Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

This is a discussion on Disconnects 'n Speed Issues? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; But then again, could the builders have done something when getting the development ready? Very difficult to say??? If you ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

But then again, could the builders have done something when getting the development ready? Very difficult to say???
      If you are coming from the same cab, there is a chance that the BTO engineers have disturbed your connection, causing the problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyeung View Post
      I've managed to tune the radio to a frequency where i think i can hear some distinct noise when holding up to the laptop or the router itself.
      For the router, its a buzz but a distinct tapping noise...which may be the adsl signal?
      So i guess when the SNR starts fluctuating badly....i should hold the radio near the router to identify any new distinct noises (possibly cause of interference), other than the distinct tapping noise that the router currently makes? Thereafter, i assume the task will be identify where this new distinct noise is coming from i.e. neighbours.
      Does that sound about rite??

Next time i speak to Sky, i'll try and request for another card swap? I would think they would be happy to do this without issue, as i'm guessing its not like another BT engineer visit to the home which costs.

In the past, when synced at 13M or 15M, during a steady stable SNR, i do still see the odd minor fluctuation i.e. 1-3db.
      However, other than the incident around 13:00 to 15:20 this afternoon....I have noticed that the SNR is showing a solid flatline of 13db without ANY fluctuation. Could the lower sync speed of 9M simply be a much more stable connection after all? But due to the incident in the afternoon, it contradicts the stable connection.

I've tried to speak to some neighbours, some don't have BB. Some do, but their partners not in and they don't know anything about it
      I know there are atleast 2 folk in the block with BB, as i've detected 2 wireless access points; one being a Sky one. My wife bumped into one of the neighbours (with Sky BB) the other week but they didn't notice any issue with their BB. But then again, it could be that their sync'd at lower speed and just not noticed the issue? So will try and speak with them and other neighbours sometime.

Anyways, so far the connections uptime is almost 24hours.
      Can i asked as to what your thoughts would be if my connection stays stable at
      9M for the next few days?
      Does it simply imply general interference (somewhere) thats causing higher sync speeds to be more prone in picking up the interference compared to lower speeds?

However, I must say that i'm not entirely sure where to go if my BB continues to disconnect even at lower sync speeds....hence capping isnt gonna resolve until the route cause is identified. But with vibes i get from BT/Sky i'm not sure i'll be able to get much assistance? Like i'm a lost cause.

Another thing maybe worth mentioning is that across the street from our building is a new development that recently opened up. Folk have moved in around the sametime as when i noticed this issue of drops (June). I don't know how and why, but my gut feel that the inital cause of my drops have stem from this new development. Theres probably a good 20-30 residents there, compared to 5 residents in our block alone.
      So i would imagine, a few have had their phone lines setup or BB etc. But then again, could the builders have done something when getting the development ready? Very difficult to say???

Will update on the connection later.

Cheers
      The 9M connection has been up for over 2 days now without disconnect.
      However, i've noticed that during the last 2 days around 13:00 - 16:00 the SNR has dropped and fluctuated consistently for ~2hours.
      The SNR dropping from 13db to 0db, then rises and fluctuated between 4-7db for a period of time......and then when noise improves, it goes back to13db. After this the SNR is rock solid at 13db thru the rest of the day/evening?

Is this a REIN issue i'm experiencing?

Whlist online last night, i searched for similar issues; and it was suggested that interference could be injected either via the telephone line, but also the mains?
      It was therefore suggested that using a UPS could help filter any EMI from the mains? And for the telephone line, it was suggested that using a ferrite core clip could help with any interference injected within the phone line?

Any ideas if these would help or work!?
      For the ferrite clips, found some at maplins, but not sure which would be suitable.....also being, that i dont know much about this, i'm not sure if this would have a negative effect on the adsl signal
      Clip-on Ferrites : Ferrites : Maplin

For the UPS, it just so happens i have one....but i'd have to purchase a connector in order to plug the router to it i.e. C14 (M) - BS 1363 (F)14

Again advice would be appreciated if either of these would be worth pursuing?...

Quote Originally Posted by IsitMe
      If you are coming from the same cab, there is a chance that the BTO engineers have disturbed your connection, causing the problems.
      They've recently came out to change the cab i.e. swapped D side.
      So i can't imagine there would be any disturbances at the cab

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I'm not supprised that Sky/Openreach are no longer interested, as far as they are concerned, they have capped the speed, the line is now stable, job done! the fact that you had a higher speed in the past, or that the SNRM is dropping, does not matter so long as the connection holds up.
      You could try your USP on the router, it may help, but ferrite clips on the phone line will have no effect other than to maybe reduce your speed as it will reduce your ADSL signal as well as any interferance. In effect it will increase the line attenuation.

Thanks

A recent poster had a similar problem, but he was able to trace it back to the PSU on his PC. You don't seem to have the same problem, but it could be similar. If you have a UPS try it, they are very useful even if it does not cure your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

My SNR drops are still occurring....last one was yesterday evening around 19:00, with a immediate drop in SNR from 11db to negative; reboot resync'd at 7-8meg with constant fluctuations betwen 7db to 4db. From about 22:00 the SNR started to stablise again, and it immediately shot back up to the usual 11db. Thereafter, the SNR is rock solid stable i.e. flatlined at 11db.

After the drop, I did a quiet line test (corded phone) via the test socket....and no crackling noises. So line appears fine. I also spoken with a few neighbours and confirmed that they did not switch any specific devices during the time of drop.
      Plus they've not had any issues with drop's on their broadband.

And with the radio tuned around 600Khz MW.....i did not hear anything odd in comparision to when the connection is fine.

Ruling out the neighbours in the block and hence, any sort of nearby REIN in my flat.....I can only assume the issue is external from the property?

As the SNR drop occurs so suddenly, and then comes back so suddenly.....And as i sometimes get this same behaviour during the daytime afternoons. It all implies that some actual event has occurred that causes this SNR drop. From the times it doesn't appear to be any scheduled i.e. street lights. Instead, its more like a manual event occurring i.e someone using their line (phone / broadband?)

Now, i've mentioned before that across the street from our property is a new set of flats.....this has only recently been finished and a number of folk have moved in. I guess they would share the same BT cabinet as our development. I've certainly seen the BT vans out more often which imply more lines getting connected due to the new movers. With this in mind, could it be that with more folk connected up within the cabinet, some particular line is causing a signal clash with mine? I would guess this line is also ADSL2+...

Is this possible?

Thanks

Have you tried the UPS? Do you have your PC plugged into it?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you tried the UPS? Do you have your PC plugged into it?
      no haven't plugged ups into router because I'm awaiting for a cable that I've ordered to allow me to do this. Should get it within next day or so. Then I'll be able to rule out the mains?

Ups is currently connected to a nas device.....no pc connected as I use a laptop at home.

Can you tell me what your thoughs are with regards to the new development in my last post?

Thanks

I don't think the new lines could cause a 'signal clash' but it is possible the engineers have disturbed you connection in the cabinet. This would be difficult to prove or disprove without an inspection and you seem to think this is not the case.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

When u say disturb my line.....can u give examples in what way?

Thanks

He/she might have pulled your wires and stressed the joint so that it looses contact now and then.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast