Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will increase in noise margin of 2.0 make a difference?

This is a discussion on Will increase in noise margin of 2.0 make a difference? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, My noise margin by ethernet from my extension socket was around 9.2 downstream. I have just connected (albeit wirelessly) ...

hurdy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Will increase in noise margin of 2.0 make a difference?

Hi,

My noise margin by ethernet from my extension socket was around 9.2 downstream. I have just connected (albeit wirelessly) to the router which is now attached to the test socket. My noise margin has gone up to around 11.5.

My question is, should this be enough to make any difference? With such a small increase is it worth getting a filtered face plate and replacing the wiring to the extension. I've tried various speed tests but they give me a d/l speed of anywhere between 7meg and 12meg depending on the site.

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Any increase no matter how slight is good

Try this one http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

I find it a lot more accurate when I need a rough idea how the connection is doing but a good ftp site is the best indicator for a more accurate speed test try this one

ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/edunfs/mirror...4-bootonly.iso

25MB file
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      You're slightly misunderstanding things.

Your noise margin is determined by your router using a combination of attenuation and line quality (e.g. noise).

The attenuation can't change (much) as it is in effect a measure of the length of your line.

Noise on your line does and will change depending on such things as weather and time of day.

The noise margin is what your router has calculated it has to "play" with.

Connecting via ethernet or wireless won't give different readings.

Unplugging or powering down your router then reconnecting will give you a different reading as the router will resync to a new noise margin depending on the noise on your line at that time.

A filtered faceplate simply gives the router a "cleaner" signal so the router is able to sync at a higher speed for the current level of noise.

If you're downloading at 12 meg do you need more?

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm trying to get the fastest I can, and when speed tests vary so widely, I'm finding it hard to work out if I'm getting what I should. The line tests from BT and Sky say I should be getting 15.9 meg and I don't think I am. Downloading via utorrent seldom goes faster than 2meg despite tweaking and trying torrents with high seeds and low leeches.

I may have confused things with the ethernet/wireless part. Simply put, my noise margin is around 6-9 in my extension socket and 11-12 in my test socket in the master socket. I'm wondering if that minor difference numerically will make any difference in reality. My understanding was that the higher the noise margin, the better your connection and speed - please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm very new to this...

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Nothing wrong with speed

Have you opened ports for utorrent? It makes a big difference to be able to accept incoming connections.

If you get a much better noise margin connecting to the test socket than via the extension then this suggests you are already connecting at near to the maximum speed your line is capable of. The "better" test socket connection is translated to a higher noise margin not a higher connection speed. You need to post your before and after router stats to be able confirm this.

Yes the higher noise margin the better until you are at the maximum your line can accomodate then it just becomes extra "slack" - which can't hurt but isn't needed. That said I'd love your noise margin so I'd go for a filtered faceplate if I were in your position.

It is very hard to know exactly what your true maximum download speed is because all you are testing is the server load of the site you're accessing. A really good FTP site may get close. A properly set up torrent may do it too.
      Last edited by Saturday; 26-09-06 at 09:32 PM.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, I've forwarded the port for utorrent.

My router stats are thus (taken just now):

Test socket:
      Connection Speed 15997 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db 12.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.6 db 9.9 db

Master socket:
      Connection Speed 14486 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.5 db 12.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 10.8 db

So there is a difference - I'm just wondering if its worth it (the master socket gives similar readings to the extension). Having tweaked utorrent to within an inch of its life, will my downloads suddenly jump from around 2meg to closer to 10meg (depending on the torrent of course)

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The test socket is by far the best you will get like I said earlier even a slight increase is good for you 7.4 is getting a little on the low side.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Thanks
      @hurdy

The jump in connection speed isn't all that great but the jump in noise margin is. I would love your connection speed with a margin that high. You have a great line. I wouldn't hesitate to get a filtered faceplate if I were you.

Will your torrents suddenly leap from 2 to 10 meg? I doubt it.

I have no idea why you are only getting 2Mb for utorrent. You say that utorrent's built in speed/port test shows that the port you are using accepts incomming connections?

I downloaded a few of torrents yesterday and just about maxed out my connection at 900+ kB/s. Maybe you just happened to choose torrents with low bandwidth seeds/peers? as an example I have two torrents downloading at the moment. The one with 9 seeds and 37 peers is downloading at 19kB/s, the one with 1 seed and 11 peers is downloading at 87kB/s.

More seeds just means higher availability not necessarily higher speeds as many seeders (me included) limit seeding bandwidth to avoid getting crippled by maxing out upstream.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help guys, looks like I'll be sorting a face plate out then!

Saturday, I'm getting around the same as you, although some have occasionally creeped up to 130kB/s. Some of the stuff is fairly rare, so there aren't always a lot of seeders - perhaps I'm expecting too much from the common stuff though. The port forward settings are OK (checked via the utorrent speed/port checker) - suppose going from 2meg cable to 16meg Sky I was hooping for the impossible!!! Torrent downloads at 16meg, something to dream for I suppose.

Were you one of the first to get Sky on DigitalSpy? If so you were getting 3-4meg downloads if my memory serves correct. Is that the same or was that a one off?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Yes, I've been connected since the 17th August - I haven't heard of anyone earlier.

The first torrent downloads I tried came in at about 4.5 meg. Since then I've improved my connection speeds and things are even better.

If you look back at my earlier post I was just reporting the speeds of torrents I was currently downloading to show that the number of seeds/peers had no simple relationship to the download speed.

Yesterday, as I said, I was downloading torrents at 9 meg (I quoted 900kB/s not 900kb/s). I don't know why you can't get this sort of speed other than you're choosing torrents where the file holders aren't making much bandwidth available.

EDIT: I've just gone to Minnova and selected two popular torrents as a test download. One is now downloading at 297.8 kB/s and the other at 198.3 kB/s, so about 5 meg combined. They're still picking up speed so there doesn't (so far) seem to be a problem with SkyBB and torrents.

EDIT 2: added another torrent and have just gone through 8 meg

Maybe you should go through your utorrent settings to make sure you have it optimised?
      Last edited by Saturday; 27-09-06 at 06:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast