Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Strange Disconnects

This is a discussion on Strange Disconnects within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I have been browsing these forums for good tips and knowledge since I switched to sky broadband (from ...

Stewjames2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Strange Disconnects

Hi there, I have been browsing these forums for good tips and knowledge since I switched to sky broadband (from AOL). I've been recently having problems with my connection.

I have recently started playing World of Warcraft again, this has nothing to do with the problem, however it requires a constant internet connection. So when my internet disconnects, I get kicked out of the game, which messes up things for my fellow players.

These disconnects strangely seem to occur at the same time everyday, generally between 8 and 10, normally at around 9. Before this morning I assume it was only happening at night, however I woke up early (unintentionally) and tried to get onto the internet on my wireless laptop. It was down at around 8:30am, I tried rebooting the laptop to see if the wireless was screwing with the line, nothing.

My setup consists of, filter plugged into master socket. ADSL and phone connected to this, router downstairs then a 15m~ network cable that runs upstairs to my switch. Then to my computer, which has gigabit ethernet.

I have recorded some stats of my router, both on the master socket and on the test socket:

8:53 - 18/06/09 - Master socket

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4644 kbps 767 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.5 db 23.6 db
      Noise Margin 10.2 db 15.9 db

8:57 - 18/06/09 - Test socket

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7402 kbps 767 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.5 db 23.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.2 db 16.0 db

Last night infact, my noise margin was around 3.9. This was whilst on the master socket. I do not mind about the speed difference, I just want the connection to stay up all the time, Or disconnect whilst I'm asleep.

I currently have the line plugged into the test socket, I would leave it like this but there is exposed wires that I'm not too keen on. This problem is very similar to:
      Sky Reset at Midnight?

But the solution didn't help, I turned off the schedule, UPnP is disabled.

Is there anything you think that might be wrong, I hate asking for help from people, but Ive tried everything Ive read apart from fitting a faceplate.

Thanks in advances, Stewart.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Strange Disconnects

Face plate is the next call - will give you same speed as test socket and isolate the BB from your extentions...

THEN if the noise drops and you lose sync you then know it's an external line issue...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

I want to fit the faceplace, I'm assuming I would use the XTE-2005 filtered one. But I do not know how to do it, is it a simple push on job or would I need to wire it manually?

Don't want to screw it up

Thanks

i assume you have extentions off the current master, correct? if so, you'll need an IDC tool to jumper the extention wiring...I bought one and had it fitted in about 5 minutes...

Important thing to remember is which coloured cable goes to which pin - and only use 2 and 5 (leave the bell wire on 3 disconnected)...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah I'm beginning to understand this better now, When I removed the faceplate of the mastersocket I saw that there was phone type plastic bit that was inside the test socket. I thought that this was just a placeholder (plastic), and that the wires connected were for the phone socket.

Ive just relised how it actually works, so, theres no way I could possibly mess up the phone by fitting the faceplate, the only thing I could mess up is the extension?

Thanks so much for the help, I'm going to order the faceplate right away, Ive always wanted to teach myself how to do the wiring so heres my chance.

Thanks

lol, yeah!!

I've got the ADSL Nation one but the NTE2000/2005 sold by run-IT-direct are the ones supplied by BT so give it a look as well...either way you can't go wrong

Exchange:
      Thanks

I disconnected my extension earlier, this made my speeds rise to what they where on the test socket. However, it disconnected a few minutes ago. When I ran the sky test, it returned successfully and the internet was back on.

I'm assuming this means that the disconnect issue isnt with the faceplate or extension, any thoughts?

Thanks

does it drop when in the test socket though?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I will try to test that soon, thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

How long have you been connected, less than a couple of weeks and DLM will be running on your line. This causes the line to resync, sometimes a few times a day. If you have been moving the phone connection around it may be seeing this as line faults. Keep your router plugged in and if it drops give it time to resync itself.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast