Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How to get Sky to uncap my line?

This is a discussion on How to get Sky to uncap my line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A few times since joining Sky I have got them to remove a cap on my line - but it ...

Arfur Pint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How to get Sky to uncap my line?

A few times since joining Sky I have got them to remove a cap on my line - but it always gets put back on.

How can I get Sky to remove the cap (or at least cap it higher than it is at present) permanently?

Now for example DLM isn't running on my line according to info on 'my Sky' page but the upstream speed is capped at 1546 kbps - downstream is 412 kbps (I know 412 kbps would seem to indicate DLM is running but the cap keeps it at the speeds I have mentioned all the time).

This is getting annoying as I had better speeds with non LLU and my last ISP.

BTW my router stats are:- LA Downstream 59 db and SNR 12 db, so I should be able to get a speed of approx. 2500 kbps or possibly a bit higher.

So how can I get Sky to remove the permanent cap on my line ?

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: How to get Sky to uncap my line?

Could you give some details of your internal phone wiring, do you have extension sockets? how are you connected to the phone line,at the master? or at an extension?

Arfur Pint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Could you give some details of your internal phone wiring, do you have extension sockets? how are you connected to the phone line,at the master? or at an extension?
      I am connected via the master socket with the cable supplied by Sky with the router (filtered of course).

If I remove the faceplate and connect through the test socket - results are the same.

I have one extension that is filtered.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

O.k, with the faceplate removed and the test socket exposed, you should only have a dial tone at the test socket, and if you have a home intruder alarm, this should lose the dial tone as well.
      If this is so, could you check your line for noise. At the test socket, and with the router disconnected, dial a single digit to kill the dial tone and listern, you should just hear a low hiss, no crackle. Try and do this with a normal wired phone.
      If the line is o.k, reconect your router and repeat the test, the line should still just have a low hiss.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I know 412 kbps would seem to indicate DLM is running
      It indicates you are on ADSL2+. With your attenuation you may be better on G.DMT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.