Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Where best to put Router?

This is a discussion on Where best to put Router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is it always best to have the router connected to the master socket? This is how I have things at ...

ultraviolet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT HomeHub 5
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Where best to put Router?

Is it always best to have the router connected to the master socket?

This is how I have things at the moment.

PC > Router via short Ethernet Cable > Router to Microfilter via 15metre cable > Filter into Master Socket.

Thought nothing of moving it to the master socket until I realised I would need ANOTHER cable from the micro filter to my router and thought WTF? I'm assuming the 15 metre cable is also ethernet - with a square connector?

I was told my line would support 5 Megs and I get 420k downloads and approx 80k uploads. Is it worth the bother, all these cable combinations are doing my head in?

2. Advertisement
      joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Re: Where best to put Router?

There are a few options open to you.
      If you have a NTE5 master socket, the one with the removable split face? You could run a hard wired extension to your desk where your router and PC are currently. Using cat 5 cable or shielded twisted pair cable. You could then purchase say an Adsl nations XTF-filtered face plate and back box. Connect to cable under desk.
      You then have a filtered socket that splits the Adsl signal from the voice signal. One socket for your Adsl and one for you phone all in one neat socket.
      XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation no need for filters as the face plate does it for you. I used the pro cable available from the same place.

There are other options open to you, and I am sure some one will be along to offer alternatives.

The choice is yours. I know my set up has transformed my line stats no end.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The best position for the router in terms of signal quality is to connect directly to the test socket using a filter, then run from there either via ethernet or homeplugs.

For many, this is not possible as it will disconnect all other phone extensions in the house so the alternative is to fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket, keep the router plugged into the ADSL side and that will leave all the other phone points working.

If you need/want to keep the router nearer the computer then you could still fit the filtered faceplate and run an ADSL only extension using good quality twisted cable to where you need it.

By not filtering the ADSL signal at the master with a filtered faceplate you are allowing all the internal wiring to act as an antenna and cause interference with the ADSL signal, this can dramatically reduce speed and stability. Using a phone extension lead to run to the router 15m away is also as bad.

If you post your router stats from the current position and also from the test socket (which is under the master socket faceplate, see sig for details) we will be able to see what difference running it in the way you have it now and if it was done correctly will make.

ultraviolet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT HomeHub 5
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

We only have one phone line, the master socket is it, basically.

I'll have a look, won't do any harm.

Thanks.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The signal in the cable from the phone socket to the router is very sensitive to the length of cable used.

So if possible move the router as close to the phone socket and use the cable that came with the router to connect to the microfilter.

After that you can use homeplugs or ethernet cable as you can use up to 100m of ethernet cable before you get signal problems.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Post your router stats from the end of the extension and then again from the master with nothig else plugged in and let's see if it is haviong an effect on signal.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Router to Microfilter via 15metre cable >
      If this is a good quality RJ11 cable it will be OK. If it is a flat twin telephone cable running through converters, dump it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.