Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

This is a discussion on Disconnects 'n Speed Issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am assuming that the first visit from Openreach would have sorted any internal wiring problems, however Openreach are only ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

I am assuming that the first visit from Openreach would have sorted any internal wiring problems, however Openreach are only really interested in your BB performance at the test socket (using this all your internal wiring is disconnected) as extensions connected to the faceplate of a NTE-5 master are you concern, as you can wire these yourself, but you said that the guy on the first visit did look at these, so I assume they are o.k.
      It is far too early to consider REIN (rept elect impluse noise) This sort of investagation takes place after all other causes have been eliminated. it is long and protracted and often if the problem cannot be resolved within the customers home ( poor central heating thermostats and power shower pumps are a prime cause) there is little that can be done. REIN investagations often involve a lot of BB customers within an area, who all suffer the same problem.
      The first thing to do is to have your line, from the test socket to the exchange, checked for faults.

2. Advertisement
      hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I am assuming that the first visit from Openreach would have sorted any internal wiring problems, however Openreach are only really interested in your BB performance at the test socket (using this all your internal wiring is disconnected) as extensions connected to the faceplate of a NTE-5 master are you concern, as you can wire these yourself, but you said that the guy on the first visit did look at these, so I assume they are o.k.
      It is far too early to consider REIN (rept elect impluse noise) This sort of investagation takes place after all other causes have been eliminated. it is long and protracted and often if the problem cannot be resolved within the customers home ( poor central heating thermostats and power shower pumps are a prime cause) there is little that can be done. REIN investagations often involve a lot of BB customers within an area, who all suffer the same problem.
      The first thing to do is to have your line, from the test socket to the exchange, checked for faults.
      Yeah your rite, the first chap did look at one of the extensions (one that i mainly use). He tested this extension as well as the master socket downstairs.
      All seem to be fine at the time (no errors / issues). However, afterwards i have carried out some tests (point 3) which would suggest there's still an issue such that it may be intermittent....hence he wasnt able to detect it at the time?

Thanks

When the Openreach eng arrives, do stress that the problem is intermittant, and that the first visit involved fitting the new master socket, There main concern is to get good BB performance at the test socket, do get them to check that all extension sockets have no dial tone when the test socket is exposed ( they should do this) If they offer a filter faceplate, accept it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

When the Openreach eng arrives, do stress that the problem is intermittant, and that the first visit involved fitting the new master socket, There main concern is to get good BB performance at the test socket, do get them to check that all extension sockets have no dial tone when the test socket is exposed ( they should do this) If they offer a filter faceplate, accept it.
      The first engineer did not check all extensions.
      Btw, if i get a prefiltered faceplate on the master. I'd assume this will have a socket for ADSL, and one for the phone; hence no need for microfilters at the master.
      My question is how does it impact all the remaining extensions wired up to this master. Will all these still require a microfilter if i decide to plug in either a phone or a modem?

I did read somewhere, that the modem must be connected only to the master for a prefiltered face plate? Or did i misunderstand?
      I would want to use the modem/router upstairs on an extension....as thats where all my main equipment is located i.e. NAS, PC, Hubs etc....

Thanks

Yes if you have a filter faceplate fitted it will provide a socket for the router, you will not require micro filters, and you will only be able to connect the router there (this is not strictly true as you can run a dedicated ADSL extension from them) you could move your router to the master socket, and then use a wired connection to the PC would that be possible?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes if you have a filter faceplate fitted it will provide a socket for the router, you will not require micro filters, and you will only be able to connect the router there (this is not strictly true as you can run a dedicated ADSL extension from them) you could move your router to the master socket, and then use a wired connection to the PC would that be possible?
      So what's involved in running a ADSL extension from the master?
      Do you need to just replace the existing extension socket? Or is there more involved?

I agree with the wired ethernet connection.....but its a fair bit of hassle hiding the cable. The other possible option was to use power ethernet adaptors to channel the signals back up. I've heard reasonable success this way....without the need of messing with wires.

But as i've already got an extension wired up.....why not use it. But i'm not sure as what is required and how difficult it would be? When it comes to wiring stuff like so, i'm not confident as i wouldn't know where to start.

As mentioned in my previous posts, i did try the "test" socket this morning and i was pleasantly surprised that i could get almost 15meg from my line!
      But once i connect the face plate back up, the master socket only gives about 9meg, while the other extensions (3 in total) give 10-11meg.
      But from what've noticed, all extensions and master socket seem to give bad noise fluctuations at certain times (so much that drops are a result). However, i'm not sure if the "test" socket would behave differently in that its isolated all the extensions.
      It maybe this "test" socket will give stable noise margins.....?
      So am i rite to think that a prefiltered faceplate would definitely give me better results with what i know? i.e. possibley filtering out these noise issues as experienced?

Thanks

If you want to run an ADSL extension from a filter faceplate it is best to run a new cable and not use any exsiting cable.
      (1) You will then know you are using decent cable (BT CW1308 is good for this)

(2) You can retain the exsisting socket for phone use.

The best way however, is to relocate the router and use cable or Homeplugs. Do not use wireless as it is too unreliable.

A filter faceplate will give the same results as using the test socket (this assumes that your existing internal wiring is correct, and that all extension sockets are wired from the master and are dead when using the test socket) .

However a filter faceplate will not fix a line problem, so you must let Openreach check for and repair this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you want to run an ADSL extension from a filter faceplate it is best to run a new cable and not use any exsiting cable.
      (1) You will then know you are using decent cable (BT CW1308 is good for this)

(2) You can retain the exsisting socket for phone use.

The best way however, is to relocate the router and use cable or Homeplugs. Do not use wireless as it is too unreliable.

A filter faceplate will give the same results as using the test socket (this assumes that your existing internal wiring is correct, and that all extension sockets are wired from the master and are dead when using the test socket) .

However a filter faceplate will not fix a line problem, so you must let Openreach check for and repair this.
      Thanks for that.
      Provided that the engineer refits a filtered face plate, i'll then tend towards the relocation of router with the use of powerline homeplugs; atleast this way there no need to mess around with laying a new cable across the rooms.
      Plus i know someone thats used the homeplugs with good results.

I did some further tests this evening using the "test socket" for a good few hours....and confirm some interesting findings.

1) All extensions are dead when using the "test socket".....however can't be sure of existing wiring is correct?

2) It looks like if i use a filtered faceplate i'll should get much better results; as i've noticed 14 to 14.9meg when connected via the "test socket".

3) i've confirmed i'm still getting similar symptoms of large fluctuations in noise and eventual disconnects when using the "test socket" alone i.e.similar to the extensions. This i can only pressume is a possible line fault....but in an intermit way, as there are times when it looks stable and good.

I've attached a snapshot of the noise margins from routerstats....
      i) I was synced at 14meg for almost 2 hours at which point my SNR dropped dramatically at 20:46 (7db to 0db) and disconnected.

ii) Thereafter i resynced at 9meg at 20:52, and would not sync any faster after a further reboot of the router.

iii) From this point onwards, you can see a varied snr all the way through....which is what i uaually get at certain time throught out the day. However, there are points when the snr is stable for periods of time.
      And around 22:33, the snr shoots up and stables at 13db

iv) I did a further reboot around 01:00 (not shown in graphs), and it resynced at 14.8meg and the snr goes back to 7db and is now stable all the way.

So i guess a summary is that the symptoms i've had are not just related to the extensions.....it's also the "test socket" and hence a possible line fault after all?

Would you agree based on what i've shown here?

As i'd be inclined to mentioned and show this to the engineer tommorrow when they come back for further tests. I guess pushing for a filterplate would be do me good based on the percieved speed increased observered via the test socket i.e. 14+meg
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-noisemargin-2009jul03-2057.jpg   Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-noisemargin-2009jul03-2119.jpg   Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-noisemargin-2009jul03-2141.jpg   Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-noisemargin-2009jul03-2202.jpg   Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-noisemargin-2009jul03-2243.jpg  

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update...

Engineer replaced my master socket with a filtered faceplate.....this helped by giving me a solid 14meg connection! (from 10-11meg before)

However, as i was still getting issues when connecting to the main test socket....i was swapped over to another E side line within the cabinet and exchange.

The results of the line swap were pretty remarkable. Giving me a slightly higher sync speed and noise margin than before.
      Now synced at 15.3meg with a down noise of 9db (from 7db).

Its been stable with no disconnects from Saturday....

System Up Time: 61:49:27

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 12828736 15829064 0 14346 7424 61:48:35
      LAN 100M/Full 170439 0 0 70 0 61:49:22
      WLAN 11M/54M 16386035 13587476 0 9452 14751 61:49:10
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33 db 18 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 16 db