Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using a different router - only Google viewable

This is a discussion on Using a different router - only Google viewable within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a somewhat curious problem. I've been frustrated by the somewhat cheap and tacky Sagem router Sky supplied (It's ...

wintersky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01202
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thumbs down Using a different router - only Google viewable

I have a somewhat curious problem.

I've been frustrated by the somewhat cheap and tacky Sagem router Sky supplied (It's got one of those old Wi-Fi-g chips thats prone to connection drops and ping spikes and has very few advanced features) so decided to use "that tool" to get my login/pass and instead use by trusty new Netgear DG834N. This seemed to work fine, it all connected and Google loaded up.

However for some totally bizarre reason google seemed to be the only website I could load, nothing else will come up. I even tried putting OpenDNS on but the same problem happens, only Google shows and all the usual tech tweaks, reboots, reconnections, Wi-fi channel changes, wired link attempts don't help either.

2. Advertisement
      Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Using a different router - only Google viewable

I have the exact same problem on a flashed sagem, but only on 1 of the 5 computers connected to it! The other 4 work fine! I gave up and went back to my old Linksys.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Can you get on line OK with the somewhat cheap and tacky Sagem router Sky supplied? If you can, it indicates a problem with the settings in your superior router. If you can't, then the problem is with your PC, probably the security settings or malware. There are hundreds of thousands using the Sky supplied Sagem routers with no problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Is Google your normal home page? It may well be that you're not actually connecting to the internet at all and the google page is just being loaded from your temporary internet cache. Check your network status to see if you've got internet access and not just local. Try resetting your netgear and loading in the sky login details again.

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Can you get on line OK with the somewhat cheap and tacky Sagem router Sky supplied? If you can, it indicates a problem with the settings in your superior router. If you can't, then the problem is with your PC, probably the security settings or malware. There are hundreds of thousands using the Sky supplied Sagem routers with no problems.
      You know I have just gone back to using the cheap and tacky Sagem f@st after a couple of weeks on my beloved DG834GT non sky router. Why? well The DG as good as it is at holding a low SNR is just not cutting it compared with the cheap tacky Sagem. Yes I baulk at having to confess to this but the Sagem really is holding a higher sync and lower SNR than the DG. Don't knock the Sagem without giving it a fair crack. Yes the wireless is crap but that's easy over come.

wintersky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01202
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'll try a full reset on my NetGear router and see if that helps, was hoping not to lose all my custom Firewall settings though. Maybe I can find a way to back just those up without backing all the other settings up too.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Here is some other things you can try -
      Check the MTU is correct, this should be set to 1500.
      Get a 'safe' hosts file from Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
      Flush the DNS cache by opening a Command Prompt and typing - ipconfig /flushdns
      You should receive confirmation that this has been done.
      Try downloading and running TCPOptimiser, link below.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.