Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

This is a discussion on Disconnects 'n Speed Issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The wire connected to terminal "3" on the master should be coloured orange with white rings, it is the ring ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

The wire connected to terminal "3" on the master should be coloured orange with white rings, it is the ring line and it causes interferance problems with broadband. As long as you phone, router and sky box are connected using a filter, then you do not need the ring line and you can disconnect form terminal "3" on the master socket.

2. Advertisement
      hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      The wire connected to terminal "3" on the master should be coloured orange with white rings, it is the ring line and it causes interferance problems with broadband. As long as you phone, router and sky box are connected using a filter, then you do not need the ring line and you can disconnect form terminal "3" on the master socket.
      Ah in that case i can confirm that these are not connected i.e. ring wire
      I recall that the onsite electrician did this when sorting out other extensions in the flat at the time. I did notice that this did help with the stats some what....

Thanks

The next step is to disconnect any unused extensions, the ideal set-up would be to just have your incomming line connected to the master socket. If you do this, and your noise margin increases when you resync, you could then get back on to Sky and see if they will lift the capp a bit to increase your speed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The next step is to disconnect any unused extensions, the ideal set-up would be to just have your incomming line connected to the master socket. If you do this, and your noise margin increases when you resync, you could then get back on to Sky and see if they will lift the capp a bit to increase your speed.
      Due to the issues i've have a BT engineer has been arranged for tommorrow via Sky. Not sure exactly what to expect.....but i'm guessing he'll potenitally check out the master sockets / wiring, cabinet box, exchange...etc?

Any ideas on this? Or specific areas that would be worth mentioning to the engineer?

Also, it would seem that Sky have set a target SNR margin of 12db for me. So this has stabled the line; but at a cost of lower sync speeds now.
      On average i can only sync around 8-9meg.....as before the changes, i could sync at 10-11.8meg.

Thanks

Ah good, point out to the Openreach tech that you do not have a NTE-5 master, with any luck they will fit one for you and a filter faceplate. This will provide you with a connection for the router as well as isolating any interferance to your BB from the internal wiring.
      You could then get back to Sky to lift the speed capp. A nice cold soft drink can work wonders with Openreach in this hot weather.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah good, point out to the Openreach tech that you do not have a NTE-5 master, with any luck they will fit one for you and a filter faceplate. This will provide you with a connection for the router as well as isolating any interferance to your BB from the internal wiring.
      You could then get back to Sky to lift the speed capp. A nice cold soft drink can work wonders with Openreach in this hot weather.
      Ok i've just finished speaking with Sky on my settings.
      The agent has recommended that my settings are set back to the defaults in preparation for the engineer tommorrow i.e. the target SNR back to 6/7db default; pulse noise to 1 symbol; delay to 32 etc

The main issue for investigation is the flucuations in the SNR.....Now whilist on the subject i had mentioned to Sky that i have noticed that all my extensions in the flat always get a better sync speed in comparision to the main master socket. He was obviously surprised and we tested each of the sockets to while he was on the line......
      My extensions sockets are getting between 10-11meg, where as the main master socket is only achieving 8-9meg!?

How can that be? I did say that it has always been the case from day one when we moved in. I am first owners of the property......
      The Sky agent simply asked me to show the engineer; in hope that he'll look into this? Again, we're not sure if this is related to the issues i've only recently had in the last 2 weeks.....remember that i've not had problems in over 3 years.
      Always syncin at ~10meg; but always using the extension socket thou...

The Sky agent was curious if main master socket really is in fact the master socket? But i did confirm to him that all the other extensions are wired into this single socket.....as i saw this with my own eyes when the site contractors wired this up due to the extensions not working when we moved in.

Firstly, what's yours thoughts on all this?
      Secondly, is the engineer likely to fit a new NTE-5 master socket with a filter faceplate?
      Thirdly, if he does, will he sort out the extensions i.e. connect em up? cos i understand he is only required to sort the master and nothing else?

Again, any advice on this would be appreciated.....as the engineer has been scheduled for tommorrow. And i've been told he's only got 2hours allocated....so there is so much he could do.

Many thanks

Thanks

This sounds like you have been booked a broadband health check, that is a general check on line conditions rather than a visit to deal with any specific problems, so to get the best from this, point the Openreach guy in the right direction, ask for a proper master to be fitted, along with a filter faceplate. The master needs to be fitted where the line enters your home. He/she may sort your extensions out as well, through this does not sound like the job they have been booked for, but do ask and try to get as much value out of the visit as possible.

Exchange:
      Thanks

This sounds like you have been booked a broadband health check, that is a general check on line conditions rather than a visit to deal with any specific problems, so to get the best from this, point the Openreach guy in the right direction, ask for a proper master to be fitted, along with a filter faceplate. The master needs to be fitted where the line enters your home. He/she may sort your extensions out as well, through this does not sound like the job they have been booked for, but do ask and try to get as much value out of the visit as possible.
      Yeah i think thats what its been booked in fo....a health check and the specific checks would be he snr changes...
      I'll certainly ask about a proper nte5 master socket.....and i'll probably show 'em the differences in sync speed between the extensions and the master socket i.e. faster on the extension
      Hopefully this would help point him in the direction of checking how the wiring has been done. And maybe thats the point i'll ask about the NTE5 socket and having it fitted?

Will let you how it goes.....hopefully i'll get a helpful engineer rather than one that's very strict and by the book.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyeung View Post
      Yeah i think thats what its been booked in fo....a health check and the specific checks would be he snr changes...
      I'll certainly ask about a proper nte5 master socket.....and i'll probably show 'em the differences in sync speed between the extensions and the master socket i.e. faster on the extension
      Hopefully this would help point him in the direction of checking how the wiring has been done. And maybe thats the point i'll ask about the NTE5 socket and having it fitted?

Will let you how it goes.....hopefully i'll get a helpful engineer rather than one that's very strict and by the book.

Got a new NTE5 socket fitted today replacing the existing chrome-plated socket.
      However, i have to say that i'm no further forward!?

I got the impression that the engineer wasn't so intrested in my observations i.e. different speeds when connecting to master socket and extensions, the large flucuations in SNR which potentially is the route cause for my intermitten disconnects.

My line was sync'd at 11.5meg from 6am thru to 1pm today. From 1pm it dropped its connection due to large decreases in SNR.
      Thereafter, i did continual reboots of the router in order to establish the original speed. But no matter how many times i rebooted, it was only showing between 1-3meg.

In comes the engineer about 4pm....explain the wierd symptoms i.e. syncin low speeds after a disconnect. He hooks up the voyager modem and does his tests.....only sync at around 3 meg as well.....with lots of errors. He then decides to fit and rewire my master socket with a NTE5.
      Hooks up the remaining extensions....and retests using his voyager modem.
      He confirmed 7meg on the master socket and the same on the usual extension that i use. However, he had to remove one of the extensions as he claims it was having an impact on speed when using the usual extension socket for my equipment....I agreed fine....

I still queried about the SNR changes....as i was experiencing large changes by 5-7db at times....never got much of a response other than it being stable at 7db at the time. So i think he was convienced that the master socket changes would have resolved the issues, and also being that he was achieving max speed with his modem equipment. So he informed me there was no need to look into the cabinet/exchange any further...

At this point he was obviously in a rush for his next and final job.
      I hook up my router and synced at 11-12 meg......SNR was stable at 7db, but the upstream was reduced from 15 to 13 after the changes he did.

I tried the other sockets i.e. master and other extensions.....And confirm that still the master socket is syncin at a lower speed compared to the other extensions i.e. 10-11 compared with 8-9meg.
      At this point i also noticed that the SNR was back to it usual.....large flucuations again! Anyways, reconnected the modem to my usual extension socket....and it syncs at 12meg! with a stable SNR of 7. About half an hour later, the SNR starts changing again (large shifts) and eventually drops the connection as it approaches 0/negative.

Reboot the modem and guess what....i'm synced back at 1-3meg!!!!!!
      So in summary, although the engineer fitted a new socket and rewired everything....i'm one extension down, upstream SNR is down from 15 to 12 and i'm still experiencing the same issues as before?

Still can't explain why the master socket is slower in comparision to the extensions? But the main issue is the large changes in SNR.....

Sky was back on the phone and there're arranging another callout for BT.....hopefully they can look at the cabinet this time. Something about switch the E or D side?

Any ideas or suggestions on what other things we could get BT to check?

Thanks

Now the next visit will be for a specific problem (your SNRM changes). A D/E side swap concerns your line back to the exchange, and changing the line pair which form it. Unable to explain why your master (did he fit a filter faceplate,or offer to?) should have a worse performance.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast