of this, but as mentioned the master socket does fail the wiggle test.

So to fix this problem, what options do I have? If I'm correct then the master socket needs replacing. So do I do it? Does the landlord? Do I call Sky and ask them to check the line? I'm definitely going to get Sky involved due to the possibility of a cap on the download speed. But common sense says my first step is to replace the master socket. But would you suggest any other courses of action? Is there something that I haven't thought of? I'll be buying a new master socket and replacement telephone extension cable to my router / phone tomorrow.

btw - I always connect via a blue ethernet cable. I never (have the need to) connect via wi-fi.

Another thing worth mentioning... For the past 4 months I had the Netgear slimline dark grey router situated on top of all my other electrical appliances. It was sat on top of my Sky (regular) box and I had some loose screws that I'd forgoten about on top of the Sky box, beneath the Netgear modem. The heat the Netgear gave off was immense, as I believe the poorly located loose screws were acting as an insulator to create heat. I have now resolved the heat issue by using the stand provided for the Netgear and the airflow around the casing is greatly improved. It now gives off virtually no heat at all. The reason I mention this is - would this cause any connection problems due to overheated circuitry? Could I have accidentally / permanently damaged the Netgear?

Any advice would be greatfully received. And my apologies if I should not be posting in this ongoing discussion. If the correct and polite procedure is to create a new thread then please advise.

Many thanks and have a nice day.

Rob

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1089 1105 0 284 297 00:24:43
      LAN 100M/Full 9179 9777 0 2086 929 00:42:29
      WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 18 db 10 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 15 db

weird isn't it. I just this second checked the connection status and it shows to be fully stable at a high speed. Sods law, eh. it works when i try to show you that it doesn't.

I was getting this... but while writing / editing this and trying the wiggle test I didn't put the phone cable connector all the way into the master socket so that it clicked into place. So that would provide further evidence of a problem with the master socket.

ignore the incorrect time stamp. Taken at 11.40pm UK time.
      Last edited by Pogostickio; 16-07-09 at 01:06 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

Yes replace the master socket first, check any joint boxes for damp. Replacement of the master socket is a job for Openreach, but if you are careful you can do this yourself. You may find that this still fails the waggle test, because of damage to the filter plug caused by the damp. A squirt of WD40 works wonders in this situation.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As Brian says, replace the master socket. You will find them on eBay or RunitDirect, one of our members stocks them - NTE5 BT Type Master Socket (NTE5A)

In saying that, there is a good chance that BT have been working on or near your line and caused a bit of disruption. An increase from 18 to 39 dbs in the attenuation seems a lot just to be down to the master socket. You might want to try removing the backplate from the master socket and remake the joints on the A-B terminals. They may be a bit corroded if the conditions were damp.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyeung View Post
      Got a callback from Sky today, and the results of the ETS tests were not good....no findings as such, despite my snr has been going banana's

I also recieved a new router replacement yesterday (netgear); after having it connected for a day, it turns out that i'm still having the same issues i.e. disconnected and large fluctuations in snr. So it would appear that my older router was still good afterall.

So it would seem Sky have done everything that they could possibly do i.e. (filterface plate change on mastersocket, E side swap, swap to a different card and port on Sky equipment at the exchange, new router swap)......so it all points the issue back to BT on their exchange or some form of line fault?

I'm now awaiting a further callback from Sky tommorrow regarding how we progress this further with BT. Possibily another engineer visit?

Anyways, i have 2 questions:

1) With regards to the new router (netgear), it would appear that the firmware is of an older version compared with my existing netgear router.
      i.e. Firmware Version V2.02.34; ADSL Firmware Version 6.02.01.00
      I am expecting the latest version of Firmware Version V2.02.44; ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66.

So question is how do i get this update without having to wait for an autoupdate via Sky? As it may never happen or it may just take ages before i get an update?
      Surely, i can download the official latest Sky firmware from somewhere?

2) After swaping to the new router, i notice that the upstream line attenuation has changed somewhat. It use to sit at 18db and it is now 8.5db?
      What's that all about, as i thought line attenuation shouldn't change at all?
      Line Attenuation 32 db 8.5 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 17 db

Thanks

Any ideas on the above questions?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

all an ETS does is run a line test 4 times in 24hrs...it doesn't take SNR into account at all - it's purely from BTs end...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Surely, i can download the official latest Sky firmware from somewhere?
      Apparently not. They were going to release it to the forum but changed their minds. If you leave it connected it will eventually update. Unlike the V1 update which made a big difference to the general stability, I don't think there was much improvement with the updated firmware for V2 routers which never had the stability problems of the V1 routers.

Different routers measure attenuation in different ways, in any case, as yours has lowered that should be good. Generally the lower the attenuation the better. If your downstream had increased dramatically, that would be something to worry about.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yes this does sound like a line fault is still present, I dont think the new router will acheive much but it has to be ruled out. It looks like another visit will be required, but wether Sky are prepaired to pay for one remains to be seen. I suspect speed capping may be their next move.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Callback from Sky, and a further visit has been arranged for Monday.
      Think they are now looking for the D side to be swapped; provided another one is available and is just a performant as the one i have.
      They've also requested that a REIN engineer get involved for further investigation.
      Not sure what else they could perhaps change or look into at this point??

I feel Sky are still on my side....as they've clearly seen my line being capable of achieving speeds of 15meg and held this for atleast 3 days solid......the only issue is my SNR is fluctuating at random times....so much that at times it can drop below negative causing disconnects across the day. If my line was not capable of achieving such speeds there would be no way for it to operate so long....That and i've been with Sky for over 3 years with no issues in the past (syncing at above 10meg). Its only since the last few weeks has this issue suddently cropped up.
      Sky have also claimed to have historical SNR data for my line....the graphs show when the issues started and they can clearly see my SNR is all over the place at times.

I guess if the ETS test does not take SNR into account, then i guess it explains why nothing came up on the tests.

For the modem, i guess i'll leave it on and hope it'll get updated at somepoint.
      Its like i said, the line attenuation for upstream has lowered from 18 to 8.5db...a good thing as you say. And also, the modem hasn't made a difference as such....as i've still experienced the odd disconnect along with crazy SNR changes.

Sky have informed me that my line now has been temporay capped to around 13meg in order to help things stablise until the Engineer visit on Monday.
      At that point, Sky will uncap things and see how things go after any changes by BT.

So far my stats are as follows, with the line being up for almost 14hrs now:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13403 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32 db 8.5 db
      Noise Margin 11 db 17 db

I'm kinda lost really with what else can be done.....other than the obvious D side changes. Not sure if there is any further than can be changes or avenues that have yet to be explored? So any input would be appreciated as i could raise this to Sky or the BT engineers?
      Ofcourse there's the REIN engineer....but not sure if there'll be any findings or if i'll get much from this area?

Thanks for everyones input thou....
      Will feedback any results after Monday visit. Hoping to get this sorted, as it's been dragging on soooo long....which i'm getting sick of it now

Thanks

I am a bit surprised that Sky seem to be pulling out all the stops to help you. Your downstream attenuation of 32dbs would normally support 12-14 Mb, which you are getting. Your noise margin indicates that you may get a bit more, but if your line has noise spikes causing a big difference in the noise on the line, you may need the extra margin.
      Lets hope that the REIN engineer can find a reason for the spikes and eliminate them.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am a bit surprised that Sky seem to be pulling out all the stops to help you. Your downstream attenuation of 32dbs would normally support 12-14 Mb, which you are getting. Your noise margin indicates that you may get a bit more, but if your line has noise spikes causing a big difference in the noise on the line, you may need the extra margin.
      Lets hope that the REIN engineer can find a reason for the spikes and eliminate them.
      Its only because they really messed up prior to all this.....that is i raised my incident and after a week nothing was progressed, dispite me chasing it up almost every day, with the usual promise of a callback etc.
      I recorded a log of every conversation and who i dealt with, what was promised etc. So after over a week of no progress they even closed my call without callback! And after several hours of waiting (20-30quid of phone calls) I esculated this a couple of senior managers of the dept with regards to the handling of this incident.....Since then, service has been alot better, as it should have been from day one.

But unforunately, the resolution of my line problem isnt an easy one to sort out due to the nature of it i.e. intermittent
      Hopefully it'll be resolved sooner than later, as i'm sick and tired of dealing with it.....just want it to go away.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast