Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some help

This is a discussion on Need some help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My internet has been really slow for quite a while now, could this be due to my noise margin? Here ...

Brooksie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Need some help

My internet has been really slow for quite a while now, could this be due to my noise margin?

Here are what the statistics show me from the sky router.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7001 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 17.0 db
      Noise Margin 13.7 db 15.0 db

Could the noise margin be the problem of our slow speeds? I have no idea about all these ASDL filter lines things, we have our socket, then theres another plug thing, then one more which our phone line and modem plugs into.

I ran a test at speedtest.net with the wired computer and it said 4.5Mbps, which is pretty rubbish considering last time I checked it was like 6.5Mbps..

The wireless range is quite bad aswell. There are 3 computers which game alot, two xbox 360's and a PS3 connected to this, so wireless must be very good. The Sagem F@ST isn't very good and our Linksys WRT54G is very old. Does anyone know the best router for gaming?
      I've heard of this thing called QoS but the only router I found it with was for Virgin only. Also should I get a new router or a modem router? Would I need to call up Sky to get a new Mac code or something?

Also, the phone is wireless, I've heard that some wireless phones run at a 2.4GHz frequency which is 802.11 something.. The max price for the router is 100, so any help would be very nice thanks.

Sorry for the long post

- Brooksie

EDIT: Just did another speedtest, very weird it now appears as:

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Need some help

You should consider ditching the wireless and either running ethernet or if you can afford it buy some homeplugs, this will remove any wireless interference you are getting.

Also, you seem to have had you line capped, you should see 10mb+ with those stats. It may be worth ringing Sky CST after 10:30pm tonight and ask if they will manually set the sync as it seems DLM has not done it right.

Thanks

I don't own the house so I can't drill ethernet cables through the floors, as two computers are upstairs (the wireless ones) and the modem is downstairs.

Does it have to be after 10:30pm?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

If you get homeplugs, they will just plug in to any mains socket turning your house wiring into an ethernet network. No drilling and you can take them with you when you leave. You can easily move them around from room to room too if needed.

You are best runging after 10:30pm as you stand a good chance of bypassing first line suppoet who will run you through quite a few tests before they pass you across to CST who are the only ones who can do this for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If you get homeplugs, they will just plug in to any mains socket turning your house wiring into an ethernet network. No drilling and you can take them with you when you leave. You can easily move them around from room to room too if needed.

You are best runging after 10:30pm as you stand a good chance of bypassing first line suppoet who will run you through quite a few tests before they pass you across to CST who are the only ones who can do this for you.
      Ah ok thanks, so I plug a homeplug into my wall socket, then run the ethernet cable to the modem? What about upstairs though?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

we have our socket, then theres another plug thing, then one more which our phone line and modem plugs into

That is part of your problem. Take the' plug thing' out of the socket, then plug the filter into the socket, plug the router and 'plug thing' into the filter. Plug your phone into the 'plug thing'

In other words, always plug the filter into the socket first.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

A picture speaks a thousand works

Black cable is the phone, grey cable is the modem

The socket to the left (top of the pic) is a NTL/Virgin one

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As I said, plug the filter in first. The other thing plugged in is a plug in extension, the way you are set up this is not being filtered.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

So plug the larger one with the connections into the socket, then plug the smaller one into that then plug the connections into that one?

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The white block with the telephone and ADSL input that you got with your router is called a microfilter, this should be the first thing that's plugged into your phone socket (and one for every other telephone socket you've in use around the house). That telephone extension cable looks like the one connected to a Sky+ box, plug that into the filter and then the black telephone cable into that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast