Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unrealiable Line

This is a discussion on Unrealiable Line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been a Sky user for some time and previous ISP was BT and after a little trouble with ...

MeanMint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unrealiable Line

I have been a Sky user for some time and previous ISP was BT and after a little trouble with my line with them was able to get a steady 576Kb down stream speed.

Since switching to Sky I have never been able to get a sync speed near 500Kb for any length of time. Sky will change it back to 500Kb but after a couple of days the router will sync back to 384Kb, or 224Kb or at it's worst 90Kb.

The router is plugged into the main Telephone socket and is the only socket in the house, with no extensions and no other equipment plugged in. The BT socket does not have a test socket behind it.

I have change the socket to a filtered one and it made no difference, I have now changed it back and replaced with a brand new filter.

From doing research on here and elsewhere I understand that my line length is excessive (over 6Km). But as I have stated with BT I was able to get 576Kb.

After exhaustive calls to Sky, I feel I'm not getting anywhere as when I phone, they will change my profile and it all works fine. But after a while the router will unsync, or we will make a call and the Broadband drops.

When I was with BT I had exactly the same problem, but as it was BT they sorted it out with and engineering who discovered the problem in the Green Junction box down the road and then traced it back to the exchange. Viola fixed and no problems.

Now I am with Sky they seem reluctant to send an engineer out even though I have explained previous history and they have all my telephone notes on file.

What I am asking here is if there is any further action I can take, to at least get my line to be solid 500Kb for a period of longer than 12 hours.

I don't want to go back to BT as 17 a month for half a meg is taking the p*** and really no other providers can match Sky for the cost of broadband.

I should also point out that neighbours have no problems like this and some have a slightly better connection speed.

2. Advertisement
      jid
      jid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bridgend
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Unrealiable Line

Hi

Could you post up your Line stats for us.

If you don't know how, take a look here:-
      How to get your router statistics
      Regards

Jamie

(Tiscali LLU 8meg ; Sync: 7872kbps ; Attenuation: 30dB)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'll post my stats when I get home from work, although what you will be able to gather from that is my poor quality line.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Do you pay line rental to Sky?

If not, it may be worth putting in a fault with BT for an intermittent crackle on the line, when the engineer turns up, have a nice coffee and biccy ready and explain that as well as an intermittent crackle you have noticed that you BB drops when the phone is in use.

Explain that you have had similar in the past and it was a connection in the green cabinet, see if he would like a bacon butty while he is investigating.

Cross your fingers.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Last time I tried the BT route the engineer found no fault on my line and charged me 99.

There is no problem with the phone line, although there is.

My landline is with BT but they are only interested in the phone line and you cannot get a proper BT Opean Reach engineer out because my Broadband is supplied by Sky.

Sky will not, I say will not it's more reluctant, to send an enigineer out as It costs them, as I know for a fact its a problem with the line.

There is only so many times I can speak to Sky and tell them the problem does not lie with my internal wiring. It can't be the router as the have changed it several times.

All I can put it down to, is the crap BT line I have. When you look at the line coming out of the house, it does not look like it is very well connected or shielded when going into the box at the top of the house. It then goes across to the main Telephone poll along with about a dozen or so houses in the street, then obviously from the pole to the green junction box.

I pay my line rental to BT, Broadband to Sky and now with new proposals in this so called high speed broadband for the UK will have to stump up a further amount. My line rental to BT should already cover the infrastructure, but my line rental mainly goes to BT shareholders, who care little for two little bits of copper that come into my house.

Rant over.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router Stats for those that are interested.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 16713 24868 0 0 0 2:06:40
      LAN 15 0 0 0 0 53:50:45
      WLAN 418180 334255 0 1098 938 53:50:22
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 192 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 10.0 db 14.0 db

Pretty bad at the moment, last spoke with Sky on Sunday and they increased it to 500Kb , which it stayed at for a while. I still have the ticket number and the chap asked me to keep an eye on it and call back if it changed.

But all I can see happening is calling back, they change it and as we talk on the phone it's back to normal again.

I want them to something more than me having to ring up every 3 days.