Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

This is a discussion on Disconnects 'n Speed Issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Update....and looking for advice? Its unforunate that after several weeks later that i'm no further forward in this matter....simply from ...

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

Update....and looking for advice?

Its unforunate that after several weeks later that i'm no further forward in this matter....simply from the fact that the issue is now more intermittent, which now no longer occurs on a daily basis; and that the times are also more varied after the REIN engineer was involved.

In addition, it hasnt helped that the BT engineer has not been much help in tracking this issue. As i see, he's only been out once for a few hours (on the day i initally met him).....thereafter he's supplied me his contact number and asked me to call him when the problem occurs and he'll arrange to come out if possible. After several calls to him, particularly when the problems occurs, he hasnt made any effort to come out; instead i've been told various excuses with many other jobs on the go. However, what cracks me is everytime i speak to him, he alway gives me the impression that he's still very keen in resolving this and continues to keep things going.

When the problem occurs, we appear to have atleast a 2hour window before the REIN stops again. So if only they could come out before then we would have this problem cracked.

Anyways when i last spoke to him, he's now suggested that we also get OFCOM involved as he knows some of the engineers and believes they will have the time to sit and wait for the fault to appear.
      He has requested that i raise a complaint via the OFCOM website and he'll do the rest. When i asked does this mean that BT will no longer be involved, he replied that he'll still be involved in the case, but with the assistance of OFCOM.

I'm just looking to get some advice and what folk think....as it all sounds abit dodgy to me. My concerns are that once OFCOM get involved, would it not mean that the case is out of BTs hands, and consequently the same for SKY.
      Effectively, my case will be closed. Again, i wouldnt be sure if OFCOM would wash their hands of this after a visit or two without finding anything.

So i'm unsure if the engineer is trying to pull a fast one or genuinely trying to help? What do you reckon?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

With OFCOM involved it does not take the issue out of the hands of BT etc, OFCOM stamp their foot down and wag their finger at them until they fix it. It's basically an escalation with a big stick.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like the engineer is having his hands tied and wants someone(Ofcom) to untie them. BTO probably think they have spent enough trying to resolve the issue and have more or less told him to fob you off. It does not look like he agrees with their attitude, but can do little about it himself.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Do you reckon i should esculate this with Sky? As i'm not sure if they can esculate a complaint and put pressure for more time to be spent on this?

The assigned REIN engineer seems like an alrite chap, but unforunately keeps fobbing me off when i call to let 'em know that the REIN issue has occurred.
      I've only got this impression because i've called so many times over the past few weeks....and everytime is the same answer.

He did say that if i raise a complaint via OFCOM, there could be a 50quid charge, but says he'll take care of that?

Do you reckon it would cause more problems if i was get Sky to complaint? Or would you think i'd be best to just do what he suggests and go the OFCOM route?

My only worry is how patient OFCOM would be in pursuing this intermitten problem....as they are literally the last point of call. I'm expecting BT and SKY will no longer want to get involved at this point.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like the engineer is having his hands tied and wants someone(Ofcom) to untie them. BTO probably think they have spent enough trying to resolve the issue and have more or less told him to fob you off. It does not look like he agrees with their attitude, but can do little about it himself.

Been there, done that, problem at the time was a defective thermostat, had testicles chewed by boss!! but was promoted the next month

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm not exactly sure of your advice.

Are you saying i should go ahead and do as REIN engineer suggests, as he appears to be helping? Or what?

Or are you just saying that he could get into trouble for assisting in this manner?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you saying i should go ahead and do as REIN engineer suggests, as he appears to be helping?
      I would say yes. The way you have been messed around you have nothing to loose.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yes do involve Ofcom, this has gone on long enough. Once that happens the gloves are off. First Openreach will start again, going from your master, to the exchange, while the rein tech does there checks. Its a shame you should have to go to such lenghts to resolve what I think may still turn out to be a simple problem.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Arrow Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Yes do involve Ofcom, this has gone on long enough. Once that happens the gloves are off. First Openreach will start again, going from your master, to the exchange, while the rein tech does there checks. Its a shame you should have to go to such lenghts to resolve what I think may still turn out to be a simple problem.
      Brian/IsItMe,
      Thanks for your feedback!

I recieved the following email from the REIN engineer last night:
      Hi Hung

Contacted ofcom tonight. Please go to ofcom website and register a complaint of interference on am radio stations and broadband stating that interference is intermittent but you have evidence of cut off times. State BT openreach have been dealing and quote my name . I will deal from then on.

Thanks

Gordon
      I looked into the Ofcom option as you both suggested and i believe its the first option (domestic TV/Radio) in the following link to initate the process (Please correct me if this is wrong?) Problems with sound quality - buzzing, crackling etc. | Ofcom

With regards to the REIN engineers email, i have one major concern for which i do not have any issue with radio station interference as such (not that i know of); as its mainly been broadband only. I don't want to lie or confuse the matter. The REIN engineer is obviously asking me to say otherwise?
      Any ideas on this one......

I called the Ofcom advisory team today for some general enquiries and it turns out that for broadband its regarded as Commercial (2nd option in the link) and NOT domestic. This means a charge of 57+VAT PER HOUR!
      Whilist domestic (1st option in the link), its a flat fee charge of 50+VAT if it comes to the worst and they can't find anything or give in.

I am guessing that this is the reason why the REIN engineer has asked me to mention radio station interference?

Just looking to get some advice on this one. As what am i supose say if i'm asked about what radio stations are getting affected....
      Many thanks guys...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyeung View Post
      Brian/IsItMe,
      Thanks for your feedback!

I recieved the following email from the REIN engineer last night:
      Hi Hung

Contacted ofcom tonight. Please go to ofcom website and register a complaint of interference on am radio stations and broadband stating that interference is intermittent but you have evidence of cut off times. State BT openreach have been dealing and quote my name . I will deal from then on.

Thanks

Gordon
      I looked into the Ofcom option as you both suggested and i believe its the first option (domestic TV/Radio) in the following link to initate the process (Please correct me if this is wrong?) Problems with sound quality - buzzing, crackling etc. | Ofcom

With regards to the REIN engineers email, i have one major concern for which i do not have any issue with radio station interference as such (not that i know of); as its mainly been broadband only. I don't want to lie or confuse the matter. The REIN engineer is obviously asking me to say otherwise?
      Any ideas on this one......

I called the Ofcom advisory team today for some general enquiries and it turns out that for broadband its regarded as Commercial (2nd option in the link) and NOT domestic. This means a charge of 57+VAT PER HOUR!
      Whilist domestic (1st option in the link), its a flat fee charge of 50+VAT if it comes to the worst and they can't find anything or give in.

I am guessing that this is the reason why the REIN engineer has asked me to mention radio station interference?

Just looking to get some advice on this one. As what am i supose say if i'm asked about what radio stations are getting affected....
      Many thanks guys...
      Guys,
      Any thoughts on this one?

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast