Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

This is a discussion on Disconnects 'n Speed Issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by hyeung Hi, My SNR drops are still occurring....last one was yesterday evening around 19:00, with a immediate ...

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by hyeung View Post
      Hi,

My SNR drops are still occurring....last one was yesterday evening around 19:00, with a immediate drop in SNR from 11db to negative; reboot resync'd at 7-8meg with constant fluctuations betwen 7db to 4db. From about 22:00 the SNR started to stablise again, and it immediately shot back up to the usual 11db. Thereafter, the SNR is rock solid stable i.e. flatlined at 11db.

After the drop, I did a quiet line test (corded phone) via the test socket....and no crackling noises. So line appears fine. I also spoken with a few neighbours and confirmed that they did not switch any specific devices during the time of drop.
      Plus they've not had any issues with drop's on their broadband.

And with the radio tuned around 600Khz MW.....i did not hear anything odd in comparision to when the connection is fine.

Ruling out the neighbours in the block and hence, any sort of nearby REIN in my flat.....I can only assume the issue is external from the property?

As the SNR drop occurs so suddenly, and then comes back so suddenly.....And as i sometimes get this same behaviour during the daytime afternoons. It all implies that some actual event has occurred that causes this SNR drop. From the times it doesn't appear to be any scheduled i.e. street lights. Instead, its more like a manual event occurring i.e someone using their line (phone / broadband?)

Now, i've mentioned before that across the street from our property is a new set of flats.....this has only recently been finished and a number of folk have moved in. I guess they would share the same BT cabinet as our development. I've certainly seen the BT vans out more often which imply more lines getting connected due to the new movers. With this in mind, could it be that with more folk connected up within the cabinet, some particular line is causing a signal clash with mine? I would guess this line is also ADSL2+...

Is this possible?
      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      He/she might have pulled your wires and stressed the joint so that it looses contact now and then.
      Hmmm yes i would agree that this could have happend initally. But the last time the engineers were out. I saw the lads redo the connection within the cabinet.
      It wasn't long until the following day did i have the same issue with the SNR drop.
      So on that basis, i'm pretty sure its probably nothing to do with the contacts?

However, the question is would they have had to do any rewiring in other locations other than the cabinet? i.e. underground cabling? Not sure if this could influence the SNR drops?

I'm still curious if the increase in number of new line connections at the cabinet due to the new development....It is possible in anyway, if these could have effected my sudden SNR drops at certain times i.e clash in signals or crosstalk? I'm only suggesting this, becos the new development coincide with the timeframe of when this issue started (Jun-18).

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could be right, but I doubt it. I crosstalk happened, consider a large city centre cabinet with possibly thousands of connections, everyone would have problems. I think if it is an external problem it is a poor joint in your line.
      I remember reading about a case where a persons line dropped every half hour during the day and every hour at night. It took him a long time to realise that it coincided exactly with the local bus passing his front door. Investigation traced it to a joint in his roadside cabinet which vibrated every time the bus passed. It had passed every test done when the bus was not passing. Another case involved a man whose connection dropped every night at 6 o'clock and did not come back till 6.30. He discovered it was his wife who liked to take a half hour run on their treadmill every night. I don't know whether he replaced the wife or the treadmill.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

You could be right, but I doubt it. I crosstalk happened, consider a large city centre cabinet with possibly thousands of connections, everyone would have problems. I think if it is an external problem it is a poor joint in your line.
      I remember reading about a case where a persons line dropped every half hour during the day and every hour at night. It took him a long time to realise that it coincided exactly with the local bus passing his front door. Investigation traced it to a joint in his roadside cabinet which vibrated every time the bus passed. It had passed every test done when the bus was not passing. Another case involved a man whose connection dropped every night at 6 o'clock and did not come back till 6.30. He discovered it was his wife who liked to take a half hour run on their treadmill every night. I don't know whether he replaced the wife or the treadmill.
      I assume when you talk about poor joint, you are refering to connections at either the internal property distribution box, the external cabinet or the exchange.
      I witness them changing the wiring at the distribution box inside the property and the external cabinet outside. So i can't imagine there's any problem with these connections? I can't be sure about the exchange thou.

Got back home tonight and notice the connection has drop twice again today....in the afternoon from 13meg at 13:52 (resync at 7meg) and then later at 14:23 (resync at 9meg).
      I'm rather concerned about this problem, as i have a feeling that capping my line isnt going to sort the problem. Its still dropping even at 7meg....?

I'm expecting a callback tommorrow....at which point i'm going to try and get some further action on this? Do you have any suggestions that i could make?

Thanks

I assume when you talk about poor joint, you are refering to connections at either the internal property distribution box, the external cabinet or the exchange
      I think you will find there are more joints than that. The line will not run in one length from your cabinet to the exchange, it can run through several cabinets or manholes, with joints in them all. If it were one continuous line back to the exchange there would be few problems.

All you can hope is that you get a good engineer who is prepared to go the extra yard to get you fixed. It would be ideal if the line dropped when he was there, but like that squeak in your car which disappears in the garage forecourt, it is unlikely to happen.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think you will find there are more joints than that. The line will not run in one length from your cabinet to the exchange, it can run through several cabinets or manholes, with joints in them all. If it were one continuous line back to the exchange there would be few problems.

All you can hope is that you get a good engineer who is prepared to go the extra yard to get you fixed. It would be ideal if the line dropped when he was there, but like that squeak in your car which disappears in the garage forecourt, it is unlikely to happen.
      I just need to see how i get on......as all i can do is insist they investigate further rather than capping...my stats just now as i send this post....barely managing

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9798 kbps 1022 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32 db 18 db
      Noise Margin 2147483647 db 9 db

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Please be assured the irritation you feel with this fault is not confined to you!. What you need is a good tech who has enough time to spend going through this line from your master back to the exchange untill the fault is found. In essence this is a simple problem to fix but takes a hell of a lot of time to find. I dont think it is a network cross talk problem, as there would be a lot of affected lines.
      This does not help you, but I had a similar problem on my line and I took a days holiday to find it and about 2 mins to fix.

Thanks

I dont think it is a network cross talk problem, as there would be a lot of affected lines.
      I think it would also be an almost constant problem if it were, not intermittent as you are experiencing.

It is a pity you are not near Kings Lynn or I am sure Brian would come round and help.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Please be assured the irritation you feel with this fault is not confined to you!. What you need is a good tech who has enough time to spend going through this line from your master back to the exchange untill the fault is found. In essence this is a simple problem to fix but takes a hell of a lot of time to find. I dont think it is a network cross talk problem, as there would be a lot of affected lines.
      This does not help you, but I had a similar problem on my line and I took a days holiday to find it and about 2 mins to fix.
      Brian, are you a BT engineer by any chance?
      As IsItMe says, its a pity your not close by as i'd appreciate some help on this one A good tech dont seem to come by easy......And its doubley difficult when you throw Sky as the point of contact.
      You don't happen to know someone in the trade that can help in the Glasgow area by any chance? Just thought i'd mention in the off chance you knew anyone that could help as i would gladly pay them to sort this once and for all!
      I've already taken about 4 days off work with all the engineer visists.....and with 2months i'm not anywhere further

The main problem is the intermittent nature of the problem, as even when the engineer is there....its likely the line will be rock stable and no fault can be found.

At the moment, when i last spoke with Sky, they aren't really intrested as its felt that all possible changes have been exhausted. But clearly the problem still remains. So what annoys me is that there doesn't appear to be any process available to resolve such intermittent issues? Being a software engineer myself, i would expect that Sky or BT would have diagnoistic monitoring tools that can be configured to track (24/7) a line in order to identify and atleast confirm such issues do exist thru out the day. That way, BT could take the issue more seriously and investigate in more detail. Rather than come out and perform some spot checks there and then.....sods law the issue doesnt appear and no fault is found. Hence case closed...

As you and IsItMe have mentioned, its not crosstalk; as it would have to be constant and effect more people. Fair enough i'll take your advice on that as you guys clearly know more about this than me.....then that now puts us back to the whole poor joint connections?

IsItMe mentioned that such connections from my cabinet get route thru other cabinets/manholes, and eventually to the exchange.
      How the heck do you convince Sky/BT to check all joint connections?!
      There is a manhole outside our development near the cabinet. As with the new delvelopment would BT have to access the manhole to wireup connections from the new property directly to the cabinet? I'm thinking if this would had involved interferring with existing connections within the manhole i.e. connections for our property?

Thanks

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I am retired now, but as hard as this may seem you must persue this problem through your ISP (Sky) you need to get back on to them and explain that dispite all that has been done the problem is still there, Tell them the problem is now worse and dispite speed capping you still suffer from dropouts.
      It is possible that Sky may take the view that tey have gone as far as they are willing to with this problem and release you from your contract with them.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I am retired now, but as hard as this may seem you must persue this problem through your ISP (Sky) you need to get back on to them and explain that dispite all that has been done the problem is still there, Tell them the problem is now worse and dispite speed capping you still suffer from dropouts.
      It is possible that Sky may take the view that tey have gone as far as they are willing to with this problem and release you from your contract with them.
      With regards to releasing contracts with them.....Thats a major cop out.
      Certainly don't sound rite. I can't see how they can be allowed to do this?
      I've had service from them for 4 years without gitch.
      Surely there's rules and regulations that prevent this.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast