Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky and USA

This is a discussion on Sky and USA within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After 3 days of over an hour on the phone to Sky ive have no choice but to complain this ...

DncMark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky and USA

After 3 days of over an hour on the phone to Sky ive have no choice but to complain this will not be the only place i raise this issue.
      4 or 5 days ago i started having extremely low load speed times on my website www.the**********.org and when downloading on my ftp so i did some troubleshooting to try to find the problem (reformatted my computer checked my connection speed etc) everything was fine and how it should be so i then thought my hosting service had somehow capped my speed or it was some unknow site security affecting me connecting to my site but after all that drew a blank so i contacted sky and in turn fortehosting.com:
      Me:
      After a long troubleshooting exercise i think my ip address or range is being restricted or capped.
      When i use my ftp client it uploads fine but download is crippled at max 10kbps.
      Our site takes forever to load up and other sites hosted by fortehosting.
      I have spoke with my isp and after masking my ip address and discovering it works fine when my ip address is hidden it seems i am in someway being restricted either my individual ip address or SKY's ip address range.
      Ive been trying to solve this problem for the last 3 days and want to get this resolved as fast as possible as it has caused me great concern and distress.
      Reply:
      Hello Mark,
      Can you please provide your IP address? We do not restrict or shape traffic based on IPs. Its possible your particular ISPs connection to the North America is somehow limited. 10 kbps is very slow, we have not heard any complaints from our UK based customers. I need your Ip to look up the route its taking. Also, you can talk to you ISP and find out if their connectivity provider to the US is having any issues? Some times, if the undersea cable has issues for a transatlantic provider, the traffic is routed over the Satellites, this can in turn affect some of the ISPs using a particular transatlantic connectivity provider?
      Did you experience these issues just in the past 3 days?
      I did traceroute from from ours and one other network and got ok responses.
      1 33 ms 24 ms 34 ms [64.27.16.17]
      2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms unknown.xeex.net [216.151.129.145]
      3 1 ms <1 ms * easynet.com.any2ix.crgwest.com [206.223.143.121]
      4 133 ms 133 ms 133 ms te0-0-0-5.gr10.bllon.uk.easynet.net [87.86.77.14]
      5 * * * Request timed out.
      6 * * * Request timed out.
      7 144 ms 139 ms 156 ms cr1.cmgreb.uk.easynet.net [87.87.252.99]
      8 162 ms 161 ms 162 ms 5ad0d003.bb.sky.com [90.208.208.3]
      1 5 0 0 70.84.211.97 61.d3.5446.static.theplanet.com
      2 0 0 0 70.87.254.5 po101.dsr02.dllstx5.theplanet.com
      3 0 0 0 70.85.127.109 po52.dsr02.dllstx3.theplanet.com
      4 0 0 0 70.87.253.25 et3-2.ibr04.dllstx3.theplanet.com
      5 0 0 0 64.208.170.197 gigabitethernet7-3.ar2.dal2.gblx.net
      6 * * *
      7 * * *
      8 122 126 121 87.87.252.99 cr1.cmgreb.uk.easynet.net
      9 143 142 142 90.208.208.3 5ad0d003.bb.sky.com
      Me:
      I dont understand when my ip changes everytime i reboot router it still wont load at any speed yet when i go to www.hi******s.com and type in thegameasylum.org it works fine?
      Reply:
      The site http://www.hi*****s.com/ is a proxy server, so when you use this site, you are essentially using another ISP and route to connect to our network. Your PC then connects to the proxy to see your website.
      This is not true 'Masking', its traffic routing through another network.
      This kind of makes it clear that your ISP connectivity to North America or to a segment of networks in North America is having issues.
      Please ask them that if you connect using another ISP, your site loads faster but not through their network.
      Reply:
      : Ive spent 2 hours on the phone to my isp and after a heap of crap and confussion i finally got through to someone who understood the problem most likely lies with them, i know this because all our members who dont use my isp have no problems also i tried accessing the site using another connection with my isp 15 miles away and guess what? they have the same problem, so i am sorry for wasting your time i hope you gain something from this problem incase anyone else has the same issue, just so you know my isp is sky broadband and i will also leave this ticket open till my isp call me back.
      Thanks for your help,
      Then:
      Hi again,
      I just got off the phone with my isp and basically they cant help me, im hoping you can, they have informed me that they did a "backdoor trace" using a system called putty and the ping times are fine till they hit a server after New York the server time tripples from around 85/87ms to 267ms they told me the problem lies at the following server: cr1.m54ny.ip.att.net they tell me as the problem lies in the usa they can't do anything.
      Is there anything you can do to raise the issue with the isp who owns that server?
      I dont know how many customers you have using sky broadband or who use this server but they will experience the same problem.
      This is really the end of the line for what i or my isp can do i dont even know if you can do anything but if you cant i am trully screwed.
      Hello Mark,
      Let me explain why your ISP is able to do something about this and not really us. I am not just trying to shift the work to the other ISP. Its possible that your ISPs customers are also unable to properly access some large network in the US and not just our servers because of the current issue.
      The party having the connectivity issues, in this case your ISP needs to contact its wholesale connectivity provider who in turn shall create a ticket with the cross Atlantic connectivity provider which may be the AT&T. Your ISP is in turn the customer of both ATT and the wholesale company that they use to buy internet connectivity. If sky explain this issue to their provider the issue will be escalated to the entity that controls this router 'cr1.m54ny.ip.att.net'.
      We are supposed to create a ticket with our up link guys if we are not getting access to a network somewhere on the net. For example, if you are unable to send emails to a network from our servers, we will investigate the issue for you. A simple analogy could be TV broadcast, if everyone is receiving the signals but one house, then the home owner is supposed to check for troubles to their antenna or connectivity and not the broadcast company.
      If you need us to contact someone at Sky then please forward us his or her email address and we will follow up with them and explain point of view.
      Reply:
      I just spoke to them again and they were adamant that there is nothing they can do, i cant understand why they cant just send an email or raise a ticket to like you say AT&T or with BT , they just keep saying its in the US and we cant do anything about it.
      I bet if a few 1000 people rang up they would do something about it, the problem for me is most people would just think its running a bit slow and ignore it, for me i cant download anything from ftp and i have to wait 2-5 mins everytime i load a page on my own site.
      I read your message out and they still said the same and one guy stopped me first sentence and said it does not matter what it says the answer will be the same. Then said "i'll just put you on hold for 2 minutes" 15 minutes later i realised he was not coming back.
      Ive lost the energy for it, maybe i'll do a complaint but im tired of them right now.
      Conclusion:
      It seems to me if sky are paying AT&T and BT (not sure if thats who they are paying) to provide them with a connection how can sky's response be theres nothing we can do and its nothing to do with us? after all , these servers are somewhere along the line getting paid for with our money if not they are providing a poor but free service, if sky are right and it really does not have anything to do with them would it be too much to ask for a life long customer of sky to send a ticket or email to the oversea providers informing them that sky customers only are having a problem going through the cr1.m54ny.ip.att.net server?
      Also the fact that everytime i spoke to someone i had to explain all of this over and over again is just bad service and today after all the problems getting my message accross a nice young lady informed me i am only paying for a residential service and i am breaking my terms and conditions by running a buissness website for gambling was the last straw www.the**********.org is a free site that makes no money and is a forum based xbox360 community for gamers to chat nothing else.
      The Irish lad who thought he was clever by putting me on hold for "2 minutes" connor or connis or something like that should be sacked and stuck on hold for good!
      When i went down the road of discovering what was the cause of my problem it fast became apparent that i was doing sky a favour in researching and highlighting a problem that most people would not take notice of but would still be suffering the same i felt soon as we got to the bottom of it they would sort it out not inform me it has nothing to do with them.
      At one point i was put on hold by Michael in Dunfermline (by far the best i spoke to at sky) he was having a meeting with his manager and someone else about this problem he came back after 15 minutes and informed me of the meeting and if i minded holding on some more yet again i waited then after all this he explained they could not do anything and maybe my hosting company could help me as they are based in US and that their uk sky customers will all be effected by this and this would most likely mean they would act on this information.
      My question would be why should a hosting company worry about SKY customers more than SKY itself?
      A very upset sky customer
      Last edited by DncMark; 14-06-09 at 08:15 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Sky and USA

Just so you know it is not just my website that sky users will be affected on it is every single site that you have to pass through cr1.m54ny.ip.att.net to get too will have appalling speed issues.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just got another reply from my hosting company by the way we only pay very little money for their service yet they give excellent support unlike paying 6 or 7 hundred pound a year and getting rubbish support from sky.
      Below is last message:

Hello Mark,

I understand your frustration and I wish I could help more and we are willing..

Another reason they need to raise a ticket with their provider is because they have access to their network and are in power to do troubleshooting and provide feedback to the backbone provider.

It does not matter if the network is in US or UK or Japan, if we are unable to access a network in UK or Japan, we will raise tickets with our provider who will work with the provider in the UK or Japan to resolve connectivity issues. This is how things are supposed to work. You are customer of SKY, they are customers of BT and BT a customer of AT&T.

I will send email to AT&T's network support but I am not certain I will get anywhere on this with them.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't understand why your hosting provider is saying that Sky are the only ones who can fix it. It's not on the Easynet network so the company with the most motivation can sort it out.

They say: You are customer of SKY, they are customers of BT and BT a customer of AT&T.

But, you are also a customer of the hosting provider who is a customer of XYZ and XYZ is a customer of AT&T.

Other Website On 216.240.135.125
      1.ejuty.com
      2.apartmentguide.ca
      3.mywestend.ca
      4.vancouverguide.ca
      5.howtobegin.com
      6.giftidea.ca
      7.wallysfriends.com
      I think the real question here is why DON'T Sky subscribers want fast access the website of a US based "high volume, low cost" cat & dog neutering vet?

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

DncMark :

This sounds mad to be honest, maybe the OP needs to learm how to use paragraphs so we can understand what is happening..

What it boils down to here there is a hell of a distance between the UK and the USA, most of the data transfer goes from the LINX exchange from London out to the rest of the world. As soon as it leaves the UK then it is picked up by other global exchanges which then move the data along to the rest of the world.

Now in your case, SKY are unable to do anything at all about this.

It doesnt matter if one million customers phoned in about this SKY most likely still wouldnt do nothing, the only thing they could do which would be to install a fiber optic OC3 connection from the UK directly to the USA which we all know wont happen as it would cost literally millions.

The issue is outside the SKY / Easynet network, SKY cannot do anything at all about this.

You can stay on the phone but once it comes to the end of the line which you are at then you are drawing a blank line.

Oh BTW I know alot about the global routing from the UK outwards as I have a server in america which is a small gaming server, my ping time on Virgin Media to ir is 135ms not ideal for UK gamers.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The point is customer care, all sky had to do was send an email or raise a ticket with at&t and i would have been happy with that knowing they have tried to do something rather than say they can do nothing to be fair it would not take much to find an email address for the at&t network.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It would be better to put a letter in a bottle and throw it into the sea and hoping that it gets to the right people.

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DncMark View Post
      The point is customer care, all sky had to do was send an email or raise a ticket with at&t and i would have been happy with that knowing they have tried to do something rather than say they can do nothing to be fair it would not take much to find an email address for the at&t network.
      Why should SKY do that? They dont need to do that and they wont do that, if SKY emailed AT&T and give them all relevant information then what is going to happen? The short answer is nothing.

You are the one that chose the location for this not SKY.
      As stated before once the traffic leaves the Uk, SKY have cant do any thing.

Also in relation to
      Quote Originally Posted by DncMark View Post
      I dont understand when my ip changes everytime i reboot router
      The IP for ALL SKY customer is dynamically assinged so every time you reboot the router you will get a differnet IP address read the sky.com site for that information and SKY also just FYI dont do static IP addresses.

Simple solution: If you want fast download speeds get a server in the UK or hosting in the UK.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narl View Post
      Why should SKY do that? They dont need to do that and they wont do that, if SKY emailed AT&T and give them all relevant information then what is going to happen? The short answer is nothing.

You are the one that chose the location for this not SKY.
      As stated before once the traffic leaves the Uk, SKY have cant do any thing.

Also in relation to

The IP for ALL SKY customer is dynamically assinged so every time you reboot the router you will get a differnet IP address read the sky.com site for that information and SKY also just FYI dont do static IP addresses.

Simple solution: If you want fast download speeds get a server in the UK or hosting in the UK.

You do not get the point do you?]
      FYI
      Ive had this website with that host for 4 years and all of a sudden a server is crippling sky ip addresses no other isp is effected but sky that means sky as a very well payed company should make an effort to see if they can contact the isp that owns that router as its not just one website that sky customers will experience problems on its pottentially a huge network of websites.
      Sky pay Bt, Bt in turn pay AT&T AT&T pay the server costs for that paticular router which means sky customers are paying for that router to fuction im sure if multiple routers rejected sky connections on AT&T sky would look elsewhere for an isp.
      The above has been accepted as true by some sky representatives so how can you argue that?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Also the next time you quote me make sure you put the full sentence i.e
      "I dont understand when my ip changes everytime i reboot router it still wont load at any speed yet when i go to Hide My Ass! Free Proxy and Privacy Tools - Surf The Web Anonymously and type in thegameasylum.org it works fine?"
      That statement does not mean i dont understand that my ip changes, it says WHEN it changes! so my thoughts was if im using a different ip everytime i reset it cant be that my ip is banned it must be ip range i.e sky ip addresses. Thant was later proved when using a sky connection 15 miles away, hidemyass reroutes your connection so it would not of gone through the effected router and if it did it would have worked fine because it would not be using a sky ip address.
      Last edited by DncMark; 17-06-09 at 12:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast