Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sky have block Playstation network somehow!! Help!!

This is a discussion on Sky have block Playstation network somehow!! Help!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; nope. I think we can say with some certainty though - Its the Connect users that are the ones buggered ...

JRush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen North
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky have block Playstation network somehow!! Help!!

nope. I think we can say with some certainty though - Its the Connect users that are the ones buggered perhaps by the recent IPstream change? Or basically its just Sony making changes like Smithy said?

i agree with Smithy's theory - sorta makes sense and would explain why during peak times its worse.
      It would sorta mean that both Sony and Sky are to blame. Sony for making the changes and not warning anyone about it (effectively cutting off loads of their users) and Sky for letting their Connect users suffer with a substandard connection during peak times. Its not enough just to be "online" it has to be actual broadband with stable, consistent and fast connection.

Only quickish solution is to get moved off Connect onto MID or MAX (or what the new packages are called)

Because of the error with my account Sky are going to "fastrack" my transfer from Connect > Mid (called a Stop and Start?) otherwise theyd have to do a cease and re-provide which is 7-10 days without internet.

In any case i have to wait until i get my new router before they can make the change.

Everyone else if you are stuck on Connect - good luck!
      Last edited by JRush; 23-06-09 at 12:10 AM.

2. Advertisement
      C-Pk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Currently Leaving Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The issue is that Peer to Peer networks are being majorly scaled down during peek periods by Sky. PSN being a Peer to Peer network cannot run because of the reduction in service. Its Sky's fault for introducing the crazy limits.

stujw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01797
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Finally, an answer! This has been the most infuriating week, trying to get FIFA games played and just dropping off the PSN every few minutes. Had tried pretty much everything before coming in here!

A post on the PS3 boards seems to sum up what's happened succinctly;

Ok I am a computer engineer and so I will try to let everyone know what state we are at at the minute.

After much searching and hounding of Sky we have found that they have changed the Conditions on the Sky Connect Service which states that we now are getting our speed limited during peak hours. (eg. 5-12 midnight). It also mentions that Peer to Peer networks are going to be majorly affected by this.

But wait, PSN runs on a Peer to Peer network. Doesn't this cause a problem? Hell yeah it does! This great big problem we are all talking about. I have run numerous Speed Tests on my internet which is at 6.6Mbps at 9:30 in the morning, but 1.3 and lower in the evening. This is why we have all been disconnected and this is the major problem.

Furthermore, I spent 45 minutes arguing with a Sky BB Helpline dude that it was Sky and not a fault. Yet he still said to me to try some troubleshooting. There is no telling these people. It is very pleasing to hear that Sky are finally saying they are looking into it. I just hope its true and they are not blowing smoke.

It really just seems that Sky Connect will not be able to support PSN users again unless they change their mind with these new restrictions. I suggest we all start hounding Sky about these new conditions quickly if we want a swift response.
      So I guess the ball is in Sky's court?

I've seen some people talk about changing from Sky Connect to Mid. I don't know a lot about the packages, but I thought those of us on Connect were on it because we *couldn't* get the main packages?! Is that not the case, can we request to change?

Thanks

Thats me above

Oh and that Should be the case, We are on connect because there is no Sky Exchange at our local exchange. So we work off the BT exchange at a higher charge and more crappy connection it appears.

JRush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen North
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks C-pk finally we know whats going on!

i feel sorry for those left on Connect though..

Only reason im able to move to MID is coz sky made a mistake and accidentally kept me on Connect when i should have been moved quite some time ago..but better late than never.

Thanks

Just to keep everyone right.

At the minute, It is just our Belief that Sky have caused this with their new changes. The timing fits perfectly. And Sony made no updates to the playstation when this problem occured.

So whilst I am confident that this is the reason. Its not 100%. But it all seems to fit.

Also I might add, I believe its absolutely disgusting that they can limit my connection from 6.6Mbps down to 1Mbps for peak times. That is taking a liberty on my custom in my opinion. But there you go.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

He is something all connect Customers should be aware of
      Sky Broadband Connect customers only
      Please note: You may experience slower speeds during peak times (from 5pm to 12am each day) for certain applications that use up a lot of bandwidth and are not time critical, such as peer-to-peer and newsgroups. This is as a result of Sky's Traffic Management, which is applied to the Connect network so that we are able to provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our Connect customers. There is also an Excessive Use Policy that applies to Connect customers during peak times, if you are in the top 2% of Connect customers using an excessive amount of bandwidth and impacting other customers' experience on the Connect product we may apply more severe restrictions to your speeds for all applications during peak times (for more details see the Usage Policies section of the Sky Broadband Terms & Conditions
      And have a look at the Link Sky.com - Sky Products>Broadband>Terms and Conditions>Usage Policies

Thanks

Yes that is all well and good but my connection has been dropped from 6.6 to 1 during peak times. Thats an unbelievable drop. And completely unfair if you ask me. Hence why I am trying to get away from Sky and out of my Broadband Contract.

The problem the PSN is that it is Peer to Peer and therefore is compromised by these changes.

anto19 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02837
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

ok this is dreadful.ive nly started check about a month now.has theseT&Cs changed r wud i av been told dis.cuz if not we should av every right to cancel .

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

[B]C-Pk[/B I understand that Have a look at
      and have been Trying for a long time to help connect Customers posting where ever possible to get some Help Traffic Managing been happening for a while
      Sky have now moved over to IP Stream Connect which is suppose to be better as a connect Customer I hope so it at the moment My speeds have improved but Line Attenuation has gone higher that is why I am asking if Line Attenuation has gone up

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast