Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

This is a discussion on Disconnects 'n Speed Issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Exchange tests, This is a line monitor setup to see if/when the fault puts in an apperance, this combined with ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

Exchange tests, This is a line monitor setup to see if/when the fault puts in an apperance, this combined with a new router, just to prove it is not playing up, should find the problem. I am supprised they are going that far, this early, and suspect you may not be the only one with problems on that exchange/cable/cab.

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Can i just ask what the D and E side are, from what was said earlier in the thread.

I had some work done to the line when the phone stopped working a few weeks ago and my noise margin went up, which meant i could get a faster connection speed, does that D and E thing have anything to do with it. My noise margin before was 9db and after the phone was fixed the noise margin was 12db.

Thanks

This D (distibution) and E (exchange) thing cause much confusion. It does not refer to two differant lines, but the same line depending on where you look at it.

Starting at your master socket, the line to the first cab (or pole if it is overhead) would be the D section, but the pair it connects to at the pole or cab would be the E section as they are on the exchange side. This carries on all the way to the exchange MDF (main distibution frame) where lines going out are D side and lines on the exchange side are E side.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      This D (distibution) and E (exchange) thing cause much confusion. It does not refer to two differant lines, but the same line depending on where you look at it.

Starting at your master socket, the line to the first cab (or pole if it is overhead) would be the D section, but the pair it connects to at the pole or cab would be the E section as they are on the exchange side. This carries on all the way to the exchange MDF (main distibution frame) where lines going out are D side and lines on the exchange side are E side.
      Thanks for that.

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Exchange tests, This is a line monitor setup to see if/when the fault puts in an apperance, this combined with a new router, just to prove it is not playing up, should find the problem. I am supprised they are going that far, this early, and suspect you may not be the only one with problems on that exchange/cable/cab.
      Not sure I'll have the new router before these ETS line tests go ahead?
      As they may be running now as we speak.
      Btw, why do u say they are going this far, this early?

Since then I've read up on the ETS tests....and looks like it's 6 test runs carried out 4hrs apart for the 24hr period. This would suggest they don't track your line continously for the 24hr period....so if I'm unlucky and the fault/drop occurs outside the time that the ETS test runs......then I'm screwed?
      Would it be fair to say so?

Thanks

yes thats about right, throuugh the tests can run continously. As I understand this now, you have the odd drop now and again. as Broadband is a "best effort" service (you get what your line can support) most ISPs would content themselves with capping your speed down to the point where the line was stable. This is what makes me think that there may be a group of problem lines at your exchange.

Exchange:
      Thanks

yes thats about right, throuugh the tests can run continously. As I understand this now, you have the odd drop now and again. as Broadband is a "best effort" service (you get what your line can support) most ISPs would content themselves with capping your speed down to the point where the line was stable. This is what makes me think that there may be a group of problem lines at your exchange.
      When you talk about problem lines at the exchange.....are you refering to the E side lines? As you may recall, they only switched my E side and left the D side alone....Are we saying that i need to be switched to another E side line? Or is it something else thats up on the exchange side?

Looking at my stats, the line dropped a few times over the course of today.
      I'm currently sitting at 10.3meg and the SNR has been fluctuating like crasy today......even now as we speak. Havent seen this much activity in the SNR since last week. Right now seems to shift between 7 and 4db every few seconds....?

Wonder if this is because of the ETS tests or the DLM thats causing any of this? Or is just my original SNR problem creeping back again

Btw, when i spoke to Sky today, they did suspect something about BT doing a "network uplift"? Not sure what this meant other than possibly some form of upgrades going on which may be effecting the line? Not sure why this would affect things?

Thanks

Forget E side, Forget D side, think line, yes it is very prob a problem with several lines you'ill just have to see how it goes. True E side lines are the pairs after the Main distribution frame. Dispite what you may hear about they give little trouble, so I think your problem lies eleswhere. No doubt Sky or Openreach will be back on to you after the test period. Dont worry about DLM, it can always be re-run at a later date once this problem is resolved.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Forget E side, Forget D side, think line, yes it is very prob a problem with several lines you'ill just have to see how it goes. True E side lines are the pairs after the Main distribution frame. Dispite what you may hear about they give little trouble, so I think your problem lies eleswhere. No doubt Sky or Openreach will be back on to you after the test period. Dont worry about DLM, it can always be re-run at a later date once this problem is resolved.
      Cheers Brian.
      Yeah i'll be getting a callback tommorrow from Sky. Would hope they'll be some findings? I'll keep you inform when i hear...

Must say, this whole broadband business has been an nightmare! We wait and see how it goes...

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Got a callback from Sky today, and the results of the ETS tests were not good....no findings as such, despite my snr has been going banana's

I also recieved a new router replacement yesterday (netgear); after having it connected for a day, it turns out that i'm still having the same issues i.e. disconnected and large fluctuations in snr. So it would appear that my older router was still good afterall.

So it would seem Sky have done everything that they could possibly do i.e. (filterface plate change on mastersocket, E side swap, swap to a different card and port on Sky equipment at the exchange, new router swap)......so it all points the issue back to BT on their exchange or some form of line fault?

I'm now awaiting a further callback from Sky tommorrow regarding how we progress this further with BT. Possibily another engineer visit?

Anyways, i have 2 questions:

1) With regards to the new router (netgear), it would appear that the firmware is of an older version compared with my existing netgear router.
      i.e. Firmware Version V2.02.34; ADSL Firmware Version 6.02.01.00
      I am expecting the latest version of Firmware Version V2.02.44; ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66.

So question is how do i get this update without having to wait for an autoupdate via Sky? As it may never happen or it may just take ages before i get an update?
      Surely, i can download the official latest Sky firmware from somewhere?

2) After swaping to the new router, i notice that the upstream line attenuation has changed somewhat. It use to sit at 18db and it is now 8.5db?
      What's that all about, as i thought line attenuation shouldn't change at all?
      Line Attenuation 32 db 8.5 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 17 db

Thanks

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast