Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

This is a discussion on Disconnects 'n Speed Issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; At the moment there is no universal service obgilation (USO) for broadband unlike telephone where Openreach have to provide a ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

At the moment there is no universal service obgilation (USO) for broadband unlike telephone where Openreach have to provide a line, but it does not have to support broadband. It is proposed to have a USO for broadband of 2 meg/sec minimum, but as things stand if the line will not support broadband, then the ISPs do not have to supply it.
      Now your line has a fault and Im sure Sky will wish to retain your custom and will look again at what can be done but there must come a point where this becomes financially unworkable

2. Advertisement
      hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

They've now capped me once again and have not bother to call me back to inform me of their actions.

Based on the stats collated (graphs) via routerstats, i now see an intresting pattern. It would appear that i get these sudden SNR drops quite frequently during the afternoons i.e. between 13:00 - 16:00.
      There is no exact time....but somewhere between this range it tends to occur.
      And there's also a similar pattern during the evenings between 19:00 - 23:00.

I got the power adaptor for the UPS today....So i'll be able to try this out. I'm not really hoping for much?

I figure i'll need to raise the mark and try getting some further action another way...I am in the process of writing a letter detailing this case to its entirety; and would like to know who and where this would be best address to?
      Email addresses 'n contacts would be good; plus any postal address would be good.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've been testing the UPS on the router, and unfortunately its made no difference.

The line continues show a massive drop in SNR (14db - negative) at times.
      I've been capped to 10Meg recently, and noticed that the massive drops do not appear to kill the connection; as it holds on to the connection at SNRs of negative for a slight moment and at zero.....

However, one new side effect of the recent capping is that after the massive drop, the SNR slowly creeps back up half way i.e. fluctuates between 7db-2db
      and stays like this for exactly 2 hours. During this time all web browser is unusable. I've tried speedtests and they either come back with 100kbps or can't even perform the test. Whlists browsering a simple web page can take a minute or not even work.
      After the 2 hour of fluctuations.....the SNR then suddenly jumps back to its usual value of 13-14db and stays flatline stable. All is returned to normal at this point.

Firstly, any ideas why i'd experience this massive slow down? At times the SNR is around the heathly mark of 7db, yet i continue to see this?
      I'm sure a reboot would fix things, as it would resync to a lower speed as i would expect.

Secondly, would a HAWK test provide any insight or cause of this issue during this fluctuation period as i've described above?
      Can you plug in such equipment without interrupting the existing connection i hold. I say this, because as soon as i resync, all would probably be fine apart from resyncin at a lower speed.
      Sky have requested further HAWK tests on the line during the most likely periods of issue. This has been around afternoon 13:00-16:00....however it has varied recently
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-noisemargin-2009aug10-1746.jpg   Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-noisemargin-2009aug10-1828.jpg   Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-noisemargin-2009aug10-1931.jpg   Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-noisemargin-2009aug10-1952.jpg  

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok update.
      Another BT visit yesterday and the engineer was no help at detecting the issue.
      The SNR drop occurred at the time as predicted around 13:00.
      He didnt come out till 15:00.....but the SNR was already screwed up and pretty low i.e. 7db-2db.

Unfortunately, his tests all turn out fine.....but after showing him the graphs and describing the issue. He agreed that there was an issue somewhere, but not the actual line. I suggested to him if he thought it would be a REIN issue. He agreed that its a good possibility and agreed that he would put that down on his notes to Sky.

A full D / E side swap was done again for the sake of it. But looks like the problem of my massive SNR drop and connection dropout occurred again (at 01:49AM)? And also occurred again today at 13:59. So looks like things not cured

I was more inclined it be a REIN issue with new residents at the new development across from us. But with the issue occurring at 01:49.....i was less convinced? Not sure what to think.

I'll be speaking to Sky tommorrow with an expected callback. But the concern if what they'll do next. I have the feeling its going to be a bit of a fight......even thou the BT engineer suggested a good possibility of REIN.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Spoke to Sky on Friday and their response has been very unwilling to do anymore. Dispite this, that my connection is constantly dropping twice a day..... i'm still aiming for a REIN investigation based on the recommendations from BTO; and based on the collated data and pattern of the fault.

I was put thru to a manager who will speak to the BT Escalation team leads and will find out outcome on Monday. He was willing for me to pass on my collated data.
      At the sametime, i have now progressed a form letter of complaint to the customer relations department detailing the complete history of this case. And have also written to the CEO with regarding this, attaching the same letter.

I think all i can do is wait and see how things go? But its simply annoying to be told thats it.....despite my connection being fine for all the years i have been with Sky. Any other advice on this would be appreciated.

In the past 2 days, i've been running routerstats 5.6a....to view the bit tones.
      It would seem that theres an affect on the SNR across the whole range of bit tones. A sample of the bit tones before the SNR drop, during the SNR drop and after the SNR drop due to a resync to lower speed.

Also had the radio on MW during this espisode....and the noise went from a quiet buzz to a very loud constant buzz.....I wasnt able to track it down as the same loud buzz is pratically everywhere in the flat?
      Even went outside down the common block and out on the street....same loud buzz? So can't really tell where its coming from....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-bits_-_attenuation_-db_x10-2009aug16-1416.jpg   Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-bits_-_attenuation_-db_x10-2009aug16-1436.jpg   Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?-bits_-_attenuation_-db_x10-2009aug16-1355.jpg  

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

That looks really weird. I don't know how to read those graphs but your snr is going crazy thats for sure.

Looks like your attenuation is jumping too (If I'm reading the graph correctly). Watever it is appears to cause extra resistance.

Exchange:
      Thanks

News back from Sky the other day. Looks like they've agreed to take things further as based on my evidence collated to date i.e. SNR graphs, Bit tone graphs and the radio testing i've done. Looks like the interference is affecting the whole street from one side of the building to the other....according to the buzzing noise that i've noticed on the radio.

They are now making arrangements with BT for the REIN dept.

I'm not entirely sure how you read the bit tone graphs. But i would appear that the SNR drops off for a large number of the bit tones in my ADSL2+ signal....seems alot of bit swapping occurs thereafter (with the dots) and eventually it has to renegoiate a lower speed to maintain things.

So I'm guessing with these interferences, no one in the street would be able to achieve a good ADSL2+ signal.

Pogostickio is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Max - 16mb
      Thanks

Update -

My landlord replaced the master socket and my problems are solved. I've got a lot of line noise when i use my phone and when my phone rings my internet cuts out (the green light disappears and blinks orange to re-connect), but other than that I'm stable.

Rob

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I've got a lot of line noise when i use my phone
      Do you get noise on the line in the Test socket? If you do it indicates an external line fault and should be fixed by the phone rental provider. If the line is clear in the Test socket, it indicates an internal fault either with faulty filters or in the wiring itself.

@hyeung
      Any progress with your problem?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update....

The good news is that the case has been assigned to a REIN engineer; at which the engineer has been out once for a few hours. Unfortunately the issue did not occur The engineer has asked me to phone him when the problem occurs, and if he's available he would come out.

Based on historical records of my SNR and drops, the issue occurs every day, anytime between 15:00 and 22:00.
      However, what's extremely annoying as of the last 2 weeks, the occurrance of this issue has now changed! It no longer occurs every day; the last time it occured was last Thursday.

I'm now wondering if the users are away, using the equipment less often or simply replaced the electrical item?
      Its taken me so much time and effort to get to the stage of having a REIN engineer, and now the profile of the fault has now changed! Typical i know!

I've got routerstats running as normal, and alarms set to trigger an email when the issue occurs. Worrying thing is how long the engineer is prepared to keep the case going if problem doesnt happen?
      I guess it'll be more annoying if the problem still occurs from time to time i.e. in between a few days.....which would make it a very nasty problem to identify.

Other than this, i'm no further

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast